Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Wind turbines, evil or good for the environment and us the consumer
  • project
    Free Member

Seems as if up here near liverpool, we are being surrounded by them, about 6 huge ones in liverpool docks,, 26 off the coast of West Kirby, 5 inland at wallasey, and about 120 going in the sea off the north wales coast to join another lot of them already there.

Personally i think theyre great, easily built and recycled at lifes end, non poluting, and reasonably quiet.What we need is to cut down on energy consumption, switch off motorway lights and all advertising lighting after say midnight,enforce strict energy saving measures in all large companies etc.
    But quite a few people ive spoken to, hate them and feel theyre the work of the devil and going to cause massive problems to a few birds who probably need glases to avoid them.

Discuss nicely.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t mind them asthetically or environmentally but they’re not the great saviour people think they are electrically.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Discuss nicely.

😆

RustySpanner

Hate them.

Reasons:
    They are completely pointless – the Govt has decided that nuclear is the future – turbines are a visible sop to environmentalists.
    Wave power preferable but less visible.

They are very, very ugly. Just my opinion, obviously.

What we need is to cut down on energy consumption, switch off motorway lights and all advertising lighting after say midnight,enforce strict energy saving measures in all large companies etc.

This.
    And connect the wrists of teenage boys to the national grid via a system of discrete personal generators.

And limit all couples to two children, one house, one pet and one car/motorbike/van, obviously. 😀

legend
    Free Member

Not much point in switching stuff off when it’s late at night and there’s a power surplus.

Also, easily built? Offshore ones especially are very expensive to build.

Personally I’m not a fan. The engineer in me likes them, but at the same time hate seeing them everywhere!
    Give me nuclear any day. Can I say that now that the Dark Lord is no longer here?

iomnigel
    Free Member

What happens when there is no wind? We all can’t go on the STW forum..

Nuclear is where its at. 😈

igm

Rusty – And n+1 bikes

iomnigel- No wind? Plenty of wind and hot air so long as STW survives.

andyl
    Free Member

Easily recycled? Nope.

I like them. I also make money from them being made, but I liked them before that. I also like tidal and wave energy machines as I think we should be able to satisfy all our electricity needs without fossil fuels.

TooTall
    Free Member

What we need is to cut down on energy consumption, switch off motorway lights and all advertising lighting after say midnight,enforce strict energy saving measures in all large companies etc.

Domestic consumption is the huge problem. Need to retrofit existing housing stock and try to make people use less.

We still need to produce that energy, so there is still a place for renewables – coal and oil burning are not helping things.

Brycey
    Free Member

I’m biased* and in favour but also realistic about them. The big problem (offshore anyway) is cost, both to build, and maintain, however the industry is acutely aware of this currently. It’s an industry that is at least employing at the moment, I’ve taken 70 on in the last few months on my sites alone.

* I look after said West Kirby and new North Wales ones (160 by the way).

Last week in the office:

project
    Free Member

What is this Nuclear you speak of the same one that caused,
    windscale to blow up, and pollute a waste area,

3 mile island , america,

Chernobyl,

Fukishima, and lots more , probably unreported events.

Brycey are you also involved with the building of them at Cammell Lairds site, if so can i ask a favour of a visit to the building site. or even a singletrack site visit.

Brycey
    Free Member

Fraid not fella, I’m Ops & Maintenance so only run the farm once it’s built. Don’t have anything to do with construction.

legend
    Free Member

and lots more , probably unreported events.

You are TJ. I claim my £5

sweaman2
    Free Member

Personally don’t like them; from both an asthetic stand point and just don’t see how they are “better” than other options as you always seem to need a back-up for when the wind isn’t blowing…

Future is bringing demand down combined with tidal / nuclear I reckon.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

They cannot respond to load demand and are therefore only useful in assisting existing more reliable forms of energy supply, there are several successful/profitable bio-gas powered independent power stations springing up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having lived in the polluted waste land that windscale left behind mining shaped the landscape more.

Wind is a drop in the ocean when it comes to the solution. Yes every little helps but it keeps stopping.

Nuclear .int the non experimental or military way – windscale or flawed design – chernobyl or built in an earthquake zone is the energy that will allow us to transition to a lower carbon base. Covering the country in turbines won’t.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I rather like them. They’re graceful and don’t fart out smoke or steam over the place.

