Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Windows 10 update issues
  • Harry_the_Spider

I took the opportunity to upgrade my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last night. At the end on a lengthy download the setup software hung at the “looking for updates” / “tidying up” stage and as far as I know did not complete.

When I switched it on this morning to did a lot of updating, then started in Windows 7.

What do I do now?

Help me STW, you’re my only hope.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Save it a seat on that rocket to the Sun??

cp

It’s not unusual for the update to take 10+ hours. Did you switch it off when it looked like it was hung? If so, just try running the update again, but leave it to fully finish. No idea what it’s doing that takes so long.

Cougar

The first one can take a while, but it does seem to bork at the drop of a hat. There’s a FixIt for it, I’ll see if I can dig it out.

Cougar

Ah, I missed this,

then started in Windows 7.

What I’d do is create installation media (there’s a tool on MS’s website to create a USB / DVD), then choose “keep nothing” to wipe it and do a clean install. Obviously you’ll need to backup any data (which you do anyway, right?) and reinstall apps afterwards.

cp

/¦\

that’s the way I did it, took about 45 mins to install. I always like to do a clean install

martinhutch

Mine decided it wanted to do about 250 updates shortly after the W10 install. I don’t think there’s any alternative to just leaving it powered up to sort itself out.

Obviously the standard STW answer is that you should have installed Linux. 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Has anyone suggested Linux yet? How about Arch…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 update issues’ is closed to new replies.