Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Windows 10 upgrade – scanning problems
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

BIL upgraded his work oomputer to W10 from W7 and now the Canon rscanner is working inconsistently. Have changed software from ScantoPDF to WinScan2PDF and after working for a bit yesterday it has now stopped.

Are driver updates required / automatic or should be go to Canon support site ?
    Any ideas ?
    Any good support sites ?

Cougar

Driver / software updates would be my first port of call, aye. Have a look on Canon’s site.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My LiDE 25 has been rendered inoperative with W10. IIRC 64Bit OS’s are not playing well with some older scanners and W10 has made it even worse.

I gather there’s a third-party driver/software package you can buy, thought I forget where from.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks muchly. Off round to the office later (not a holiday in France) trying to debug an unfamilair os in a foreign language – all guess work anyway really 😉 Have to chuckle as wisdom of boss / BIL upgrading OS then going skiing for a week leaving office hand in the merde.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Have you tried running the program in compatibility mode were you can select Wndows 7?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Our MP160 has officially been left behind by Canon. Unofficially you just need the Win 7 64 bit drivers and you can use it through the Windows fax and scan app, no more MP Navigator (yaay).

Admittedly it took a few attempts and then for some reason it just worked I think the success was down to using 7 drivers instead of the usual Vista ones and not running in compatibility mode. I’d advise just googling for his particular model.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks again, will look at all of this. Model is MF5730 will google it

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Will check the above links too. Ta.

PS – Cougar I emailed you a while back…

Cougar

Did you? That’s odd. Will check.

Cougar

Oh dear. I’m a nob.

I set up a STW filter on my email a while back to keep everything in one place, then promptly forgot all about it. There’s half a dozen unread emails in there from various folk. Oops.

I’ll get back to you over the weekend at some point.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Update. Re-installed drivers and it does seem the old scanning software (winscan2pdf and the canon) does not work with Win10. Vuescan does work but its $50 + 8O. …. more searching required

jambalaya
    Free Member

😥 😥 😥

tillydog
    Free Member

Revert to Windows 7 while you still can?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Why are you running that? If the drivers work windows can do it natively without using proprietary software.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why are you running that? If the drivers work windows can do it natively without using proprietary software.

Windows fax/scan does not work – just hangs …… vuescan worked fine but we are looking for something without the cost. Focus on getting a newer scanner to work. Absolute crime that aperfectly working device now looks like its jink after W10 “upgrade”

squirrelking
    Free Member

Hmm works fine for me, wonder if the drivers are the issue?

Looks like Canon are still making drivers for it…

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0900814201.html

…and software…

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0200156304.html

…and Windows 10 is listed as supported for both.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@squirrel – thanks for those links, we tried replacing the drivers more than once but happy to try again. The WFS app just hangs trying to establish a connection to the scanner, its a multi-function device and printing works.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah, I had to make sure the old ones were compketely uninstalled including any and all canon software. PITA but I couldn’t see much under windows 10 issues, it could be an 8+ thing. Not got time to look today, night shift again tonight so will have another search and see if theres anything of note that could be causing it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks for look, have a good day. We”re battling on. Took 15 mins to find the physcial connection to other scanner (had to lift scanner lid 😳 ) Its been an IT day as we put a new ssd into a friends mac. We sent her a spoof picture of tools required.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Sad to say you’re probably not that far off the mark there!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Got the newer Brother scanner/printer working before running out of time. Haven’t given up on the Canon yet 😕

holst
    Free Member

I have the same scanner. I couldn’t get it to work with Win10. The printer still works fine. It’s over 10 years old now so not really surprising that Canon have stopped supporting it with drivers. I have a bunch of other scanners at work so wasn’t worth wasting much time trying to get it working. It was nice to have a scanner at home as well though, sof you do get it to work, please post what you did.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 upgrade – scanning problems’ is closed to new replies.