Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 366 total)
  • Windows 10 – Day 0 installation.
  • ratherbeintobago

Mine is coming up with unknown error code 8007003.

Is that the Store or elsewhere?

porlus
    Free Member

No download available for mine yet. Is it meant to be a semi staggered roll out.

steelfan
    Free Member

Started mine about 1.5hrs ago and it just has box on the screen saying working on it. I can still use the laptop.

ratherbeintobago

Is it meant to be a semi staggered roll out.

Evidently, yes, contrary to what a lot of people understood (that it would download in advance and be ready to go today). Still, they’re not planning to do a roll-out on this sort of scale again…

porlus
    Free Member

Like a dummy i’ve just read the FAQ and it says that haha. Me an my impatience.

jon1973
    Free Member

no upgrade app for me yet – trying to check for update and it’s telling there are connection problems, same thing when i try to check for updates for defeder.. able to browse ok. any ideas?

chvck
    Free Member

Installed it this evening, looks a bit nicer than 8.1 and the action centre looks like it could be useful. I don’t use the start menu anyway so not a huge amount of difference noticed yet! Still no tabbed file explorer though so still using brightexplorer too.

nemesis
    Free Member

Been having some problems with using IE (or whatever it’s called now) and Chrome but I expect that’s because it’s still running updates – It’s clearly connected to the internet because I can reliably remote to it. FWIW, it does seem to be running better now so maybe a slow computer running updates(?) and indexing photos, music, etc is just causing it to run a bit slow.

Having used it a bit, it’s more like an updated version of W7 than an update to 8.1 which I really didn’t think was good. Pleased with it so far as it seems much more of an obvious improvement over W7 rather than just a change.

Also, my Lynx tablet has the update downloading though I had to do the force download as detailed here:

How to force Windows to start downloading the Windows 10 update files

julians
    Free Member

Been playing with it for a few hours now on a surface pro 3.

Seems fine,no obvious issues so far, definitely an improvemnt on win 8.1.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Running it in a Virtualbox VM on a Macbook (Core i5), with only 1Gb RAM allocated. Its much quicker than I thought it would be. Quite impressed with the limited testing I’ve done on it.

scaredypants

I haven’t actively done anything since requesting/reserving the upgrade a while ago but the icon has now disappeared from my taskbar

Is that normal ?

(w update still says that my upgrade is reserved)

scaredypants

(I tried the preview version months ago and in terms of interface it seemed a atep up from W8 even then, and didn’t crash once in about a month of use – I’m guessing the released version will be “pretty much fine”)

… once you’ve backed everything up

seosamh77
    Free Member

installed fine here, took about 45 minutes, working perfectly.

Rio

Just loaded it on an Intel Atom-powered netbook; took ages (3+ hours?) to upgrade but seems to run fine, much better than with Win7 basic.

I’ve also loaded it on a desktop which was quick but what is it with Microsoft and email programmes nowadays? Win 8.1 mail was pretty crap but on this one I can’t even get past the splash screen; it seems to want me to enter accounts that are already there. Also I was surprised to find some photos I took on my iphone today have appeared in the photos app – I can only assume it’s already been fishing in iCloud without telling me. Privacy? Who needs it. 😕

squirrelking
    Free Member

seems to run fine, much better than with Win7 basic.

Just about anything runs better than that piece of shit version, only worse OS I’ve seen was Vista Basic.

Currently force installing it on my ‘incompatible’ craptop, seems there is a way to make the X300 legacy drivers work 🙂 Working so far at 1600×1200, thankfully that’s more than enough to work with till I get it back up to 1900×1200

seosamh77
    Free Member

I am getting one issue, can’t seem to load up the windows 10 setting dialogue? Anyone else?

squirrelking
    Free Member

On install? Or once it’s on?

I’ve been fine for both, let it do some updating and shut down for the night. Everything looks to have survived the transition though to be fair it was only a 2-3 week old build of 8.1.

lonesomewanderer
    Free Member

Installed on my Linx 8 Tablet but needed an extra restart before it would activate. Orientation sensor and physical Windows button don’t work so I’m gonna have to hunt down a driver for those, otherwise it’s quite snappy…

aracer
    Free Member

Well that wasn’t quite what they said in their presentation in China…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Where they said “Please for the love of HiMem, stop using IE 6. Here, take this DVD, take it all, just UPPPGGGRRRAAADDDEEE!”.

Perchance?

bigdean

So running the upgrade compatability wizard. It says my version is not compatible. Using windows 7 ultimate n with sp1, on a core i7 with 16Gb of ram.
    Would have thought this would be suitable. Grrr

mudmonster
    Free Member

Installed it last night, took hours and hours. My tracker pad no longer works, lucky I have a mouse.

Kahurangi

So running the upgrade compatability wizard. It says my version is not compatible. Using windows 7 ultimate n with sp1, on a core i7 with 16Gb of ram.

