Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Windows 7 Considerable Annoyance
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Someone please help before I put my foot through the computer screen.

I scrapped my old laptop and stuck the HDD in my desktop running W7. Anyway, I’m trying to clean up this drive and there’s some random folder with a padlock on it that I want to delete. When I try to delete it I get a ‘You need permission for this action’ or something similar. The damned impertinence of it! If I had a gun I would’ve shot it immediately, Elvis style.

How do I make this go away? I don’t need crazy security, or multiple accounts etc. It’s MY computer.

Aargh!

oldnpastit

Boot a Linux recovery disk that understands NTFS and remove it from there?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Hmm, I was hoping to turn off the actual feature that’s put a padlock on it so it never happens again. Amazing how annoyed it’s got me 👿

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Olly
    Free Member

ReFormat the Bastard! that’ll show him. (or boot a linux installation from a USB drive, as above. Im just making one myself!)

Mr_C
    Free Member

Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories and right-click on Windows explorer. Select Run as administrator then try and delete the offending folder.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Yep, that’s what I’m gonna do. Take everything off I want and reformat it. If it tells me I don’t have the credentials to do this I think I will actually explode.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories and right-click on Windows explorer. Select Run as administrator then try and delete the offending folder.

Didn’t work. Told me I need permission from administrators.

Mr_C
    Free Member

You need to log in as an administrator then.

Have you tried asking a parent to help you. 🙂

jambourgie
    Free Member

😀

Well I just assumed I was the administrator.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m assuming you want some of the stuff from that drive?
    Was it a windows 7 device?

I’d recommend you recover the data you want off that disk, move it somewhere else and then format that disk.

jambourgie
    Free Member

It’s an internal laptop HDD I pulled out of my old laptop running lovely old XP. I’ve shoved it in my new desktop which has this new-fangled W7, to use as extra storage.

I’m not used to W7 and this multiple personality lark.

samuri
    Free Member

If you don’t want anything off it then just format it.
    In the menu, type ‘disk management’ in the entry bar which should give you the tool used to manage disks. From there you should be able to easily format the drive and add it as a second disk.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Yes. I shall do that. Thanks.

Right. To the pub.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7 Considerable Annoyance’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts