Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wind powered landmine clearing thingybob :-)
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/51887079[/video]

A brilliant idea, I hope he gets the backing to make this successful.

mu3266
    Free Member

Interesting concept but cant see it taking off. Its too random so you’ll never be able to keep track of cleared areas etc. That being said, if it detonates only one mine, it’ll be one less someone has to step on.

seanoc
    Free Member

Some landlines are set to go off on the 2nd actuation though. A herd of sheep is the best thing I have seen.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some landlines are set to go off on the 2nd actuation though. A herd of sheep is the best thing I have seen.

And the added bonus that everyone gets a kebab after work! Awesome!

Serious note though, that sort of thing could be a clever approach. Build it cheap enough to be disposable. Anything’s more disposable than some poor kid stepping out…..

cranberry
    Free Member

I don’t see that as a practical solution.

1. you can only use it in windy places when it is windy.

2. there is no certainty that it will clear a given piece of ground.

HermanShake
    Free Member

It is very windy where it is intended for use and as said anything that reduces the presence of mines is a plus. Sure there are more metered, sophisticated ways to do this; but I doubt there are the means and motivation (from those with the means, not the wider population) to apply these.

He says it’s about $1200 to clear a single unit, his design is just above $50 and is capable of clearing more than one. It’s not as if it’s going to run out of power; once it’s out there it will continue to tumble around so the lifespan of one is pretty long. If it’s lifespan is shortened from use it has achieved it’s objective.

You could put a tracking device in them if you really wanted too, but the really practical solution is for the countries which placed these to remove them and for people to stop being d***s to one another. Neither of these are going to happen, he has found a cheap and realistic way to help the problem.

I don’t think this is being demonstrated as a replacement to current mine clearing technology, more a much needed addition.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be too confident of the his claim that its heavy enough to detonate them either 😕

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Some kind of gps device tracking in them would quickly build up a picture of their paths and how much of the land has been covered. Alternatively something similar to those robotic lawn mowers combined with this design may work although no doubt be vastly more expensive.

druidh
    Free Member

I can……..

……….if it hits a big enough mine.

noteeth
    Free Member

As an alternative to sheep, HM Forces could deploy a penal battalion – consisting of those politicians who send soldiers to war on the basis of “sexed-up” intelligence. 😈

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wind powered landmine clearing thingybob :-)’ is closed to new replies.