Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wiltshire Pedals & Plates (Gauging Interest)
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

ok here’s a thought, about 40+ miles cross country finishing at a pub for some class food.

The idea being that the ride starts at Barbary Castle and then follow the Ridgeway to Overton Hill, onwards following the White horse trail over the hills to here:

http://www.thesevenstars.co.uk/

where we could all eat some quality food (I should be able to broker us a good deal on the food/drink as my mate’s the Chef)

Swindon would be the closest station for the start (Paddington every 15mins) and the finish is near Pewsey which has a service that goes to Paddington (kinda regular)

Alternatively I could look into sorting out some kind of shuttle service to get us and our bikes back to the Swindon/ the cars after the big feed?

The ride should work out to be more downhill than up and the views, food, ale and company would most certainly be worth the effort!!

I suppose we could even arrange camping at the pub end if anyone fancied it?

so there’s the idea, I’m throwing it out to see if anyone’s interested? any takers?

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh, fat, lazy and unfit riders welcome!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

sounds like the kind of thing i’d be up for

MrNutt
    Free Member

and if folk become too knackered then there could be “chicken routes” along the roads to the pub which would be entirely downhill from Overton Hill!!!

scaredypants

is there a 10 mile bimble option ?

MrNutt
    Free Member

There is a slightly more ‘core addition to the route which could include some mini downhill in some woods if anyone was feeling particularly capable?

I’m thinking that this could be an early start, maybe even begin the ride at dawn?

nickc

Point to point rather than a big ‘ole circle?

MrNutt
    Free Member

a shorter version could be also run with a later start from Avebury?

but a fair amount of this ride is gravity assisted so it shouldn’t feel like half as far as it actually is?

scaredypants

no, I’m losing you…. breaking up……..dawn………posing pouch……………nightie !

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep, point to point, unless you want to ride back, which would then be mostly uphill 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

ok, 10:30 start with a late lunch?

scaredypants

and a van ? 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

what do you want with a van?

(there would be one at the pub after any collections from Swindon/Pewsey train stations)

nickc

I can see a giant flaw in your plan…

MrNutt
    Free Member

fitness? weather? do tell!

MrNutt
    Free Member

…what is the giant flaw?? no date??

Moses

In theory, yes, I’m interested……..depends on dates, of course

MrNutt
    Free Member

how about the middle of Feb or start of March? I’m thinking on a Saturday??

psychle
    Free Member

would be interested subject to me being off on the weekend you run it, I shall keep an eye on the thread 🙂

Moses

Early March sounds good, and the evenings are longer, too.

stuckinarut
    Free Member

Sounds like a good idea to me (although slightly nervous I haven’t spotted nickc’s giant flaw… is it bad?)

I’d be up for that. Depending on date (look at me – like I have a busy social calendar!!).

I missed CG’s Swinley ride due to stonking hangover, so I’m determined to get along to another STW gathering.

DezB
    Free Member

Mid Feb please. Then I’d be a definite.

Got a Scotland trip early March and I have to spread these things out.

(See Rudeboy’s posting on that other thread!)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wiltshire Pedals & Plates (Gauging Interest)’ is closed to new replies.