Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 373 total)
  • Wills and Kate
  • sweepy
    Free Member

Will their son be the last King

Why wait till him?

chewkw
    Free Member

sweepy – Member

Will their son be the last King

Why wait till him?

Because the older generation is still here. 🙄

Weasel
    Free Member

Get rid of the lot of em, the Evening Standard (watered down Daily Wail) has been running 4 page spreads on them on their holiday, self promotion trip to the other side of the world.

chewkw
    Free Member

They need to sell newspaper you know hence the inevitable consequences of publicity.

I have no problem with monarchy but they will never last. Nothing last forever.

sweepy
    Free Member

Because the older generation is still here.

Mate, I am the older generation.

chewkw
    Free Member

sweepy – Member

Because the older generation is still here.

Mate, I am the older generation.

There are older older generation that keeps reminding the rest of the past. 😆

Is the presidential system better?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cannot believe we are still subjugated in this way.

I’m amazed that you can type with all that weight of tyrannical oppression on your shoulders. The yoke of torment around your neck. The suffering of the subjugation must be terrible for you. I mean, every day, you’re oppressed by it, aren’t you? Stops you from leading the life you wish you could, doesn’t it? Stops every little bit of your freedom doesn’t it?

Sandwich

Have we done watery bints handing out scimitars yet?

We have now! It’s no foundation for governance.

marcus7
    Free Member

AA, I assumed you liked kids with being a teacher and all but suggesting you would happily see a 10 month old boy shot I’m not so sure. What is it about him that you think he deserves such action?, seriously what has he done?. 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

Yes I am oppressed everyday and I would wish to live in a meritocracy, the royal family are just poster boys for the monied elite who think they are superior to others by accident of birth.
    However rather than trying somewhat crudely to duck the issue through a poor attempt at ridicule maybe you could suggest how the concept of royalty is a good thing?

anagallis_arvensis

I love the ability of people on here who as far as I can recall I have never interacted with to bring up my job.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How do the royal family oppress you every day, then?

marcus7
    Free Member

Wow, talk about touchy, I didn’t realise it was invitation only to interact with you, my mistake, I’d always considered it an open forum, I didn’t realise …

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why don’t you just, erm, posit why you think it’s such a good idea…rather than asking more questions?*

*Yes, that’s another question.

EDIT: @ O’Flashearty

anagallis_arvensis

They oppress me everyday by subjugating me. Any chance you could suggest how the idea of royalty is anything other than abhorrent?

anagallis_arvensis

Oops

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Meritocracy has merits but it still suffers from the criticism of being largely an accident of birth. You can’t escape that…

…I feel no subjugation, indeed the very few times that I have been in the presence of royalty have been quite the opposite. Looking at the crowds and the joy that they are having, it seems that I am not alone. Hard to describe that as abhorrent.

bearnecessities

They oppress me everyday by subjugating me

One example. Go on. 😉

project
    Free Member

If we didnt have a so called royal family, would anyone actually sit down at a computer and create them, with the huge cost implications for the rest of us.

They just seem a tireless aged throwback to a previous age,bit like woolworths pic and mix past their sell by date,and all look the same.

If they want to be amongst the people get rid of police protection, big houses and flash cars and live in inner city birmingham with the masses luv.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

However rather than trying somewhat crudely to duck the issue through a poor attempt at ridicule maybe you could suggest how the concept of royalty is a good thing?

To be fair you have ridiculed yourself with comments such as “They oppress me everyday by subjugating me”. I’m struggling to believe that you are actually being serious.

IMO the monarchy has no role in an advanced democracy but firstly we don’t have an advanced democracy, and secondly, the monarchy is pretty much an irrelevance in the 21st century anyway. Try keeping some sort of perspective which chimes with actual reality instead of talking about being oppressed and subjugated.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Not a massive fan of royalty but wills and kate seem decent enough folks.

As for the ‘born in to luxury’ argument, on the flip side you could have been born into a family of goat herders in Rwanda…I’m sure they’re probably as bitter as you are when they read about all of those lucky sods on STW riding around on their 4k carbon pushbikes.

marcus7
    Free Member

Now I’ve never interacted with Ernie but I hope he doesn’t mind me agreeing with him, I really don’t believe they all need shooting as they really are not that relevant.

