Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wimbledon Common
  • root-n-5th
    Free Member

Hello,

I know it’s not very challenging, but does anybody cycle on Wimbledon Common? I was up there the other day and noticed most of the trails had no cycling signs on them, which is a shame. I followed a route plotted by Google Maps, with the Cycling option ticked, and I realise it took me down a trail that had a no cycling sign at the other end of it (nothing when I entered). I went a different route back, but it was more road based.

Just wondered if other routes are worth exploring, or is it all pretty much restricted?

Cheers,
    Sam

Pook

drofluf
    Free Member

A “friend” used to ride the cheeky trails early in the morning or after dark I he rarely got hassle except from the occasional dog walker. Not very challenging but it was on the doorstep and not worth a special trip

NormalMan

“Unfortunately, there aren’t too many official cycle paths on the Common, but the long climb up the bridleway is good for fitness (especially in winter when it’s gloopy mud!).

There is also some good bermed singletrack and bike jumps in Wimbledon Common inbetween the lake and the cemetary. Climb up the hill from the lake (away from the Windmill) to find them.”

Taken from:

http://www.richmondparklondon.co.uk/cycling/mountainbiking/

superleggero
    Free Member

From what I recall a fair amount of Wimbledon Common’s paths/tracks are off limits to cyclists – enough for me to not bother going there again.

Richmond and Bushy Parks are better bets imo. Possible to link all three in a day by using the Thames Path to link Richmond and Bushy parks, and by leaving Richmond Park at Robin Hood Gate and crossing the A3 (there is a traffic light controlled crossing by the Robin Hood exit) straight into Wimbledon Common.

EDIT – There is also the Thames Path itself which can be a nice all-dayer. Thames Path Westbound: Putney > Barnes > Kew > Richmond > Teddington > Kingston > Hampton Court > Sunbury > Walton > Shepperton > Chertsey > Laleham > Staines > Runnymeade > Windsor.

jimdubleyou

The Common forms part of my longer route home in the summer. Usually Windmill Ride and Robin Hood Road, before picking up the Tamsin Trail in Richmond Park. The Tamsin Trail is the only official “off road” track in the park.

None of it is challenging

Didn’t know about the berms/jumps – might try and find them the next time I’m up there.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I seem to remember that cycling was not allowed in most of the common but horse riding was. Typical of that area of London IME!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Great stuff. Seems it’s limited but just googled that singletrack and found this:

http://extremesportsmap.com/uk/spot_details.php?spot_id=2407

Might be worth a look next time I’m there.

poolman
    Free Member

The above river thames towpath is nice, doable on a brompton. I veer off down the wey at shepperton once all the way to guildford but if i did it again i would double back at wisley.

Some really nice cafes along the path too, walton bridge, weybridge high st.

As said not a huge challenge but on a nice summers day its lovely.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It’s part of my local training loop when I’m doing base miles.

You get the odd snotty coment, depending on how snotty dictates my response!

There’s nothing tricky to ride but it’s good enough for a bimble & a reminder of what MTB used to be like trail centres & the sports rise in popularity.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Might try the river with t’family one day. No hills is good!

Seems there are a few cheeky off-pisters around. When I was on sacred ground for hoof and foot I came across quite a few people, some astride horse, and all were friendly. I do slow down to virtual standstill when passing and bide my time, so the non-aggressive approach normally seems to pay off. It was only about half a mile in total looking at the map later.

Saw a group of cyclists, one on a very bright retro Klein, on one of the horsey gallops. Seemed friendly enough and not causing any trouble.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wimbledon Common’ is closed to new replies.