Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Window update issue
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

For some reason my pc is trying to install the same 5 updates every time I close it down. I’ve tried manually updating and running a tool from the MS website. Any idea how to make it forget these updates?

duntstick
    Free Member

WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab

deadkenny
    Free Member

Likely one of them is failing and it will roll back all the updates then do it again on next reboot.

Go into Control Panel and Windows Updates and try them one at a time. Takes a while and is a pain but chances are they’ll install fine individually.

I wouldn’t be trying to ignore them, there are some critical security fixes at present, as there usually are. Flash player fixes in particular is important as the scammers are using the vulnerabilities for ransomware, and there have been several security flaws recently.

Cougar

A) what os?

B) malware scan.

jimmy

Mine did this, no amount of MS diagnostic tools sorted out. Eventually wiped and re installed Windows, together with fitting a new fan it runs like new at 5 years old.

therevokid
    Free Member

you can “hide” updates so they’re not run.

craigxxl
    Free Member

To answer the questions above:

Windows 7.
    Malware check has been done, nothing found.
    Most of the updates relate to .NET 4.5
    Trying to install them separately and the main .NET 4.5 fails with error code 643.

I’m now trying the MS tools for repairing the update then it’s a case of uninstall .NET 4.5 and reinstall.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not so critical with .NET 4.5 then. Some programs will be using it, but just uninstall and reinstall if you like or leave it uninstalled and see if things still work. If the programs installed aren’t using the latest features in 4.5 then they can work with earlier versions if they’re still installed. Sometimes they just ship with the latest regardless.

craigxxl
    Free Member

The MS Fix It didn’t work nor did their NETfixer. Couldn’t uninstall it or repair it with the tool either. Hiding the updates relating to .NET 4.5 seems to allowing the other updates to install.

Cougar

Try deleting C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then re-running WU.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Failing again. I’ll leave them hidden.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Window update issue’ is closed to new replies.