Do you have a video card with no supported driver or anything like that?

schmiken

Downloaded yesterday, running fine here. Quite liking it so far, although initial setup takes a while.

scotroutes

This 5 year old Windows 7 system I’m currently using has never been tuned, cleaned out, tweaked or adjusted in any way and I was thinking of a re-install anyway. Seems like it would be better to just jump to Windows 10. I was wondering if it was possible to do a clean install rather than an upgrade though? MIght have to upgrade, do the registration process and then start clean?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

You can do a clean install by downloading the win 10 ISO from the MS website.

jolmes
    Free Member

Was really looking forward to W10…seems I cant get it.

Had to replace my mobo a few months ago, reloaded windows on it but couldn’t find the product key so its “not genuine”, Microsoft refuse to help 🙁 I now remember throwing away a post it note with scribbled code on it thinking, wtf is this, blah i dont need it…

AdamW
    Free Member

I have now got Windows 10. Colour me…. nonplussed.

The start button has reappeared with live tiles to the right and the ‘all apps’ menu item basically takes a vertical view of the windows 8 ‘all apps’ (that thing you could use to view every app and not the ones pinned) in alphabetical order, as opposed to the hierarchical menu structure of old.

The Windows 8 kernel was pretty decent, they’ve most probably tweaked it somewhat. The control panel stuff looks a bit new but the panels etc under it (device manager etc.) are all the same.

I haven’t played with Edge yet. People say it’s snappy but it appears to be a universal truth that all browsers eventually go to bloat. 🙂

Based on the hype (and MS is reknown for that) I was expecting… something more and different, a complete UI overhaul perhaps making everything consistent. Perhaps updates will add more as they come along. It just seems a little unfinished.

Still, it works. And it doesn’t appear to be as much of a memory hog as Mac OSX Yosemite.

lonesomewanderer
    Free Member

You need to run the upgrade process to get the free Windows 10 from MS. Once that’s done, you can reinstall from the ISO if you want. The upgrade does let you choose what you want to keep though and when I chose to keep nothing it activated fine…..

scotroutes

That’s what I’m planning to do. I now have a copy of the ISO to burn.

molgrips
    Free Member

perhaps making everything consistent

With what?

The biggest change by far is the service model rather than purchasing new OSes ever few years. That’s huge (although as will be pointed out, not a new idea).

nemesis
    Free Member

The forced update I did on my 8.1 tablet failed so I’ll wait for the proper update to be ready and see how that goes.

The update on the PC is still fine except that the internet seems flaky – it can clearly see the internet ok because I can remote to it and that works fine but browsers don’t seem to be consistently connecting. Think I’m going to try restarting my router as that often sorts connection problems out.

andytherocketeer

‘all apps’ menu

seems to be the ‘first 512 apps’ menu, apparently

not a show stopper, but it’s bugs like that which will make me wait until the not-SP1 (not that 512 app limit would affect me, when 99% of everything on my system is the pre-installed MS bloat)

hearing about conflicts between w10 and nvidia driver updates. and since i have an nvidia card and that pc was solely for gaming, I’ll give it a while

squirrelking
    Free Member

Force it.

Turn on automatic updates

Delete all the contents of “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” (but not the folder)

run the wuauclt.exe /updatenow command from the command prompt in admin mode

Make a brew.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-upgrade-not-showing-yet-heres-how-manually-trigger-update

nemesis
    Free Member

Didn’t work on my tablet – it ran through the process including the download and then failed… I’m assuming it’ll work ok when the unforced update comes through.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I got offered a new NVIDIA driver earlier today. It might be fixed already?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Was really looking forward to W10…seems I cant get it.

Had to replace my mobo a few months ago, reloaded windows on it but couldn’t find the product key so its “not genuine”, Microsoft refuse to help I now remember throwing away a post it note with scribbled code on it thinking, wtf is this, blah i dont need it…

Should be on your case?

If not there are easy ways to extract your product key, google is your friend.

After you have it download the live ISO from microsoft and do a clean install using your 8.1 product key, from what I believe this should work but you might want to do a parallel install to be safe.

AdamW
    Free Member

With what?

Itself. The control panel is now all whitish and yet the device manager is the same as in Windows 7 and 8, as an example. Two different UI thrown at each other. Mac had this issue for ages with certain finder windows being brushed metal and others flat as another example, and it wasn’t until Yosemite that they finally pulled their fingers out and fixed fully. The variances within Windows 10 are much greater, however.

The biggest change by far is the service model rather than purchasing new OSes ever few years. That’s huge (although as will be pointed out, not a new idea).

I will take what our cousins across the pond call a ‘raincheck’ on that. If income drops there will suddenly be a requirement for Windows 11. This is Microsoft we’re talking about. At some point I do expect the service model to turn to a rental model, a la Office 365.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 366 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 – Day 0 installation.’ is closed to new replies.