Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wiltshire Riders – off road route advice Calne – Swindon
  • wallop

At work this summer we are holding a ‘500 mile challenge’ which involves travelling between all our sites in the south west by any non-vehicular means.

I’ve volunteered to cycle between Calne and Wroughton because it seemed the segment best suited to an off-road route. But now I need help!

Can I ride the White Horse Trail? Or should I look at the Ridgeway?

cinnamon_girl

As an ex Wiltshire rider, I will attempt to help. 🙂 Will take a look at my mapping software so laters.

cinnamon_girl

OK, I would take the opportunity to ride along Cherhill Down to see a white horse using the Wessex Ridgeway. At Knoll Down cross the A4, R at the X roads which will take you into Avebury. Pick up the Wessex Ridgeway again, aka Herepath and this will take you to the Ridgeway.

At Barbury Castle leave the Ridgeway for Wroughton via a minor road.

Prepare for stunning scenery, empty trails and horses. 😀

wallop

Super! Thank you! Anything cheeky I need to be aware of?

cinnamon_girl

Sorry, me again. 😳

Another option that I think is excellent would be to depart the Ridgeway at Fyfield Down and spend some time atop a grey wether to watch the world go by. It’s an amazing place and has the largest number of Sarsen stones in the country.

cinnamon_girl

Fyfield Down:

The last two are in Totterdown Wood which has a singletrack bridleway running through it. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another option that I think is excellent would be to depart the Ridgeway at Fyfield Down and spend some time atop a grey wether to watch the world go by. It’s an amazing place and has the largest number of Sarsen stones in the country.

She’s right, you know. Glorious countryside.

wallop

Whilst the idea of a detour is a lovely one, I don’t think I’ll have time 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Less than a mile detour through Fyfield Down, it really would be worth it for the singletrack. 🙂

marvincooper

She certainly is right. I’d go over Fyfield too, head for Rockley and then pick up the track to Barbury. I love it up there.

wallop

Ah OK – not too far then! Will investigate….

wallop

It all gets a bit confusing between Rockley and Barbury – any pointers on which track to head up?

cinnamon_girl

If you look at where the reservoir is marked then there is a track in front that leads to Manton Down but just before, where tracks converge, take the bridleway (slightly NE) that leads to Rockley. There is a little bit of singletrack in the woods.

I’m not sure of what to do next as I always used to climb Smeathe’s Ridge.

marvincooper

From Rockley head towards Marlborough on the road just a little way. At a sharp right hand bend there is a house in front and a track going uphill to the left. There is also a small road going behind the house but you don’t want that. The track is a fairly loose stony, wide and fairly steep. Take this and bear left at the top, it will take you all the way to Barbury.

saladdodger
    Free Member

drop down through the woods into Rockley at the bottom at the road turn right, at the end of the road go straight across arter 200ft turn right and head up the track towards barbury castle

saladdodger
    Free Member

elaine this thread makes me want to go back for a spin.

I used to go up to Fyfield Down when I lived in Wroughton at 6am just to watch the place wake up beautiful place

saladdodger
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl

Hello saladdodger. 🙂 You can’t beat Wiltshire for a big sky experience! Isn’t Fyfield Down magical? Your route is the one I used, I do miss the Wiltshire countryside.

saladdodger
    Free Member

me thinks I will treat myself to a Barbury loop all 11 miles of it for old times sake
    Is there still a cafe at barbury?

marvincooper

Nope, it’s derelect 🙁

DavidB
    Free Member

“At Barbury Castle leave the Ridgeway for Wroughton via a minor road.”

Or, follow the byway below Barbary Castle down to a permissive bridleway on the left, this goes past a cow shed then up a slight hill. Go straight over at the road junction then keep following the road right, you will pop out opposite Halcrow. Turn left then 100 yards later go right onto a bridleway and hoon down Ladder Lane, best descent in the area. Follow bridleway to Croft Trail, do a lap, then toddle off to Wroughton on a short road section. Have a pint in the Check Inn to celebrate.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Marvin what happened there it was ace when Brian and lynn ran the place but they upset the council too much after that I dunno cos I moved near to the Quantocks
    Hmmmmmmm Check Inn 😛

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wiltshire Riders – off road route advice Calne – Swindon’ is closed to new replies.