Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 366 total)
  • Windows 10 – Day 0 installation.
  • nemesis
    Free Member

Were did your license come from?

Cougar

If you’re missing the icon, run Windows Update in the first instance.

convert

A genuine bought copy of Windows 7 home premium, but an OEM version. That might be the issue. Done all the updates – still no icon.

To be honest it’s probably no big issue as I only use parallels/windows to run Solidworks.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is a bit technical but it’s how to get W10 without the icon.

Just reading about this.. Windows 10 for phones will not be Windows 10 for phones but actual full Windows 10! You can connect your phone to a display, keyboard and mouse and use it as a PC, and run your normal applications on it!

Holy cow!

Rubber_Buccaneer

You sure that isn’t just the metro style apps from the store molgrips?

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s what I thought, but that’s not what the Beeb article says.

nemesis
    Free Member

Holy cow!

Yep, it’s pretty cool and IMO for business at least makes the potential of seamless working between desktop, laptop, phone, tablet, a real and fairly straightforward possibility. Or even bring your own ‘PC’ which is they way I see it going.

This is of course assuming that it is the case – given MS’s confusing info on who gets the free upgrade, it could be that it’s completely wrong…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just installing now – I haven’t touched a beta, but I expect it to be a mish-mash of 7 & 8 rather than anything really new. I’ll probably want to go back to 8.1.

footflaps

Holy cow!

Yep, sounds insane, most phones will be saddled with Gigs of unused resource hogging code and run like a complete dog as a result.

molgrips
    Free Member

So now I want a tiny portable screen and keyboard combo that I can pop my phone into.

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

So now I want a tiny portable screen and keyboard combo that I can pop my phone into.

That will be the future with your entire life store in one phone/basket then when you loss your phone someone else take over … 😮

nemesis
    Free Member

Except your life will all be in the cloud… your phone will just be a dumb terminal most of the time.

chewkw
    Free Member

nemesis – Member

Except your life will all be in the cloud… your phone will just be a dumb terminal most of the time.

Yes, then someone mess up cloud … access denied you need to pay your rent. 😮

No pay rent no cloud. Now you are truly screwed. 😆

edit: My Win7 is running very smoothly at the moment so no hurry to upgrade/update to Win 10.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Does sound interesting but the release date of windows 10 for phones is less than clear to me. I know a preview is available but I’m not excited enough to suffer that pain until it is more polished.

nemesis
    Free Member

No cloud, no need to pay rent as that’d all be in the cloud too 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

when you loss your phone someone else take over

How’s that different to losing your laptop?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If anyone uses Cisco VPN, be aware that Win10 has issues. Where I’m doing some work for sent out a mail stating no one should upgrade to 10

bugger 🙁

maybe :

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/120150-fix-cisco-vpn-error-27850-on-windows-10

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

when you loss your phone someone else take over

How’s that different to losing your laptop? [/quote]

You still carry laptop around? My Dell laptop weights a ton. 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, I do.

Plus, burglars carry other people’s laptops around without them knowing.

brassneck

I’ve seen a lot more HDD failures than cloud failures. A lot.

Full W10 on a phone working at a reasonable pace, with bluetooth keyboard/mouse and HMDI out could well be the bomb.

matt_outandabout

You still carry laptop around? My Dell laptop weights a ton

My Acer Ultrabook was bought so I could carry it round for work – otherwise they would have saved a fortune and bought me a desktop.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You guys are forgetting that most phones are ARM, not x86, so many of the programs will not run unless there is an ARM/WinRT port.

GrahamS

You guys are forgetting that most phones are ARM, not x86, so many of the programs will not run unless there is an ARM/WinRT port.

That seems to be the way they are heading – they already offer a headless Win10 embedded version (Win10 for IoT) on RaspberryPi (which is ARM-based) and releasing .NET on Linux and Mac, plus you have articles like this from 2012

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

My home pc doesn’t want to play it seems the video card doesn’t have a suitable driver so no update allowed.

I guess I wait to see if Nvidia decide to issue a new driver & try again

GrahamS

My home pc doesn’t want to play it seems the video card doesn’t have a suitable driver so no update allowed.

Can’t you use integrated/motherboard graphics in the mean time?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If he’s unfortunate enough to have it 😉

Other point: x86 is not going away. Yet.

chewkw
    Free Member

Gee-Jay – Member

I guess I wait to see if Nvidia decide to issue a new driver & try again

Are your Nvidia card low end? What model is your Nvidia card? I am asking because I use a £30 Nvidia card in case I am force to upgrade. 😯

Has anyone taken it on a surface pro 2?

My colleague said he tried it and lost his wireless adapter and USB network adapter and had to revert back to 8.1. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you get it fixed?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

chewkw

highend(ish) but old GeForce 7900GTX

lonesomewanderer
    Free Member

Anyone else notice that Solitaire now has ads? You can pay them a monthly sub to remove them though – yipeee! (this is really gonna hurt my productivity). Copy sol.exe and cards.dll from Windows 7 before upgrading and they’ll work as they always have though….

racefaceec90

have downloaded win 10 also,but not being computer tech,do not know what the advantages are of it over win 8.1? the bottom of my desktop looks different now/as well as icons.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Laptop updated without much fuss, took about 60 mins in total (150meg connection, i5 with 8GB of RAM and a SSD)

A little tip, the longest part was copying files, so you might want to copy as much as poss onto an external drive before starting and copying it back afterwards

Laptop runs an NVIDIA GT640M and has not problem with Win10 – my home PC runs a GTX750Ti so I’m hoping it won’t give me any issues.

So far, so hmmm – it looks quite cool with the black taskbar, MS Edge is okay, looks like a paired down Explorer. Opening any Office Suite Programme means restarting.

At the moment Windows refuses to activate, but it’s not causing any problems.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

do you have to wait for windows 10, my surface pro 3 says it can get it fine but I cannot see how to start the process it just says I will get notification when its ready

lonesomewanderer
    Free Member

You can get tell it download now by using this tool:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I didn’t register for the update and despite being on 8.1 and fully up to date I don’t have the icon in the bottom right corner, have I missed out on the free update? Can’t find any info for if you haven’t got the icon

julians
    Free Member

updated my surface pro 3 this afternoon, not had chance to have much of a play, but the upgrade seems to have gone smoothly with no issues.

First impressions are that it doesnt feel like a massive change from windows 8.1, just like a minor update really. Its good to have a ‘proper’ start menu back though and not have to go to the full screen start menu anymore.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve got the option of the update. Currently using Windows 7 on a 5 year old Dell.

2 daft questions –

1. Will my installed applications still be there after the upgrade ?
    2. Is it worth going from 7 to 10 on my machine (subjective this one I suppose)

ratherbeintobago

Have downloaded and installed on an HP stream 7; like it more than 8.1, but some oddness/bugs (can’t download the new Twitter app from the store as it keeps generating an error code; work email (on *cough* Exchange 2007) works for a bit then decided it doesn’t like the security policy)…

Also, it screwed up my carefully-constructed start screen, and I don’t know how lock screen notifications are meant to work. The Edge browser is good; would like the address bar at the bottom though.

I dare say there will be a load of hot fixes in the next few weeks. And having to use desktop Skype is just annoying as the window doesn’t resize when I open the keyboard window.

seadog101

Conveniently, I’m away at work for two weeks; so, before I can get home and enthusiastically update the home machines, all the bugs and problems will have come to light and either been removed or remedied before I get to be frustrated…

bear-uk
    Free Member

Mine is coming up with unknown error code 8007003.
    Time to start Googling.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 366 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 – Day 0 installation.’ is closed to new replies.