Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Will we get man on Mars in our lifetime?
  • steveoath
    Free Member

Plans for two separate trips:NASA 2030, spaceX 2024.

thewanderer
    Free Member

As above. Space X is on track for the 2024 launch and a little after that it’ll only cost you $0.5m to get a ticket.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/08/how-and-why-spacex-will-colonize-mars.html

thewanderer
    Free Member

Sell your London house. Go live on Mars.

franksinatra

I still don’t understand why we haven’t been back to the moon.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s still an awful lot we don’t know about space travel beyond low Earth orbit. There’s evidence to suggest that cosmic radiation does serious damage to human heart valves. Astronauts in LEO have some degree of protection from radiation because they’ll still be within the Earth’s magnetic field, the Apollo missions were no more than a few days in duration, but missions to Mars may take months or even years to complete.

The Observer

If we do return to the moon, it has to be with a long term goal in mind. This could be to exploit mineral resources, or to collect Helium 3 deposits which could power Fusion reactors in the future, but this would require considerable upfront investment in infrastructure. We would need to construct habitats, tap sources of water, figure out how to shield astronauts from dangerous radiation. We’ve also got to figure out how to economically and reliably send and return human crews and cargo.

andyl
    Free Member

They discovered that it wasnt made of cheese after all so lost interest. No commercial point if you can’t mine the cheese and bring it back.

footflaps

Poor reviews on Trip Advisor, plus you can only get an ‘Explorer’ badge by reviewing new places.

doris5000

thought this article about the Mars One project was a good read, especially about what it might actually be like to live there:

https://medium.com/matter/all-dressed-up-for-mars-and-nowhere-to-go-7e76df527ca0#.p6dnogktb

thecaptain
    Free Member

Hope not, huge waste of money and resources. Making solar power cheap and efficient enough to replace fossil fuels, improved power storage would bring huge benefits to mankind. Someone stepping on Mars? Not so much.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What about the Mars One mission that was planning on sending people and pods there to set up a colony? Has that all fallen apart recently?

http://www.mars-one.com/

bikebouy
    Free Member

I estimate I’ve got about 25 years left of my lifetime, and I don’t expect to see Humans on Mars within that timeline.

molgrips
    Free Member

I then you get into the situation that parasitic weight on the earth launcher gets out of hand – ie the extra fuel to lift the extra weight means a stronger rocket that weighs more

Not really, cos it doesn’t have to all go up in one go. We could build an orbital spaceport easily enough. The ship might have to go up in a few big pieces, but we can take fuel up in as many trips as it takes.

Then there’s radiation levels well beyond anything a human can tolerate long term, even in suits and shielded habitats you’ll be carrying the dust in with you which you can’t just wash off easily.

The dust isn’t radioactive though. The radiation comes from the sun.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Not sure. I think we could get to the point where we could send someone, but I’m not sure whether we will. I’m not sure I see people getting sent off to die on Mars even though I think there would be no shortage of people willing to go, and a return trip is probably stretching it a bit.
    But I think ultimately it will come down to whether somebody decides it’s worth the money and has the resources or (if it’s a government) the political will and clout to make it happen. Unless some game-changing technology comes along in the near future I reckon that’s the real obstacle, not the tech.
    I’m 45 BTW.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Surprised no-one has mentioned Zubrin yet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Zubrin

I suppose the answer is: yes, we could do it, it wouldn’t be that dear in relative terms, but I don’t think we want to do it somehow.

If we do it, it will be the likes of Musk who’ll pay for it.

Cougar

They discovered that it wasnt made of cheese after all so lost interest. No commercial point if you can’t mine the cheese and bring it back.

That was actually a US TV commercial, I saw it on holiday once. Something like,

“We used to think the moon was made of cheese.
    Then we went there and found it was made of rock.
    We haven’t been back since.

The National Cheese Marketing Board.” (or some such)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Except all those little developments that got us to the moon (and flight, and the motorcar, and the internal combustion engine, and the steam engine) were made up of lots of solutions to lots of little problems that stopped the BIG problem being solved.

Think it was one of the US tech companies found that by setting one big (huge…..massive) task they got a lot more done than by setting 20 or 30 smaller tasks.

And sometimes you don’t even know what the little solutions are until you’ve broken down the big problem………

slowoldman

I understood it was something to do with problems negotiating trade agreements with The Clangers.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Mars One mission though……..? Anyone……?

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Just to correct the assumption that you can “just use a parachute”.

You can use one but not on its own, the atmosphere is just not thick enough.

Which is why probes have used various combinations of heat shields, parachutes, rockets, inflatable bouncy balls etc. etc.

See 7 minutes of terror for the curiosity probe, and then imagine a vehicle with 10 or 20 (?) times the mass and with people on board.

doris5000

Mars One mission though……..? Anyone……?

the article I posted above was substantially about that.

the general tone of it was that they’re not much better than shysters and subsequent revelations (ie losing the tv deals they had set up) means they basically don’t have any cash

So, here are the facts as we understand them: Mars One has almost no money. Mars One has no contracts with private aerospace suppliers who are building technology for future deep-space missions. Mars One has no TV production partner. Mars One has no publicly known investment partnerships with major brands. Mars One has no plans for a training facility where its candidates would prepare themselves. Mars One’s candidates have been vetted by a single person, in a 10-minute Skype interview.

https://medium.com/matter/mars-one-insider-quits-dangerously-flawed-project-2dfef95217d3#.xupank2mf

twisty

I think it’s a bit like climbing up Ben Nevis in crappy weather. It is doable with a bit of effort but when you get there, there is just a bleak rocky landscape and nothing else to do other than return back home.

