Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Windows 7 update problems !! Please help.
  • renton
    Free Member

OK so I was downloading and installing a copy of windows 10 to my computer that normally runs windows 7 home premium.

At around 44% my little lad knocked the plug out of the wall by accident and the computer went off!!

I turned it back on and it wouldn’t continue with the 10 update and also wouldn’t load 7 so I had to do a fresh install.

I formatted the partition and lost everything which is ok as there wasnt much on the computer anyway. however after doing the windows 7 install from the disc I cant get windows update to work.

It literally keeps scrolling across the page for hours??

Ive tried to use the microsoft fixit thing but it says there is nothing wrong with it??

Any ideas?

Cougar

Run a chkdsk.

Run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.

What’s the ‘disc’? Is it a retail copy of Windows or a recovery disc for the PC? Or something else?

Is SP1 installed?

GrahamS

I had this problem with Windows Update recently. It just stuck on the Looking for Updates progress bar for hours.

I eventually got it working by setting it to do the update automatically (like in 10 minutes time) then Microsoft’s Windows Update Reset fix, rebooting and waiting for the auto-update to do its thing.

cranberry
    Free Member

2 points:

1. No pudding

2. Run this – it *should* sort things out for you.

renton
    Free Member

cranberry?

what am I running?

cranberry
    Free Member
    renton
    Free Member

Ha.

I’ve tried that one before and even though it says it’s fixed the issue it still won’t work.

Just trying another clean install of 7.

Cougar

What’s the point of asking for help if you’re then going to ignore it and do something else entirely?

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

One of my PC’s updated using Windows Update, the other two I used this link.

Manually run Windows 10 install

You can either choose to upgrade the current PC, or get it to download the ISO which you can then burn to a DVD and install on another PC.

br
    Free Member

What’s the point of asking for help if you’re then going to ignore it and do something else entirely?

Have you not read any of Renton’s bike-related posts? 😉

renton
    Free Member

Sorry cougar I did reply but obviously hasn’t been posted up !!

I ran through the bits you suggested and it didn’t show anything up ?

The disc I have is Windows 7 home premium for refurbished pc’s. It has sp1 on it to.

renton
    Free Member

Well this is pants.

I’ve got no sound now either.

renton
    Free Member

Has anyone else got any ideas please.

z1ppy

Have you tried just turning on the auto-update option? Or if it’s on, just leave it to get on & update the machine. I found the update option on a clean win7 install didn’t seem to be doing anything but the auto-update was doing stuff, that wasn’t obvious until you shut down (shutdown button has ‘updates’ attached)

renton
    Free Member

Yep that’s on mate too. Normally I get a little icon saying updates are being downloaded/installed but I have nothing.

It’s been searching for updates for an hour now ?

z1ppy

Hmm I’d expect the icon to be there, even if the ‘updater’ was bring weird.. No ‘updates’ sitting on the shutdown button?

Cougar

for refurbished pc’s.

For what now? Are you a MAR, or is that a hooky copy? Does it activate cleanly?

Why not just get the .ISO on another machine and go straight to W10?

johnners
    Free Member

If you’ve installed Win 7 SP1 it’ll still be looking to download and install about 700Mb of updates pretty much right away, I would expect that to take a while and several reboots. Just go away and leave it alone for a bit.

Or do what Cougar says and go straight to 10.

renton
    Free Member

Cougar I bought the disc from Amazon to update an old xp machine and its been working fine , installing updates and I even got the 10 update icon.

Since the incident yesterday though the computer is playing silly buggers.

I’ve formatted the drive and tried to install it 3 times now with no difference.

It activates straight away ?

It’s the only pc in the house.

renton
    Free Member

Is there any way of finding and installing the updates in needs to trigger the 10 update with using Windows update ?

renton
    Free Member

Oh and no updates when shutting down either

Greybeard
    Free Member

Formatting the drive may have lost the licence ID, so it now thinks it’s an illegal copy of Windows and won’t update.

Northwind

I think it’s the wrong size

renton
    Free Member

What’s the licence id?

I’ve got the product key and that activates online straight away ?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant product key, just could remember what they call it. If it’s acknowledging that it’s a genuine copy of Windows I don’t know what else it might be, apart from the things you’ve tried. Sorry.

Cougar

Well,

If it installs, you have a working system. So you could use that to get the W10 .ISO, then do a clean install.

renton
    Free Member

Can you tell me how to do that please.

cranberry
    Free Member

If you want to fix Windows 7, try installing the latest version of Windows Upate from here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

renton
    Free Member

Well just as an update.

I started downloading the Windows10 stuff earlier and it must of repaired the 7 install as it has just started installing 187 updates that it needs !!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7 update problems !! Please help.’ is closed to new replies.