Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wiltshire Challenge: longest singletrack/ highest point
  • Gilles

Done this singletrack last week end, near Devizes, and it's pretty long:

Was wondering if there is anything else similar in Wiltshire, and also where is the highest point? (Nobody laughs at the North please).

Cheers.

peteimpreza

Where is that then?

Anna-B
    Free Member

Nice pic Gilles! I always thought the highest point in Wiltshire was Win Green (277m) – did a nice 45mile loop passing through there from Salisbury a couple of weeks ago, using Shaston and Ox Drove amongst other tracks. Yes, where's your pic?

Gilles

it's on the Pewsey Down, part of the White Horse trail, toward Avesbury. From my map, the path goes near a top at 294m (Milk Hill), so I was wondering if I was actually near the highest point in Wiltshire.

brassneck

Yes, it's Milk Hill – I thought Tan Hill touched 297m but wasn't on a bridle way directly (though on one notices should you pootle over to the trig point on the basius there is no one there :-))

If you lift the camera up a bit you can see Silbury hill there I think.

brassneck

Collingbourne Woods has some pretty long singletrack runs, but they aren't quite as dramatic as dropping off the Wansdyke as above. I think the woods just sneak into Wilts.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Milk and Tan hill, often ride over from Avebury to All Cannings over the top. I guess the picture is of Wansdyke?

Gilles

Checking map…yes it is along Wansdyke.

drain

Yeah that's the Wansdyke alright, part of a nice loop I used to do out from Barbury Castle skirting Milk Hill, Walkers Hill and Tan Hill out to Cherhill. Great in the dry, character-building when wet.

Milk and Tan Hill both 294m, and Hackpen Hill is pretty close too at 272m. The descent of Cherhill can be fun, as is the drop down from Poulton Downs (c.210m) to Ogbourne Maizey ((135m).

Edric64
    Free Member

not sure which of Milk or Tan hill is highest as they until recently were given the same height but sat mapping has sorted the arguement but I cant remember which way

Edric64
    Free Member

Apparently Milk hill is 26cm higher

monsta
    Free Member

Liddington Hill is 277mm, but unfortunately there aren't any long descents down from it. That said, there're some longish descents off the ridgelines to the south such as Baydon to Preston (via Winchcombe Copse).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The woods behind Nationwide in Swindon?

😉

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Hi Gilles – nice pic, damn shame i couldn't make it! Sprog was ill, then passed it to me (as they do). another time

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wiltshire Challenge: longest singletrack/ highest point’ is closed to new replies.