Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wimbledon Station.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

South West network from Waterloo all f****d up again last night. Seems Wimbledon is becoming something of a hotspot…

http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/news/4515831.Samaritans_to_put_up_posters_at__suicide_hotspot__Wimbledon_station/

sobriety
    Free Member

I can’t say I’m surprised, when I worked in London I had to change at Wimbledon, 3 minute delay on the tube would lead to a missed train and a 45 minute wait at Wimbledon, after four days I was seriously considering throwing myself under a train.

I started cycling to work…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I gave up on it – there were so many people on the platform at Waterloo that getting through the crowd to the platform where the next train came in with my folding bike would have been pretty tough anyway.

So I cycled 32 miles back to Woking on my Birdy with my waterproofs on 🙂

Pretty saddle sore this morning as I hadn’t cycled any distance in a while, but at least it showed I have recovered from my Kidney infection a couple of weeks ago 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Spare a thought for the poor sod who’s life seemed so wretched they were driven to suicide. Just for a moment.

Then get back to what an inconvenience it was for you to be temporarily delayed.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, I’ve spent many a happy hour there. Particuarly in the days when I was still at school – meeting point for all the local schools…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

To describe your comments as “inappropriate” would do a grave disservice to the word – it’s not strong enough, Elfin. Get a grip.

The poor sod fell back onto the platfrom in bits, in front of everybody, apparently.

The Samaritans have set up a permanent presence at the station. They say it’s only going to get worse what with the economic situation and so forth.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

To describe your comments “inappropriate” would do a grave disservice to the word, Elfin.

Inappropriate why?

Whatever Woppit, whatever.

ericemel
    Free Member

Article dated 2009

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No, not “whatever”, Elfin. The post is about some “poor sod” as you put it, being the latest in a line of tragedies at what is becoming a suicide hotspot.

Using it to try and needle me is shallow, trite and if I might say so, beneath what you deem to be your “caring, sharing” persona expressed elsewhere. A truer picture, perhaps.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Your opening line:

South West network from Waterloo all f****d up again last night

So, whatever, Woppit.

Enough already.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No, I’m not letting this one go. You have no reason to suppose that the opening line was a complaint. It was an observation followed by the reason.

Your “whatever” and “enough already” are just a cheap attempt to put a stop to what you yourself started.

I find your accusation contemptible, as I do you, because of it.

McHamish
    Free Member

Oh…this is going to be one of those threads;

Do you two never get bored?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Agree with Mr Woppit here.

If Elfin had said “Spare a thought for the innocent people that had to witness the dismembered remains of some selfish sod who deliberately chose to top himself in front of as many people as possible (as well as causing as much disruption as possible)” then I might have agreed with him.

There are loads of places he could have committed suicide without harming anyone else.

TimP
    Free Member

Thought this was going to be about the lower concourse redevelopment, but this is going to be way more interesting till it gets pulled

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Woppit, I didn’t see that Elfin’s post was directed at you, but his post did appear to be the first post to address the loss of life in perspective.

If Elfin had said “Spare a thought for the innocent people that had to witness the dismembered remains of some selfish sod who deliberately chose to top himself in front of as many people as possible (as well as causing as much disruption as possible)” then I might have agreed with him.

There are loads of places he could have committed suicide without harming anyone else.

Yeah, well said, what was he thinking off? 🙄

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Back off topic, I used to buy ‘platform tickets’ (anyone remember them?) there as a nipper to watch the trains.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TuckerUK – Member
    Woppit, I didn’t see that Elfin’s post was directed at you, but his post did appear to be the first post to address the loss of life in perspective.

On re-reading the thread, you’re right.

I don’t know why I jumped into that one. My apologies to Elfin for being such a dick.

Why did I behave like a dick? Needs work…

Stoner
    Free Member

I don’t know why I jumped into that one

with a fredpost it’s a conditioned response. 🙂

fair play on the mea culpa though.

ocrider

More than anything, spare a thought for the poor sod driving the train.
    The rest of us might have to put up with the general inconvenience, but at least we don’t have human splattered onto our windscreens.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

here’s another reason to view the suicidal sod with contempt:

Those who witness the suicide or find the body may suffer post traumatic stress. Many feel anger towards the victim, themselves, or others. They may become depressed and all are at high risk of becoming suicidal.

from this page:

http://lifegard.tripod.com/ssfaqs.html

so he has condemned as many people as he could to be at high risk of becoming suicidal themselves.

nice.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I’ll never forget many years ago when a bloke dropped dead of a heart attack on the platform at Farringdon tube station. People were practically stepping over him and the attending station staff to get on the train because everyone knew that as soon as he was declared dead the trains would all be delayed!

Soon after I decided to stop working in London. Heartless bloody place.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

My apologies to Elfin for being such a dick.

Apology accepted, and appreciated, Woppit. Seriously.

Heartless bloody place.

It does seem like that at times, but people are just trying to get to work on time as many bosses aren’t very understanding; time is money etc etc..

But it shows what an uncompassionate and callous society we live in. 🙁

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wimbledon Station.’ is closed to new replies.