Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • window locks – new insurance sole destroying.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

so looking for insurance atm – one of the many questions i get asked and that seems to bump up the premium is – do you have locking windows on downstairs accesable windows.

now i know i can get the 12 quid rola face fix locks. i have nice wooden windows – is there anything i can rebate into the sides and have bolts come out into the side frame ?

i ask because i dont believe the face fix ones with their 3mm self tapping screws will achieve anything and would be nothing more than a box ticking exercise – and are ugly.

RustyMac

You seen these before?

Sash window locks

jekkyl

How does this affect your shoes?

thepurist

Or his fish?

molgrips
    Free Member

i ask because i dont believe the face fix ones with their 3mm self tapping screws will achieve anything and would be nothing more than a box ticking exercise

It’ll achieve lowering your premiums – isn’t that the point of this exercise?

And there’s plenty more sole destroying things. Like walking on hot coals for instance, that’s really not good for your shoes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont have sliding sash windows through rusty.

ive got tilt out windows – for the most part i can just change the handle to a locking handle but the kitchen and bedroom downstairs i dont have that luxuary 🙁

a variation on that would work now that i think about it – drill through the lower bar on the window and secure to the sill. – the key wouldnt rotate due to the glass – but i guess i could modify the key.

its two fold molly – tick the box – but if im spending money on it and looking at its ugly unelegant design all the time then id like it to serve the purpose it was designed for

well you see because my windows are in adaquate – my insurance premiums are crippling my dream of owning a sole fish farm 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It’ll have to be a recognised manufactured device probably, I doubt they’d accept a home made effort even if it is better.

trail_rat
    Free Member

who said home made ?

its still a window lock manaufactured by a recognised company.

all i was going to do was bend the key so it worked in situ 😉

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/locks_latches_and_security/door_and_window_security/1339/yale_ws1_sash_window_stop

found these . bit of work to fit but i think they will be the answer – its only 2 windows needing it at the end of the day

Stoner
    Free Member

I phoned Churchill for a quote and they started banging on about window locks when I have drop bolts – they said Id have to fit key locks. I just said Id go to a different insurer.
    Life’s too short to bugger around for box-ticking.

footflaps

+1

Especially for things which make bugger all difference.

wwaswas

Tick.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye stoner – easier said than done.

struggling to find adaquate garage coverage….. bike or no bikes.

molgrips
    Free Member

If it makes a difference to his premiums, then it makes a difference, doens’t it?

brakes
    Free Member

how often do you open the windows?
    just permanently close them (glue/ screws).

Stoner
    Free Member

struggling to find adaquate garage coverage

Me too. So Im basically resigned to being undercovered.

What I really wanted was just fire cover but no-one would do it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

open windows alot we like fresh air. – screwing or gluing isnt an option 😉

they saw your stove didnt they stoner 😉

im tempted to self insure for my 2 expensive bikes meaning a 2k limit would be fine and spend the difference in my policy on security.

lotta pikey activity in my area recently – had 2 in on friday trying to sell me a generator – “no thanks mate ive got electicity from that pole there”

bruneep

How does this polish person generate electric?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sorted. Seems i need cockspag hybrid handles for the back windows which i can get for about 4 quid a pop.

Of which there appears to be 3 options availible in the uk ….. Brass , white or white.

Tempted just to turn the two back windows into cockspur windows – just need to add striker plates.

The pole rides the turbo trainer hooked up to the electric – and we keep him fed with the old fish fingers that no one buys and appear in the freezer .

footflaps

Interesting, my workshop is covered under house buildings and contents without having to do anything. I phoned up my insurer (Coop) once it was built to ask about adding it and they said it’s already covered if it’s on my land with no premium increase.

trail_rat
    Free Member

and did you check that the contents were covered ? the limit on the garage contents with most policys is pitiful as standard.

yes the garage is covered if you keep a lawnmower and a rake in there – add in tooling to the Nth degree and your boned -my roll cab exceeds most policies.

and if it is im off to phone the co-op 😉

just had a quick scan on Co-op . footflaps check your policy , you have a tooled up shop like mine and co-op policy has a 2k limit total not per item on their outbuildings policy.

