Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Windows 7
  • bluebird
    Free Member

Does anyone know where can I get a full boxed version of windows 7 Pro 64 bit? It must be the full boxed retail version (not OEM) as I need it for Bootcamp.

Thanks

Daffy

Can you buy a version of Windows 8.1 Pro retail and exercise your rights to downgrade. Microsoft should provide you with the key and the software.

timba
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good luck, found lots of dodgy sellers and then luckily found a copy in my LCS.
    Is there a reason you can’t use the OEM version? It installs the same so long as it’s the MS version not the manufacturer bodged version (Dell etc) it’s just licensed to one install only once activated.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You can use the OEM version. I use Win 7 Pro 64-bit from a Dell disc on Bootcamp and Parallels on my iMac and MBP.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I believe the OP may want the retail version due to licensing issues?

I don’t think it’s for sale any more, if you (or someone you know) has Dreamspark Premium access (available to STEM students and teachers) then you can get a copy from there otherwise you’re limited to tracking down a copy.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I haven’t seen any full packaged Win7 packs in the channel for ages – eBuyer have low-cost packaged Win7Pro but it’s OEM (non-branded).

What’s your reasoning for non-OEM?

I don’t know what bootcamp is.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I don’t know what bootcamp is.

Macs have a built-in system called Bootcamp which makes it possible to partition the main drive and run a Windows OS.

It appears from the OP that they’re of the belief that Bootcamp won’t work if an OEM ISO is used, which is not the case.

aracer
    Free Member

This – you can download the Win7 installation media (it’s freely available on one of the MS servers).

squirrelking
    Free Member

It appears from the OP that they’re of the belief that Bootcamp won’t work if an OEM ISO is used, which is not the case.

OP never said that.

As I said, it could be down to licensing issues.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Cool your boots. I said that it appeared that it was a OEM/Bootcamp compatibility issue, not that it was a certainty. What would the licensing issue be, other than that the OEM is meant as a pre-installed OS?

Sandwich

OEM will be fine but you are on your own for support if it all goes wrong. Microsoft will expect the installer of the OEM to put it right. This might be a problem in a professional scenario. There is also a hooky way of using an upgrade disc to install the full version but I couldn’t recommend this.
    A downgrade for 8.1 is probably your best hope OP if you need support in future.

squirrelking
    Free Member

There is also a hooky way of using an upgrade disc to install the full version but I couldn’t recommend this.

Not hooky, removing ei.cfg is totally legit as you still need a valid licence key for whichever version you choose.

OEM is meant to be pre-installed. There you go. Not trying to be funny here but that can make a difference from certain perspectives especially where businesses and licenses are concerned. Plus the support issue.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Three Fish – meant to say I wasn’t having a go either 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7’ is closed to new replies.