Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Windows 7 – Anyone using it
  • lowey

Installed it tonight, and I have to say very impressed. Very slick, installs all the drivers automatically and some real nice features… seems very slick and fast too.

Anyone else using it ?

andywhit
    Free Member

Nope, XP here. Will probably ditch M$ and use Linux when the time comes to change.

mossimus
    Free Member

Yes been using it for a while. Seems ok some nice touches, like the new screen capture utility

druidh
    Free Member

I’m waiting for it to be available on new systems and then I’ll buy one with it installed.

lowey

Well you can get the Release Candidate version for free at the moment. 12 month licence to see if you like it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Release Candidate version

In normal English, what does it mean?

druidh
    Free Member

Nah – I’d rather get it pre-installed on a PC that’s been all tested and so on. I cannae be arsed re-building the one I have and it’ll likely be a wee bit underpowered for it (and then I’d have to do another rebuild next year too….)

druidh
    Free Member

The RC version is “pre-prodution”. Think of it as an extended public beta test. However, it’s unlikely there will be any major changes now as the “production” version has been sent to all the PC manufacturers and software houses. The RC version is freely downloadable from Microsoft but will expire next year.

robbo1234biking

Yeh been using it for 2 weeks now after the computer pretty much slowed to a halt with Vista. Seems much faster and bug free but that might just be the clean install!

CountZero

Yes been using it for a while. Seems ok some nice touches, like the new screen capture utility

Is that like the screen capture feature I’ve had on my PowerBook for the last six years, and on my iPhone for six months?

druidh
    Free Member

Surely Windows has had screen capture for years and years. Just press the PrtScn button.

GrahamS

Is that like the screen capture feature I’ve had on my PowerBook for the last six years, and on my iPhone for six months?

erm… You’ve been able to capture the screen in Windows since at least Windows 95, possibly earlier, by using PrintScreen key on the keyboard. The “new” screen capture just adds a few more options so you’d don’t have to bother installing SnagIt or a similar app.

I’m still using Vista64 here and pretty happy with it. Not seen any compelling reasons to go to Win7 yet.

druidh
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

erm… You’ve been able to capture the screen in Windows since at least Windows 95, possibly earlier,

Windows 3.1 – 1992 IIRC

GrahamS

Yep, sounds about right. Nice that Apple have finally caught up 😉

acjim
    Free Member

I’ve heard from a friend that Windows 7 will run much better than Vista on lower spec machines. He has it running well on an ancient pentium (4 i think).

I’m interested in using it on my laptop but nervous that my apps won’t work, any info on compatibility?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I believe that Windows 7 will also run on Netbooks. Vista is too much and too pricy) for Netbooks which is why they run XP instead

druidh
    Free Member

acjim – Win7 also has an XP compatability mode

aP
    Free Member

Used to use screen capture on a mac definitely in 95, and pretty certain the early 90s.

shaunthesheep
    Free Member

So when will we see Windows 7 installed as std by the major PC manufacturers?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Been using 7 for a while now in various guises. Very happy with it. Every piece of usb hardware I have, and firewire has been detected and installed and is fully working.

Odd bits of software doesn’t work but does seem to in XP or Vista compat mode. It just feels nicer than xp64 or vista64. I’ve got is dual boot with v64 on the offchance that something i used doesn’t work, but I’ve not used Vista for months now.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

shaunthesheep – Member

So when will we see Windows 7 installed as std by the major PC manufacturers?

Released on 22nd of October they reckon.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7 – Anyone using it’ is closed to new replies.