Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Windows 7 ~ Where to buy?
  • P20

I got the student deal on windows 7 professional awhile back, but i can no longer find it 😳 It was the download version. I need to reinstall as the computer isn’t right, the ssd which is ony supposed to be running the OS is full.
    The current deal for student software is upgrade only, so i’ll have to buy the full version. Where’s the best deal? Professional or ultimate in 64bit form?

scuzz
    Free Member

I usually go for OEM copies
    Scan have some. £107 for Pro, probably a better deal out there though.
    But if you have your original product key, you can get an iso of the OS and use it. Just google Win7 student edition iso.

theflatboy
    Free Member

you can download the full professional version from lots of places, the key just lets you use it.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Software for Students if you have a suitable victim in your house.

A DVD copy of Win 7 Pro costs about £35

dan1980
    Free Member

If you have a valid key (for your full student copy) then you can do a full, clean install using upgrade media.

There’s instructions on the internet on how to do this, it requires a little registry hack, but it’s very simple to do.

Edited to add:
    I bought the student download version when it launched, and I can still download the files via the link they sent me in the email. That might be worth a shot too.

P20

I think it’s too long for to try redownloading it. Any idea how I would find my key?
    So looking at the above replies, I can download the upgrade, then update if I get it from softwareforstudents

molgrips
    Free Member

the ssd which is ony supposed to be running the OS is full

You don’t need to re-install.. you can fix this issue..

It’s probably your system restore points or your winsxs.

Have you run the cleanup tool on the drive?

uplink
    Free Member
    P20

Molgrips its not in a pretty state to be honest. I tried resolving it part way through using it once I realised the problem and there’s files every where.
    Uplink, cheers I’ll try that when I’ve back

samuri
    Free Member

I got mine from software for students for 35 quid.
    I wanted to install on a brand new SSD so I just dropped XP on there, no need to provide a serial number, then installed win 7 over the top. It moves XP into a new folder which you just delete when it’s finished.

I_Ache
    Free Member

What is with software for students. It looks like you have to be a student to buy it but do the usage Ts&Cs say you have to be a student to use it? just wondering because I use my laptop at work so cant be doing anything that is in a bit of a grey area.

Waderider
    Free Member

If you keep using windows you may keep ending up with computers that “aren’t right” 😆 (yes I know it’s not easy to change OSes)

Check compatability of your hardware and the programmes you want to use with 64 bit versions of Windows. Some drivers may not come in 64 bit versions, and some software may be problematic also.

nuke

As per samuri, if you’re a student or have kids in school then you can buy from http://www.software4students.co.uk … I bought from them when my son joined school at 4 years old: I bought a full version of Office 2007 for £35 a couple of years ago.

I_Ache
    Free Member

So as long as my 4YO uses my laptop to play educational cbeebies games its totally legal for me to also use the laptop for business purposes?

chvck
    Free Member

It looks like you have to be a student to buy it but do the usage Ts&Cs say you have to be a student to use it?

Pretty sure they do, I’m fairly sure you’re not actually meant to give your key to anyone else (which is effectively what you’re doing if you buy it for someone else)

Dunno how it stands on the above post!

Drac

No the Microsoft t&cs on software 4 students state you need a relative in some form of education to buy and use it.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I got Win 7 Pro and Office 2010 a few weeks ago for £65 from Software 4 students.

Office is good for 2 PC’s, too.

P20

Crisis avoided. I’ve found my disc. Now just a couple of hours of swearing and cursing at the computer trying to get it working. Cheers guys

chvck
    Free Member

No the Microsoft t&cs on software 4 students state you need a relative in some form of education to buy and use it.

I stand corrected, I was thinking of the msdnaa stuff!

uplink
    Free Member

So as long as my 4YO uses my laptop to play educational cbeebies games its totally legal for me to also use the laptop for business purposes?

Yeah, just make sure you close the curtains to avoid detection

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7 ~ Where to buy?’ is closed to new replies.