Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Windows 10…
  • GrahamS

I STILL don’t get why you’d use computer name though

Yeah it’s an odd choice. If they wanted a hardware-specific unique-ish value then something like the MAC id or a serial number would have seemed like a better choice.

But we’re just guessing really – it’s an odd bug and probably down to silly developer somewhere and some crap code reviewing.

dannybgoode

Well Windows 10 Tech Preview installed and first impressions are favourable.

I actually really liked 8.1 as I used the Modern UI screen as a really big start menu in effect and with a windows button on my mouse could quickly toggle between desktop and start screen.

W10 has a proper start menu but also nests the tiles of your choosing along side – works very well on a desktop PC.

I’ll be interested to see what they do with RT based tablets and WP. I would imagine the dev preview of WP10 will be released before the year’s end.

W10 seems pretty stable and they are releasing updates all the time so if you’re feeling brave I’d say go for it.

As for the name the most rational explanation I have seen is that certain functions within the Windows source code and some application source code checks to see whether Windows 95 or 98me is being run. However in a situation not too dissimilar to the millennium bug the code only checks for a 9 – so something like ‘if OS version == 9x then…’ etc. This would cause things to fall over quite badly if true.

aracer
    Free Member

Well Windows 10 Tech Preview installed

Can’t get it to install under VirtualBox here 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Installed it under VMWare, seems to work. Lots of little bugs though as you’d expect.

It looks lovely, works very well but the huge thing is the integration with tablet and phone platforms. Because this means apps, for your computer.

After a decade or two of everything becoming more centred on webpages, now it’s gone back the other way. There’s a facebook app, and it looks the same as the phone one. Not sure how I feel about this.

On the other hand, there’s a One Note app which I open and I can see all the notes from my phone in there straight away. No finding of bookmarks and logging in. Very integrated.

I’m not sure how much it’ll take off because are developers really going to want to spend all that effort on a website and then do it all again for the app? Then again, Windows is by far the dominant OS still, so maybe. It could be great for Windows Phone if they do, because the apps should all work on that too if I understand correctly.

Currently listening to an XBox radio station I just created 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

*ahem*

http://thehackernews.com/2014/10/download-Windows-10-keylogger.html

Best not be using that partition for one handed typing then…

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10…’ is closed to new replies.