My own preference isn’t a popular one though, I’d like to see more nuclear stations in the medium term to help plug the fossil fuels gap. There’s a lot of hype and misinformation out there, it’s also time we started serious work on thorium reactor technology too. But you an’t make bombs out of the byproduct.

In the meantime, I’m happy to share my outdoors with wind turbines.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I like the look of them but they are only part of the solution

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But you an’t make bombs out of the byproduct.

To clear some more hype and misinformation we currently dont. There is a separation of Civil and Military nuclear material that is strictly observed in the west at least.

martymac

i dont mind them, but im not under any illusions that they are doing much to help us.
    interested in the views expressed above re: turn off motorway lights/advertising after midnight though, as i feel the same way.
    but really, as humans we need to consume less energy, in the form of endless new cars/bikes/iphones/tv’s/whatever.
    and we definately need to drive less in the cars we have.
    all of us humans i mean.

Hohum
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

But you an’t make bombs out of the byproduct.

To clear some more hype and misinformation we currently dont. There is a separation of Civil and Military nuclear material that is strictly observed in the west at least.

For the time being.

Who defines the separation? The lawmakers, i.e. the politicians. They can change their minds very quickly when required.

As for wind turbines, well I see them as part of the contemporary landscape up here.

CountZero

Nuclear and wave generation. We are surrounded by water, with some very high tidal variations, and fast running tides, too. But a huge barrier like one proposed across the Severn is insanely expensive, and environmentally very damaging. Much better to have lagoons dotted across the width of the estuary and staggered along its length to maximise utilisation of the tidal flow. Nearly fifty feet of tidal rise and fall, with tides running at around five knots, power ought to be generated almost continually, unlike bloody wind turbines!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Who defines the separation? The lawmakers, i.e. the politicians. They can change their minds very quickly when required.

Er the International Atomic Energy Authority

We still hold Military material (ie it’s not going anywhere)

Yes based on trust but also well observed.

Not trying to make this a nuclear thread just clearing up a few things

zippykona

I like them, I have no idea if they work or not.
    The idea is good though.
    Building a turbine can’t be much more difficult than drilling for oil.
    I still say GIVE everyone a solar panel. Not sure of the cost but it must be cheaper than building a wave machine or any other “wacky” idea.
    No maintenance,proven technology and its not a nuclear target.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i think a few of them, here and there, can even make the place look nicer.

but if we’re going to be serious about wind power, if it’s going to make a meaningful contribution/difference, we need chuffing THOUSANDS of them.

and we still need ‘traditional’ power stations for when it’s not windy.

they’re almost pointless, and a waste of rare-earth magnets.

igm

PV definely not cost effective this far north. Subsidy farming at its best.

Also it generates best on at summer midday and never when you really need the energy on a December or January evening.

I’d ban solar electric quite happily and spend the money on something that works. And don’t come on and tell me you’re making money out of one unless you’ve first deducted the huge subsidy (biggest of all generation subsidies as I recall).

Onshore wind on the other hand is one of the cheapest forms of renewable energy – offshore is a fair bit more expensive.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I don’t mind them visually (we have them in our rural area), I find them graceful, I also like annoying the NIMBYs by refusing to sign their petition as they never have anything positive to say about anything and they cannot bare the fact I disagree with them. On the plus side if one day we get a really good solution, then when you remove turbines there’s very little left to show they were there. Unlike coal/nuclear.

The only neg for me of having them in the dale is they make it feel smaller, as you can see them from everywhere, so you never feel like you’re very far away from them[pennypot] so the area feels smaller.

maxtorque

Wind turbines are a minor distraction on the map to a robust future energy profile. They are handy to let the enviromentalists think something is happening to “save the planet” but those mentalists have no concept of “power density”.

Read this:

http://www.withouthotair.com/download.html

to understand the problem.

On the plus side, they are not too damaging to their immediate local environment, and can easily be taken down when we finally come to our senses, drop all the sensationalist “nuclear kills children” c**p and put in place a future energy road map that is actually practicable and sustainable…………..

epicsteve
    Free Member

They’re not the worst looking things but there are so many of them springing up now they are beginning to be an eyesore – especially the roads and tracks that are put in place to service them.

