Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Wind turbines – impact on property prices
  • benz
    Free Member

So a number of planning applications in progress and also local landowners being approached by companies offering annual rent payment in return for turbine site.

Any of you folks experienced the practical impacts of close proximity to turbines? Talking of those 100m in height….

Noise?

penglish1
    Free Member

Hi I live half a mile away from four of them, from the bottom to the top of blades is approximately 400ft, no noise from them. If it was four of these or a nuclear power, these everyday!!!!!!!

Unsure if they effect house prices, but am not moving anywhere so it doesn’t matter to me.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The good news is that with wind turbines you still get the nuclear power station 😉

Noise depends on the prevailing wind direction

Watch out for them going up in flames when the gearbox fails as well

project
    Free Member

only affect the house prices if the local nimbys make a fuss, same excuse being used in Frodsham cheshire, wind turbines being put on the marshes, opposite a large airport, one of the largest petro chemicla plants in the uk and a high risk explosion risk, the only producer of chlorine gas in the uk just down the river,a huge car plant on the oposite side of the river,a major motorway, a ship cannal, and a deep river estuary.

Yet aestheticly pleasant wind turbines and they go mental.

wrecker
    Free Member

Aestheticly pleasing to some. If I were looking at two identical properties and one was near turbines, I’d be prepared to pay more for the other.

CHB

I think turbines look graceful.

druidh
    Free Member

I was up at the Eaglesham Moor wind farm a few weeks back, chatting to a few walkers. We all commented on how quiet they were.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I often pedal round Whitelee, druidh, and you’re right, its just a periodic whooshing, no louder than wind.

teethgrinder

I think they look lovely and they are surprisingly quiet.

On the flip side, they are not that green (all that Neodymium).
    House prices = first world problem
    Exploding turbine video on YouTube somewhere…

Here

druidh
    Free Member

Have they opened up all the tracks again?

midlifecrashes

I’ve never looked at a landscape anywhere, before and after their arrival and thought to myself, “I knew that view was missing something”.

footflaps

I think wind farms look great, my inlaws have a villa in The Algrave near to some and I can watch them for hours.

igm

Now I actually like wind turbines but do note when you say you rather have a few of these than a nuclear power station that a small to medium nuclear power station is two Whitelee wind farms going at full pelt.

Quite like Whitelee to be honest. Impressive.

And in answer to the OP. probably negative effect on prices now but no effect at all in 15-20 years (they’ll be everywhere). When were you thinking of selling?

druidh
    Free Member
    Brycey
    Free Member

Good wee write up druidh.

*Speaking as a biased wind industry employee!

mafiafish
    Free Member

I used to work for one of those companies looking for ground rents. There’s nothing is the planning legislation for objections due to house prices so it’s not an issue to get riled up about (choose something more subjective if you want to object). I expect the effect on house price will come down to a buyer’s preference – they could always try and haggle even if they didn’t mind it but saw it as bargaining capital I guess.

totalshell

plenty above rochdale and plenty more planned and the house prices closest to them are the only ones rising in town.. they HUUUUGE but having walked up there they make little or no noise the sheep and cattle carry on regardless around thier bases.. whats not to like?

andyrm
    Free Member

Ultimately we need to do something to generate power to feed our increasing demands for electricity.

So the choices are fossil fuels, nuclear power or wind farms and similar.

Fossil fuels are rapidly running out, leaving 2 viable (note I say “viable” rather than hypothetical or untested) options.

Given the choice, I would imagine most people would prefer a wind farm to a nuclear plant nearby.

So in answer to the OP’s original post, I think in the medium term (maybe not the immediate as people need to get their head round it), wind farms won’t affect house prices as much as was first feared as it is clearly a more desirable alternative.

Out of interest, is there any data on property prices in countries with more developed use of windfarms?

binners

totalshell – Here’s an early morning piccy I took of the turbines above Rochdale a few weeks ago. Looking at them from Holcombe. I think they look great!

TURBINES 3 by binlidski, on Flickr

scuzz
    Free Member

Yummy yummy aerodynamics

andyrm
    Free Member

Great shot there Binners! 🙂

portlyone

Yep, nice pic Binners.

I’ve never looked at a landscape anywhere, before and after their arrival and thought to myself, “I knew that view was missing something”.

I’ve ignored loads of landscapes but then when I notice wind turbines I look up and thought “coooool”.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I regularly ride directly underneath some large turbines.

A car going past at 40mph makes more noise than a working wind turbine.

People will moan that they’ll never replace conventional power stations, which is true. However, when the wind turbines are spinning it means less coal/oil/fuel rods are being shovelled into the other stations.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

big_n_daft
    Free Member

plenty above rochdale and plenty more planned and the house prices closest to them are the only ones rising in town.. they HUUUUGE but having walked up there they make little or no noise the sheep and cattle carry on regardless around thier bases.. whats not to like?

they make noise, usually screeching and when the wind is right you start to hear the whomp, whomp, whomp. Go into Ride-On and ask Criag what he thinks of them he lives under their shadow.

the roads put in have damaged significantly the deep peat blanket on the moor such that it’s going to cost you money due to impact on the water quality

they don’t work for much of the time and Peel have even put a press statement out to the effect that climate change is reducing the availble wind “resource”. That coupled with the issues in maintaining the connection to the grid due to the cables moving in the peat mean that the figures for generation are well below any pessimistic estimates

as for supporting the local community, no money has been spent on local schemes from the HEP, the money that has been spent has gone far away from area. Peel are amongst the worst landowners in the area in regard t promoting access and are well known ransom strippers (ask Craig again)

Peel and the other windfarm company aren’t in it for the “green” agenda they are simply farming the subsidises.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I hate them, very inefficient with a massive hidden cost in that you must have traditional power stations as back up. I think they are massive eyesore either onshore or offshore.

Yes I think they impact property prices, I wouldn’t buy a property located nearby to a wind farm, I am not alone in that – so you do have a reduced buyer universe which has to impact prices.

As for noise I have had some experience of them making a “whoomping” sound but from memory you have to be quite close. For choice I avoid visiting areas nearby them so really my experience is quite limited.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Let’s be honest, there’s not a single man-made thing that has ever improved any natural landscape. We’re very good at charging all over the place ruining things.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Wind turbines – impact on property prices’ is closed to new replies.