• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dan11.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Windows 10: How do I make this stop?!?
  • SaxonRider

About every ten seconds, my typing/browsing gets interrupted by some search thing that pops up on the left hand side. I have tried to determine how to shut the stupid function off, but much like RDS on my car radio, I can’t find it and it is provoking me, at short intervals, into apoplectic rage.

Please help! How do I make it stop? 🙁

SaxonRider

Well, I just learnt it’s called ‘Cortana’, but every setting I try will not remove it, or stop it from popping up.

Cougar

Is your Windows key stuck? Mash the keyboard.

SaxonRider

Thanks for that, except that the advice states:

1. Right click on the task bar.
    2. Select the “Search” option.
    3. You’ll now see three new options for what to do. To make it go away altogether hit “Disabled.”
    4. If you still want to keep it but want more space on the task bar, select “Show search icon” and the box will be replaced by a little magnifying glass icon.
    5. To make it all come back again follow the same steps but hit the option to enable the search box.

Yet when I select the ‘Search’ option, all I get is ‘Hidden’, ‘Show search icon’, and ‘Show search box’.

No option to ‘disable’ appears.

maccruiskeen

Have you tried uninstalling Internet Explorer?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjj9newZBp0[/video]

rwb61
    Free Member

Excellent, thank you sobriety, been bugging me for ages too.

GrahamS

I thought Cortana was voice-activated.

Are you shouting at your PC?

Or perhaps it’s picking up on you muttering darkly to yourself as you browse the forum?

SaxonRider

I have now tried unpinning it from start menu, but it makes no difference. It just keeps appearing exactly as in the screenshot, about every 30 seconds. 👿

rwb61
    Free Member

Follow the instructions as before and select “hidden”, worked for me, not popped up since

SaxonRider

Tried that, rwb61. It worked for a few minutes, but then the box started popping up again.

MSP

There’s an option under mouse & touchpad to pop up Cortana with a three finger tap, your computer is probably thinking you’re doing that.

According to the internet, though I can’t find that setting.

The hide just seems to remove it from the taskbar, you can turn cortana off, it is on my system and I don’t ever recall making that change.

MrOvershoot

Odd I have 4 PC’s running Win10 at home and have never seen that ever?

SaxonRider

Well, we have four PC laptops at home, all running Windows 10, and two out of four of them are experiencing this, exactly as you see it in the screenshot, above.

tails
    Free Member
    SaxonRider

That would be funny, tails, except that I have been an exclusive Mac user since at least 1993, and still have an iMac desktop as well as an iPhone.

And if there is one thing that has become clear to me in the last number of years, it’s that they all brands are shit. Without being in any way a technophobe, I flipping HATE the things.

matt_outandabout

Is it when typing or when using trackpad or when speaking or when doing nothing?

My work laptop had an uber sensitive trackpad with multi touch things going on – I disabled them as it was causing all sorts of zooming in, menus openin etc etc.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I have found Linux Mint seems to be an ideal solution for relatives laptops who are getting annoyed with Windows 10. If all you do is browse the web, write a few word docs and play a few indie games it’s ideal.

MrOvershoot

Still don’t get what you are suffering, if I type anything into the search do daha on any of the 4 machines all I get is what I typed?

All these machines were “upgraded” from Win8 or Win7 though so perhaps its a new on Win10 only problem?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Yep. It’s the three-finger tap shortcut that’s doing it?

I suffered from it on the lappy but not the desktop.

Travis

is your Mouse a blue tooth one?

You can disable the pad if you are using a blue tooth mouse.

I used to have all sorts of weird things happening, when my fingers went anywhere near the pad.

dan11
    Free Member

Buy a Mac?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10: How do I make this stop?!?’ is closed to new replies.