Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Windows 10 uninstall help needed please.
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Evening all
    My parents have updated their laptop to windows 10, but its not right. It keeps stuttering and flicking, half their things no longer work, printer is the main one.
    So, we’re trying to uninstall and go back to Windows 7, but here’s the problem, when you open the control panel to access the uninstall bit, the control panel just flicks open then closes again, it wont allow us to get into the control panel. Is there another way to uninstall? Or does anyone have a solution they could offer please. They’ve tried looking on the internet and there seems to be a few examples of this but none of the solutions have worked for them.
    Also, if they contact Microsoft, is it 100% safe to allow Microsoft to have remote access to their laptop, we talked about this and they’re not too happy at the thought.
    Fingers crossed and thanks in advance.

cranberry
    Free Member

I take it you have already tried installing the latest video card drivers for Windows 10 to cure the flickering problem ( and new printer drivers ) ?

houndlegs
    Free Member

No, and being a bit of a luddite, I dont know what that is. Is there some sort of idiots guide to do this anywhere, or are they better off taking it to a shop?

Cougar

I think a malware scan would be my first port of call.

I *think* you should be able to roll back from the recovery menu if it’s inside 30 days since the upgrade. F8 on boot.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar, had’nt thought of malware scan, and that is something I can do 😀
    It’s well within the 30 days, so I’ll try the f8 thing as well.
    I’m on the Microsoft website at the moment, reading about creating a media disc on a good PC and trying to re install using that, so I can try that as well.
    Thanks again.

JPR
    Free Member

The glitchy-ness really sounds like a graphics card driver issue – whatever you do sorting this is going to make it easier.

Press the windows key and type “updates”. Click check for updates and hopefully it’ll just find a load including graphics drivers and download and install them.

Failing that you’ll either need to work out what graphics driver you need, or go to the computer manufacturers website and find the appropriate driver for that model.

Always worth googling the computer model along with “windows 10” and “graphics driver” or “glitchy graphics”

houndlegs
    Free Member

Thanks JPR, I’m off down there tomorrow to see if I can help, so thats a few things I can try.
    I think it might be big headache day tomorrow 😆

mattyfez

My nan had graphics driver issues when I upgraded her, running Windows update or going to the relevant site (nvidia or amd) and manually updating the driver should hopefully fix it.. They have tools that automatically detect what graphics drivers you need, but try a windows update first as there are documented graphics driver issues. I don’t mean to sound condescending but a graphics driver is basically some software that tells windows what your graphics card is, and how to best use it.. If the driver is not quite the right version you will get issues.

My nans picked up the right driver by running Windows update and checking optional updates and selecting the graphics driver.

If you’ve successfully installed win10 and picked up some malware, the critical thing is to get the win10 key so you can upgrade in future.
    Malware bytes is quite a decent one to download and run if you get really stuck.

I wouldn’t worry about the printer for now, just get the system stable.

I’d manually run Windows update in the first instance and check all critical and optional updates.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’ve only gone and bloody fixed it 😀
    Thanks for the tips everyone, it pointed me in the right direction, and with a bit more reading and fannying about, it took three installs, but I got there in the end.
    Thanks again.

scaredypants

just biding its time – when do you leave ? 😉

houndlegs
    Free Member

Ha, I’ve already told them if it goes again, its back to W7 and bloody staying on it 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 uninstall help needed please.’ is closed to new replies.