Stoner
    Free Member

What T_R says.

The standard cover for sheds/garages is woeful – in fact Id say it’s poor of the industry not to make it clear enough to customers that the cover is so low. TBH, if my workshop goes up, I’m basically self insured. I have one bike covered as an exceptional, expensive, item.

bruneep

Last time I was round you couldna find nothing in that chaos that you call a garage.

Just move away from the pikey encampment (soon to be approved by the cooncil) and do us all a favour. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

sorry i last heard the approved one was going in at BOD 😉

bruneep

Nah that was thrown out by the NIMBY protest. Northfield howes road so they can ambush you now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

anyway. Legal and general will cover up to 10% of the contents value you stick on the house in the garage…..

im really really tempted to cut a door into the back bedroom from my garage – if the floors were not different heights i would.

soon as i do that it becomes part of the house and everything is covered on some policys.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Also make sure you are not under insured. If some one wants to get in they will, its just miserable when the insurance payout gets knocked down for underinsured.

Our insurance also suggested dummy cameras. Apparently they put a lot of scrotes off and they burgle next doors instead.

footflaps

just had a quick scan on Co-op . footflaps check your policy , you have a tooled up shop like mine and co-op policy has a 2k limit total not per item on their outbuildings policy.

Interesting, I’m not that bothered about contents as I tend to self insure, my main concern is in case it burnt down….

project
    Free Member

The rerason insurance companies demand window locks is to prove the window was closed and locked, also if the local thief smashes the window he still cant open it because of the fitted lock,also if he gets in by some other means, he cant escape therought he window as is locked and he doesnt know the key is under the plantpot or ornament to make an escape.

footflaps

The rerason insurance companies demand window locks is to prove the window was closed and locked,

You’re still covered if you forget and leave a window open though….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

my insurance premiums are crippling my dream of owning a sole fish farm

Back to the point – Why do you only want to own just one fish farm?

trail_rat
    Free Member

dont have space for any more.

trail_rat
    Free Member

FYI john lewis are coming up trumps atm – 5k cover on the garage + bikes as a separate item (only if you specify them otherwise they fall under the 5k garage/shed cover) & gardening tools as a separate item again with a 5k limit.

which is much more than i need.

expensive at 60quid a month but if i get wiped out it would be a number of years of self insuring to recoup what i lost.

meanwhile – security is being beefed up discretely.

footflaps

meanwhile – security is being beefed up discretely.

Trail rat earlier today

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you really don’t like window locks – buy some and put them in a drawer – keep the receipt. hat way if you ever do get broken into you can fit them before the insurance assessor come around.

molgrips
    Free Member

my insurance premiums are crippling my dream of owning a sole fish farm

Back to the point – Why do you only want to own just one fish farm?

Don’t be ridiculous, I have no idea how you can mis-interpret his words so spectacularly.

Obviously he means a farm in which only he can fish.

footflaps

If you really don’t like window locks – buy some and put them in a drawer – keep the receipt. hat way if you ever do get broken into you can fit them before the insurance assessor come around.

I keep mine on the window sill as a constant reminder to fit them. Been at least two years now…..

My record is about 6 years for a new bathroom suite to be sat in the spare bedroom before I got round to fitting it!

trail_rat
    Free Member

you been round my gaff ? thats the butler during nightshift.

project
    Free Member

The rerason insurance companies demand window locks is to prove the window was closed and locked,

You’re still covered if you forget and leave a window open though

check with your insurance company as that would be an open window for claims to fly out through, people commiting insuirance fraud accidently on purpose leaving a window open and claiming for all sorts of new stuff, window locks also prove forced entry, not walk in burglaries.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And after a quick call to my father. Looks like access door will be cut and lintel put jn place to creat a firedoor from the under stairs cupboard into the garage- where there is already a big hole from the old boiler flue.

Sorting all my issues in one hit!

House becomes garage for alot of insurance co’s

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘window locks – new insurance sole destroying.’ is closed to new replies.