CountZero

And we can only do that on Mars? Near earth construction is always a stepping stone further on, in the forseeable future travel to Mars is always building stuff in order to throw it away. And there’d be no shortage of technological development and inspiration with close-to-home operations.

There’s also a basic moral argument to be settled; what right do we have to go to another planet when we’re still making an absolute arse of this one. This isn’t a resources thing, we could un**** earth and go to mars. But we’re not especially un****ing earth, right now. So what’s the gameplan? Resources? Mining corporations in spaaaaaaace? Space travel is a first world job really and right now the first world is mostly about making sure everything is owned by as few people as possible, that’s no attitude to take off your home planet. And do we go to Mars to explore it or to change it?
    India has a bigger space programme than the UK; are they a first world country, or third?
    I honestly can’t remember.
    And what moral argument are you thinking of? It’s not like there are lots of innocent little green people we can corrupt with our first-world ways, or a fragile environment with lots of startlingly rare plants and animals we can destroy, eh?
    Mars, at least from orbit, is quite staggeringly beautiful, but that’s likely a macro-scale thing, the patterns of dunes caused by the thin atmosphere and winds are unlike anything on Earth, but at a surface level, the photographs sent back so far show Mars to be a very barren place, and there’s little or no chance to terraform it, realistically, because Mars lacks a molten core and mass to hold a thicker atmosphere, so any long-term habitation is almost certainly going to be in domes.
    Although, with the lower gravity, domes could be constructed from light composites and be much, much bigger, so it’s not impossible.
    We may not get there in my lifetime, I’m 62, but when you consider that there were people who lived to see man go from basically a horse-and-cart society to a lunar landing, then it’s not unlikely, if the will is there.
    Going back a bit to the comment about technological development, a project like a Mars mission would be just the thing to get tech development going in new areas, the miniaturisation of electronics was driven by the need to save weight in space, along with communication gear, assembling a large craft in orbit, like has been done with the ISS, is perfectly feasible now, with the likes of Musk’s re-usable lifters, and fuel doesn’t have to be an issue if you’re building outside the gravity well, solar sails are a valid form of propulsion for long term missions, once the initial burn has moved the vehicle out of earth orbit, and there a new developments in ion-rockets, which give slow but steady acceleration with low fuel needs; they’re already in use on some satellites, IIRC.
    Yeah, ion thrusters were developed in the 1960’s!
    http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/about/fs21grc.html

ahwiles
    Free Member

ion-drives?

pfft, it’s all about microwave resonance these days…

Anyway, to answer the question: i’m 38 and my answer is ‘No’ – i don’t see any public support for the £500billion it’ll cost.

edit: maybe China…

seosamh77
    Free Member

thecaptain – Member
    Hope not, huge waste of money and resources.

Not really, we’re going to have to learn to live on an uninhabitable planet and ultimately, terra-form it, at some time in the future anyhow, might as-well get an early start on that kinda learning.

I hear you say… why not just go to the moon? Well looking further down the line, we’re going to have to level( 😆 edit leave) the solar system in a billion or so years, so really need to get this long distance travel patter down too, mars is a decent start there.

tis all about perspective! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    i don’t see any public support for the £500billion it’ll cost.

Hmm, hundredish quid a head over the next 20 years?

i’m in! 😆

theotherjonv

7 minutes of terror

Sounds like the aftermath of my first date with a girl from Hetton-le-Hole after she invited me in for coffee.

I’d walk to Mars before i’d consider a second.

Northwind

CountZero – Member

India has a bigger space programme than the UK; are they a first world country, or third?

Space travel, I said.

bensales
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member

Anyway, to answer the question: i’m 38 and my answer is ‘No’ – i don’t see any public support for the £500billion it’ll cost.

Which is why, thankfully, these things are being done by private enterprise now, rather than governments.

Musk will get there. Just look at what he’s done in the last ten years, the next will be very surprising.

darrell
    Free Member

that Exopolitics.org website is hilarious

like some really bad 1950s sci fi novel

molgrips
    Free Member

Musk will get there. Just look at what he’s done in the last ten years

Create a niche gadget car that goes fast? And..?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

We already have the tech to get a lot of mass and people to Mars and back, it’s just VERY dirty. It’s called an Orion, and if we had a need to get there fast that’s what we’d have to use.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

The current Simpsons episode on Sky 1 is a kind of take the piss on the whole Mars One thing!

😀

Season 27 Ep 16

epicyclo

tjagain – Member
    …Plus I would think more than a 3 man team plus all the supplies for a trip of months not days. Kilo of food per person per day minimum. thats several tonnes of food…

Couldn’t they just eat Mars bars?

Snicker… 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Will we get man on Mars in our lifetime?’ is closed to new replies.