Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Windows 8 – any point upgrading from 7?
  • PJay
    Free Member

One of the main selling points of Windows 8 seems to be the new interface for ‘touch’ systems. Does it offer anything over Windows 7 Pro if it’s only going to be used on a non-touch desktop system?

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

I hated, I mean HATED the dev preview on the desktop, so no IMHO.

cranberry
    Free Member

If you upgrade you can have a horrible UI.

Like my pirate friend, I installed the preview. It got deleted pretty quickly.

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

It boots much faster than Windows 7, I’ll give it that.

druidh
    Free Member

I rarely to a full reboot these days. W7 is just so much more stable than any of its predecessors’ it’s never really needed.

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

I’m running Win 8 RC on three machines.
    A low-end music/file server which previously had freenas 7 installed: It’s been running for the past month with no reboots.. seems very stable.

My main computer which is a low power nettop, switched off nightly. Windows 8 is noticeably faster than Windows 7, though I have had some problems with adobe flash and chrome conflicting.

I’m also dual booting on an old Windows XP machine, windows 8 lags a bit on this machine, but windows xp also runs quite badly. seems to be let down by poor Intel integrated graphics

I don’t use the Metro interface at all

cheez0
    Free Member

i been using it on my new work touchscreen laptop for about a month and i bloody love it! (BT has partnered Microsoft in developing* W8, so some peeps got it earlier than joe public)
    *bughunting/feedback

definitely wont be worth having if you dont have a touchscreen, as the ’tiles’ are designed to be used more like a mobile phone/ ipad.

i would say windows 8 is not really a ‘desktop’ pc kind of thing for the same reason.

For touchscreeners, it’ll be fab once the apps makers start banging out some good stuff!

footflaps

I still haven’t got over the move from XP to W7 – the changes to the start bar seems to be a major step backwards.

avdave2

though I have had some problems with adobe flash and chrome conflicting

Judging from my xp netbook that’s nothing to do with windows 8

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Judging from my xp netbook that’s nothing to do with windows 8

It’s only the adverts on the STW forum that seems to cause the problem for me though.

zokes
    Free Member

There’s two ways to solve that…

Dobbo

Windows 3.11 for workgroups, what more do you need 😐

Dancake
    Free Member

Tried the preview. Gone back to Win 7

Once you click out of the horrible tiles screen you are back to a Win 7 esque desktop anyway (without a Start button)

loads of bugs in the pre-release for me. (sleep/ wake probs) and drivers are still a bit beta (my Graphics would get quite washed out and required a restart)

Previews on Photos didnt work for me. Clicking on a vid sends you to Windows 8 movie screen which likes you to sign in to live, so its VLC player to get over that

Had to use firefox as the new IE had probs (facebook pictures underneath text for example) I like an address bar and tabs. In 8 you have to right click to get it back

not a fan

labsey
    Free Member

Running the evaluation preview. It’s ok, some nice touches but doesn’t hugely improve my life over Windows 7.

Edit – don’t like new IE.

andyl
    Free Member

I have been wondering whether to upgrade to W8 as I can upgrade for £15 (laptop bought this year)

I still need to install the Office 365/2013 demo but I am waiting to get a new SSD as my laptop has a 32gb SSD for cache and 750gb for everything. I want to put the OS and programs on a 128 SSD but need to find the time to do it.

Cheez0 – I don’t have a touchscreen but I am getting one of these when they are released:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6KuiuteIA[/video]

I am very tempted to make a new carbon fibre keyboard surround my my laptop and replace the track pad with the Leap permanently. Failing that I will make a fixture so it clips securely to the front.

Do you think W8 will work well with that kind of interface?

rwc03
    Free Member

Anyone upgraded from win7 on a desktop yet? Tempted as mine is hanging on the starting windows screen occasionally.

Leap device looks great

retro83
    Free Member

I had it on my desktop briefly. It was okay, as long as you installed Classic Shell or similar to get the normal desktop working again.

Not worth an upgrade from 7 tho, and I’ve gone back as XBMC wasn’t playing ball with 8.

ericemel
    Free Member

I own an ipad and a laptop.

Do I need W8?

duffmiver
    Free Member

I own an ipad and a laptop.

Do I need W8?

You already have one crap OS, why bother with another?

ericemel
    Free Member

You already have one crap OS, why bother with another?

So many people must have got it so wrong.

aracer
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilXVkgmJk2E[/video]

Northwind

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy a Windows release before it’s been Servicepacked.

aracer
    Free Member

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy a Windows release before it’s been Servicepacked when it’s still in beta.

Flash
    Free Member

I’ve had it on my work machine for a while, I’ll not be using it at home. As said above it’s like Windows 7 but with a touchy interface that’s a bit clumsy on a desktop.

It is however very good on a touch screen machine, it could put MS into the market, especially for business use.

jam-bo

aracer – Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilXVkgmJk2E

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

does that count as Godwin’s law?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Windows 8 – any point upgrading from 7?’ is closed to new replies.