MSP

Queenie is relevant enough to have a weekly audience with the prime minister, how many of her subjects get that privilege.

chewkw
    Free Member

As long as they are not bureaucratic zombies they can be as royal as they want. :mrgreen:

mogrim

What worries me is that perhaps they’re more relevant than we realise, we assume it’s just the Queen doing her silly wave, Charles being a t**t, and Wills and Kate looking lovely… but are those weekly meetings with the PM just the tip of the iceberg? Do they actually have real undemocratic power?

FWIW Kate is hugely popular in the press here in Spain, from a UK PLC point of view she’s worth every penny.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m gonna take a shot in the dark here and guess that those slagging off the monarchy also put similar effort into slagging off the government…..
    Just a guess…..

Personally, back in 1642 I wouldn’t have been on Cromwellls side.
    Would you stand with Cameron if civil war broke out now?

molgrips
    Free Member

Cannot believe we are still subjugated in this way

Are we? When has the existence of the monarchy impinged on my life?

As for the money thing – I have heard lots of different answers to the question of whether or not they scrounge off the state.

grantway
    Free Member

Not a Royalist, so don’t give two shoots

MSP

Would you stand with Cameron if civil war broke out now?

No, standing with Cameron would be standing with the royalists.

But if a political party proposed disbanding the monarchy I would consider it a positive policy that would have my support.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

In all fairness, the absolutist Monarchy of the Stuarts (divine right of kings was a new idea to England) was far, far different to the Monarchy we have today. Whilst i would have joined Lilburne & his Levellers in the 1640’s & think that the events of January 31st 1649 were brutally necessary, the Monarchy of today is an irrelevance rather than the brutalist rule of a religious minded elite.

zokes
    Free Member

Yes I am oppressed everyday and I would wish to live in a meritocracy,

You could just move back to the green green grass of home….

Funny thing is, enough people even like them there: they’re both hugely popular in north wales as that’s where they stayed, very low key, whilst wills fished those in dire need out of the sea and off mountains. I’m not a particular fan of the concept of royalty, but within the bound set for him in his life, William seems a pretty decent bloke, Kate is nice enough, and George hasn’t even reached the age of one.

So, back to that meritocracy: wanting to shoot a rescue pilot, his wife and son? I’ll happily judge you on the merit of that vitriolic statement.

racefaceec90

This is one of those topics that shows me how different the views many other people have are from mine. I find it astonishing that people could possibly think the concept of royalty is anything other than abhorrent. There’s worse things in the world obviously but the idea of royalty is so obviously wrong to me as to be past debate. Cannot believe we are still subjugated in this way.

agree with this.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I believe I may have aired some of my views surrounding this subject on here previously.

Going by the company the royal family have kept in the not too distant past, I think it’s fair to say their holidays are just a PR exercise to keep the brand positive.

Lets not forget Jimmy Savile was close enough to act as a mediator between Charles and Diana…

Which leads to a LOT of unanswered questions

Furthermore, within the past few months, there was a story in the press of how the Queen was skint and needed more public money to fix up the palace, however, being as she rules over a number of Offshore Tax Havens, including the worlds richest, Jersey, which coincidentally was regularly visited by Jimmy Savile (often in the company of Royals), I can’t help but wonder if her madge was playing the media like a sneaky so & so

Funny then that Leah Mcgrath Goodman the award winning journalist who wished to investigate Jersey was detained for over 12 hours and had her visa revoked on the authority of the Home Secretary for no apparent reason, only to have it reinstated about 18 months later after intervention by an MP

I wonder what the noble Royals would have to say on that matter?

Perhaps Prince Andrew would be a good spokesperson

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Sorry, didn’t read most of that, can we just get back to pictures of Kate in nice dresses please?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Not on your nellie!! 😉

and somehow, I neglected to post a link to Leah Mcgrath Goodman’s piece on Jersey

jekkyl

Can you imagine what Prince Philip thought when he met her?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Jimmy Savile/Frank Bruno/Yorkshire Ripper/Prince Charles/Lady Diana/Queen Mother/pedophile/serial killer/heavy weight boxer link, eh ?

If that doesn’t make the case for the abolition of the monarchy then I don’t know what does.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Jive Honey and a saville link, I just fell off my chair

john_drummer
    Free Member

Nah, it makes for the case of the abolition of Hello magazine and its ilk.
    And its readers

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Aye, doubly so when there is plenty of hot totty in the public eye whom don’t require tax funding.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 373 total)

The topic ‘Wills and Kate’ is closed to new replies.