Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Wind-down problem with Pike U-turn air 426's
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

The wind-down mechanism on my pikes has stuck, was fine last time i used it. Wondering if any of you can point me in the direction of a solution (not a good week – stripped the BB shell on my other bike :()

ltheisinger
    Free Member

It could be the ball bearings under the u-turn turning mechanism right on top of the fork?

I have had this problem….water gets in and the bearings get a bit rusty then don’t turn. Just remove the top cap and the bearing will be underneath (BUT BE VERY CAREFUL not to lose the bearings as you open up the top cap) and I would suggest doing it over a big white blanket or something similar in case they do drop out.

Make sure you also have a magnet handy in case the bearings slip down the bigger holes next to the ones they are sat on top of (you’ll know what I mean when you take the top cap off).

Once open, take out the bearings (make a note of where they were seated as there is not a bearing for every hole), clean the whole thing up, regrease and put back together – its an easy job and it will sort things out for you!

LoCo
    Free Member

Bearings under top cap as above, or could be dirt has got down onto the threads in the upper part of the system. However it’d have to be a lot of dirt and water as they’re a pretty course pitch.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

It was (i suspect) water ingress, probably after i used a jet wash to get the clay mud off at Ruthin. Managed to get the unit to turn again & lubed it up. Will do a proper job after i get back from the Lakes (not attempting a job i can cock-up before a trip away!) 😆

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Wind-down problem with Pike U-turn air 426's’ is closed to new replies.