As a small corner of our energy production I think they have a place but they’re not really a lot of use overall. It’s also not clear just how green they are either.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oddly, I find them rather attractive and compellling to look out *, although would admittedly feel differently if they were in my back garden!!

Are they a solution to the energy problem……I doubt it!

* Can’t imagine how people must have felt when pylons were first introduced. I just about ignore them now, but they remain tremendous eyesores (and health risks?)

IdleJon

easily built and recycled at lifes end

I’m surrounded by the remains of industrial revolution buildings. Copper/tin/steel works, engine sheds, pitheads, all sorts. All of which were made from recyclable stone and are ‘easily recycled’. I wonder why they weren’t?

I’d guess that in 150 years the hills around here will be covered in rusting turbines, or at least the remains of their foundations and access roads.

Just because structures are easily recycled, it doesn’t follow that they will be – that’s just an argument put forward by the pro-turbine groups.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I like then, and not just because I earn a reasonable living from them.

As long as the years of wind/weather investigation support the justification for the site, so that there is sufficient wind to make them worthwhile. There are some onshore sites that look awful though, I don’t like those.

Amongst other, I’m heaving involved in the construction of the 160 turbines in the Irish sea Brycey talks of, a site visit is fairly unlikely though to be honest.

Brycey
    Free Member

Are you Wind Power gsp?

johnners
    Free Member

Switch off the mind and let the heart decide.

colournoise

johnners – Member
    Switch off the mind and let the heart decide.

Good call.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc7QLMBNx6w[/video]

slainte 8) rob

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

I quite like offshore windfarms at the moment as I’m making decent money from working on the installation process of em, off to do some more on tuesday.. But the rest of the time I’m doing work related to subsea oil fields, so gotta balance all me carbon out with renewable work! As for the eyesore aspect of them, I dont think they are too unsightly, even on land. Seen plenty more industrial process plants that look much worse, oil refineries for example.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I work for a turbine manufacturer Brycey, one you will be more than familiar with.

I’m intrigued by the yoyo system on that TP, looks quite different to the typical falcon / mansafe system.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Wind turbines can be a bit ugly, they are mechanistic things to put on the landscape but they do provide a visual manifestation of the energy we consume. More jarring than a power station tucked away from most of us pumping out invisible gases but tough titties. We use a lot, we should face up to it. Not hide it away like we do with ‘white goods’ and the incredibly wasteful modern cars we design in clever ways to perpetuate a beautiful illusion.

Nuclear is techy isn’t it. It’s powerful, it’s us kicking the natural order in the balls. It’s blokey, it’s scientific. I think that’s why so many people like it. But hang on a minute.

“Because the government and the power utilities, including Tepco, were biased by the safety myth, thinking they would never ever face such a serious accident, they were unable to realize that such a crisis could occur in reality. This appears to be the fundamental problem,” said the Investigation Committee on the Accident at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant of Tokyo Electric Power Co.

A big question is whether the government and the power industry have really liberated themselves from the myth and have a humble attitude needed in handling nuclear technology

It said that “beyond expectations” in the usage by the nuclear power establishment means excluding low-probability events from consideration because it is financially impossible to deal with every predictable event.

This shows that both the regulators and the power industry have not paid serious attention to the fact that once a severe accident happens at a nuclear power plant, it causes irreparable damage, even if the probability of such an accident is extremely low[/i].

That’s still the problem isn’t it. I always hear that the next generation of nuclear reactor will be safer, but every accident seems to highlight a lack of imagination by the engineers at the time.

And sod humans, the potential damage to every other species on this planet from nuclear power rules it out for me. What a selfish technology it is. I always ask advocates “what do you need to power so desperately that justifies your share of nuclear waste & risk.”

Long term – we must live within our current solar income, as everything on this planet has done for aeons. Sorry, but the 100-200 year hydrocarbon bonanza we’ve had will not come around for some time again, and it is childish to use that as our baseline of energy use for the future.

Brycey
    Free Member

Sounds like we have the same employer gsp, I’m Service (E S SR) though.

It’s the Latchway system from memory. Burbo Banks was one of the early offshore windfarms, and as such as a few bits and pieces the newer ones don’t.

T1000
    Free Member

these threads are evil …. they bring out all the TJ clones….. lots of ill researched cut and pasted comments selectively cropped from accross the internet…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Wind turbines, evil or good for the environment and us the consumer’ is closed to new replies.