Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wiltshire-ists; two day tour ideas *CFH and C-G to the forum please*
  • IHN

Thinking of doing a weekend roady tour, Wiltshire way. Plan is start on Saturday in Cirencester, do 60 miles-ish, B&B/pub Saturday night, 60 miles-ish back on the Sunday. Pub/café lunch stops both days.

Ideally lots of little country lanes, taking in all the finest scenery the Downs have to offer. A few hills won’t hurt either (all in training for Ride London).

Suggestions?

cinnamon_girl

Hello Nettles, let me have a think about this. 🙂

IHN

“Nettles”, who he? 😉

nemesis
    Free Member

I hate him who ever he is 😉

(tick)

IHN

Very good, sir, very good *doffs cap*

cinnamon_girl

OK, wondering where you’ll be crossing the M4? Is Avebury/Silbury Hill etc in your plan, white horses, cafe culture?

cinnamon_girl

Dep Marlborough, home of cafe culture and it’s a seriously lovely little place. Don’t eat much cos there’s somewhere really good further on. Head for Lockeridge, Knap Hill, Alton Barnes.

Divert to Woodborough Garden Centre (grid ref SU119596), food is really nice here, big proper cyclists portions and you can sit outside on the decking.

Back to the crossroads at Alton Barnes and head West so Stanton St Bernard, this is a lovely quiet road with good views of the white horse and Downs. You could head up to Bishops Cannings, this will eventually take you to Calne.

DavidB
    Free Member

Go here register to download route GPX files. Then follow the Tour of The White Horses which does exactly what you want (split into 2). Then buy the book 😉

cinnamon_girl

I never got around to the Tour of the White Horses, couldn’t decide between road or off road. Anyway DavidB is the expert on Wiltshire so listen to him. 😀

Mmm, not sure whether that link accepted my addy.

richardk
    Free Member

Start in Cirencester, take the back road to Royal Wootton Bassett. From there, up Hackpen hill, then up onto the Ridgeway for fantastic views. Nice roll down from there (mostly) into Marlbrough.

Coming back, hit Avebury, Brinkworth, Minety and Somerford Keynes

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Plan is start on Saturday in Cirencester

That’s over the border! Hope your jabs are up to date! 🙂

I’d try heading across north of Swindonia, then looping south through the likes of Bishopstone (Try the Royal Oak. Tim, the landlord, is a fine chap and you’ll be well looked after!). Then on to Marlborough, through Aldbourne and Axford. In town, if there’s still 6X from wood at the Lamb, that should be your first stop. Spent many happy evenings in Marlborough….!

Plenty of accomodation options around as well. You could look out towards Preshute or Manton as well.

Next day, head up through the Fyfield/Rockley area towards Lyneham, then home via the Somerfords.

As to exact roads, best bet is to get on your preferred route planner and look for the B roads. It’s pleasantly hilly around there, nothing too brutal, and lots of lovely country to explore!

IHN

That’s over the border! Hope your jabs are up to date!

Definitely; I work in Swindon *shudder*

Thanks all, some good food for thought.

cinnamon_girl

Royal Wootton Bassett. From there, up Hackpen hill, then up onto the Ridgeway for fantastic views. Nice roll down from there (mostly) into Marlbrough.

richardk – I thought that this road was popular with motorbikes? Seem to remember my friend in RWB mentioning it.

DavidB
    Free Member

The Hackpen Hill road is normally reasonably quiet. I can’t say I’ve seen a large number of motorbikes on it compared to anywhere else.

Coming from Bassett I’d take a small diversion up Clyffe Pypard and have a go at Rob Jackson’s KoM. You won’t beat it. I’ve been trying for years.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wiltshire-ists; two day tour ideas *CFH and C-G to the forum please*’ is closed to new replies.