Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Windows 10 borks screen resolution – please help
  • boxelder

Wife’s accidentally clicked yes to Windows 10 and now can’t get the screen focussed – stretched horizontally. Googled and reset resolution etc (screen 1920×1200). NVidia graphics card reset to same resolution. Have we missed something obvious?

cp

NVidia graphics card

Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your card from nvidia?

chrisdw
    Free Member

Definitely sounds like a driver issue

ell_tell
    Free Member

Ditto. Messed up my AMD drivers and laptop stopped recognising our external monitor.

The Win 10 upgrade, however, creates an automatic restore point for 1 month after upgrading to, so I just reverted back to Win 7.

enfht
    Free Member

Any updates still pending?

boxelder

Don’t think anything’s pending.
    I’m giving up and returning to W7. It does seem to be the nvidia driver. Thanks all

Cougar

Is there an “auto” button on your monitor (assuming not a laptop)? Hit that.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

??
    You don’t need to reinstall an OS to fix a graphics driver.

10 Go to http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers
    20 Hit Auto Driver Detect
    30 Download the suggested driver
    40 Perform a clean install [Install>Advanced] and deselect unnecessary options
    50 Reboot
    60 ??profit

nemesis
    Free Member

+1 on Nvidia driver – I had to do that manually (as suggested by gofaster) on updating from 8.1 but it’s fine now.

boxelder

10 Go to http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers
    20 Hit Auto Driver Detect

At this point it was asking to install java, which I’d done…?

I’ll try the nvidia driver and a new install another time. If I try again soon, the screen resolution will be impaired as MY BIG HAIRY FIST SMASHES IT’S $*@#8;>ing BLURRY FACE IN………

and breath.

Thanks all.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

So, did you fix it?

Don’t use version 364.47 if you have downloaded it!
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXowhcfNpr4[/video]

boxelder

Yes. She’d put in the wrong screen size into settings……
    👿

GrahamS

PEBCAK.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Heh.

boxelder

PEBCAK

😆
    New one to me

Edukator
    Free Member

I did the AMD graphics driver change to get W10 to display correctly but now I keep getting a pop up to tell me there’s an update for it but when I try to update it fails and gives me an error message to effect my driver isn’t supported. 🙁

It all works fine but it would be nice if they had installed a driver their own sites recognition programme recognises and is capable of updating. At present it’s radeon crimson 15:12 64 bit… .

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 borks screen resolution – please help’ is closed to new replies.