Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Win 7 or 8 for Parallels on Mac
  • torihada
    Free Member

I’m in process of upgrading RAM on 13″ MBP in preparation for purchase of Parallels so that I can use my Memory Maps software and all my TOPO maps. I am going to buy Win OEM from eBay; any reason not to buy a copy of Win 7? The only software I’ll be running is MM.

Thanks

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

depends what you are used to and how much each os costs. I’m on win 7 on parallels but would gladly move to virtualbox when I upgrade to yosemite.. Its a real drag having to upgrade parallels every time osx upgrades.

If you do get win 8 let me know how it goes as I fancy giving it a go 🙂

Cougar

The main reason may be that you might not be able to any more.

torihada
    Free Member

cheekymonkey888 – Member
    depends what you are used to and how much each os costs. I’m on win 7 on parallels but would gladly move to virtualbox when I upgrade to yosemite.. Its a real drag having to upgrade parallels every time osx upgrades.

So your version of Parallels will work on Mavericks but not Yosemite? Virtual box looks a little less user friendly. I’m inclined to go for 7 because the times I’ve used Win8 its exasperated me.

proutster
    Free Member

I just bought a £44 disc of Windows 7 from Amazon and used Base Camp so that I now have “2” discs and just select on start-up, so that I can run the Tacx TTS4 software for my i-magic turbo trainer.

Would that work for you?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Virtual box every time for me

torihada
    Free Member

proutster – Member
    I just bought a £44 disc of Windows 7 from Amazon and used Base Camp so that I now have “2” discs and just select on start-up, so that I can run the Tacx TTS4 software for my i-magic turbo trainer.

Would that work for you?

Yup, I think I’m going to give Bootcamp a go first, with Win7. I can try that before I add more memory which I’ll need to run Win apps in VM.

db

I run Parallels with Win7 on Yosemite and it all runs great. (i7 macbook air with 8gb ram)

If you go for Win8 post back as interested to know how you get on. I’m tempted (for no reason other than oooo new software to play with) 🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

I have the latest version of Parallels on Yosemite and running Windows 8. It allows me to run Windows as version 7 bypassing the metro tiles bit. Only problem I had was with the Retina display which made most of the windows programs unusable because the text was so small and due to the high resolution which adjusting in Windows made no difference. Within Parallels you can disable the Retina display and then set the resolution within Windows. It’s all working well running Windows programs opening direct from the Mac OS with only a small start up delay whilst Parallels starts up for the first time.

pirahna
    Free Member

I went for VMware Fusion instead of Parallels, does this make me special?

vinnyeh

I’m using Parallels 9, just upgraded OS X from Mavericks to Yosemite, and it still runs fine.
    Only using it to run the software for my Tacx trainer, but I’m using one of those freebie versions of XP as the OS.
    2008 Macbook Pro, 4gb Ram, happily runs the trainer software, Trainer Road and streams movies concurrently.

torihada
    Free Member

Installed bootcamp & Win7; make sure you allocate enough space for your bootcamp partition. I increased to 50gb (after I filled 20gb nearly immediately). Running memory map smoothly. All on 4gb memory 2013 MBP 13 inch, non-retina. I forgot how much I dislike windows, but apart from that, a cheap solution to get mapping software (which I already own) on a mac.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Win 7 or 8 for Parallels on Mac’ is closed to new replies.