Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Win Hill (in the peaks)
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

Is there a way i can get close to Win Hill to then head on towards Hope Cross?

My normal route is from Ladybower/Yorkshire Bridge then on the road all the way to Aston then the sharp right upto Edge Farm (i think thats what its called) then its up Hope Brink to the top and then on towards Hope Cross

Just want to try to cut out the road miles

Cheers

Andy

Richie_B

There are several but they are all naughty and include some degree of hike a bike

squin
    Free Member

You can park in Hope and have the choice of 2 climbs (steeper than the other) – sorry I don't have a link to a map. Also means that you can finish in The Woodbine!

thepodge
    Free Member

Not legally no. its all foot paths.

Parkin Clough would be your best illegal option but…

A, its not allowed
    B, it looks like a bugger of a climb

alexpalacefan

I've tried Parkin clough, it's barely walkable, and carrying (there's no room to push) a bike is a bit of a 'mare.

Richie B would be interested to hear your version, would be nice to miss the road bits out.

A

thepodge
    Free Member

looking at the map you'll be swapping road for a hike.

there are maybe one or two farm tracks you could look at but they are probably private roads

slowrider
    Free Member

the least cheeky of the options and imo the most rideable is best done if you are coming down the hagg farm descent first, though you can access it by going over the ladybower dam.

if you come down hagg farm, cross the snake pass and carry on down to the bottom. follow the trail over the bridge and round to the left and it starts to climb up to the bottom of the beast. at the right hairpin, go left through the gate which drops you down to the path that runs around the edge of the res. theres a bit of logging going on here but the guys are all friendly and will let you by without any hassle. follow the trail until you see a steep, straight trail heading up as the res path carrys on round. this is a bit of a slog but brings you out just down a bit from where you would be joining win hill the way you come up. take a right to hope cross.

like i said, you can access it from the dam but its a bit of a trek round the res, possibly still quicker than the road way though.

sorry i cant give you any features to look out for, i just know where it is! its not too hard to spot though. i think it may be a footpath but ive passed foresty people and rangers on my way up and they have just said hello so it may be unofficially allowed?

the other options as stated above are parkin clough and other similarly awkward climbs.

peakmonster
    Free Member

top part of that climb is a footpath!

slowrider
    Free Member

the last bit would only take 10 mins to walk at most so should still be quickest. nice excuse to walk after that climb too!

peakmonster
    Free Member

I ride it, naughty I know. Bet you do too! 😀

scruff
    Free Member

DO not ever ever try to hike with your bike up Parkin, its even harder than riding down it (I would imagine)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Win Hill (in the peaks)’ is closed to new replies.