Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Will we get man on Mars in our lifetime?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Just watched the Martian, thoroughly enjoyed it. Got me thinking, at 41 will I see the first man/woman on Mars?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

How old are you?

oldnpastit

It’s actually easier to get to Mars in some ways than it is to go to the moon – you can just use a parachute to slow your descent, so much less fuel is required.

Unless of course you want to come back.

zippykona

No.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So getting there isn’t the issue. It’s carrying the fuel to get home that is. There’s a few I’d like to nominate as captain of that ship then 😆

Coyote
    Free Member

How old are you?

I’m guessing very early forties?

jon1973
    Free Member

I did like that film, but the phrase
    “I’m going to have to science the shit out of this” made me cringe a bit.

wrightyson
    Free Member

5 Internet pounds to coyote 😉

zippykona

I missed the end of the film as my plane was landing.
    Assuming the rescue mission failed and everyone died.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Did Quaid start the reactor?

project
    Free Member

CAPTAIN SCARLET reached mars in the late 60,s but then he was indestrucable

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think so, aye, probly when i’m in my 60s though. I’m 38.

mikey74
    Free Member

I was having a debate in a pub with some planetary science friends of mine (we share some geology modules) and the consensus was that yes, we will get to Mars within the not too dim, distance future, but the timescale depends on how committed the main players are.

What actually became the main focus of the conversation was the sex of the people who should go: The main assertion by the PS guys (and gal) was that they should all be women: This is because whatever psychological traits women have, they tend to be less domineering than men, and therefore more likely to work as a team. With men, you tend to get the person with the most dominant personality winning out, who may not always be the right person to be making decisions. On no account should it be a mixed sex group who goes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I missed the end of the film as my plane was landing.
    Assuming the rescue mission failed and everyone died.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but…..

The ship hit an iceberg. Sank. Terribly sad.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Yes, at the rate Space X is going and the driving force of Elon Musk.

slowoldman

I think I can confidently predict not in my lifetime. Which is a shame, I grew up through the race to the moon and it was a huge “thing”. Even if it was filmed on a Hollywood set.

tjagain

No. Its far too big a cost in energy to be possible unless some vastly improved way of storing energy is found. fusion power perhaps if it can be harnessed but with chemical fuels – not a chance. Its orders of magnitude more energy needed than the moon shots.

mikey74
    Free Member

Even if it was filmed on a Hollywood set.

I assume you forgot the winky emoticon there?

Northwind

Getting people to mars, well within our capability. Getting them back, not so much. That’d be a much bigger job.

Still need to ask the question, why. Much more orbiting and maybe lunar capability would arguably make more sense- get us out of the gravity well rather than trying to do everything from the bottom of a hole.

mikey74
    Free Member

Getting people to mars, well within our capability. Getting them back, not so much. That’d be a much bigger job.

Still need to ask the question, why. Much more orbiting and maybe lunar capability would arguably make more sense- get us out of the gravity well rather than trying to do everything from the bottom of a hole.

I think most people agree it would be a one way trip, or at least a long-term stay.

Why? Exploration, technology development, eduation: No other reasons are required.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why? Exploration, technology development, eduation: No other reasons are required.

oldnpastit

tjagain – Member

No. Its far too big a cost in energy to be possible unless some vastly improved way of storing energy is found. fusion power perhaps if it can be harnessed but with chemical fuels – not a chance. Its orders of magnitude more energy needed than the moon shots.

Not necessarily the case.

You need to reach escape velocity, which is the same in both cases. For visiting the Moon, you need to haul a load of fuel to slow you down on your descent; going to Mars you just need a parachute.

But going to Mars takes longer, so you need more to keep your passengers alive. You need some shielding from all that hard radiation.

But while that adds up to more, it doesn’t add up to orders of magnitude more.

Northwind

And we can only do that on Mars? Near earth construction is always a stepping stone further on, in the forseeable future travel to Mars is always building stuff in order to throw it away. And there’d be no shortage of technological development and inspiration with close-to-home operations.

There’s also a basic moral argument to be settled; what right do we have to go to another planet when we’re still making an absolute arse of this one. This isn’t a resources thing, we could un**** earth and go to mars. But we’re not especially un****ing earth, right now. So what’s the gameplan? Resources? Mining corporations in spaaaaaaace? Space travel is a first world job really and right now the first world is mostly about making sure everything is owned by as few people as possible, that’s no attitude to take off your home planet. And do we go to Mars to explore it or to change it?

oldnpastit

Easy: in the future, Amazon, Disney, Apple and Google will need a new source of wealthy consumers to buy their products. They will fund putting people on Mars so that they can grow their share price.

tjagain

OK maybe a bit hyperbolic but its not just a bit more. You need to lift a lot more into orbit and you need a much bigger more heavily fueled lander. Plus I would think more than a 3 man team plus all the supplies for a trip of months not days. Kilo of food per person per day minimum. thats several tonnes of food.

I then you get into the situation that parasitic weight on the earth launcher gets out of hand – ie the extra fuel to lift the extra weight means a stronger rocket that weighs more and you quickly reach the point of diminishing returns – so actually you will need multiple launches to get all the stuff you need into space. Then you need people in orbit to assemble it all even before you set off to mars

Then the issues with recycling air. Gonna take plants to make oxygen? Or split it out of water by electrolysis? People turn oxygen into water – got to get it back to O2 somehow. Plants – heavy hydroponics or electrolysis – lots of energy required and energy weighs a lot unless you use nukes wehich require heavy shielding

!ts certainly not just double or triple the energy of the moon shots- its many times as much

Its far beyond any realistic hope with current tech

tjagain

Personally I think robotics is getting so good that there is little point anyway in sending people.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You need to lift a lot more into orbit

Reminds me of a once popular tag on this very forum!

#tjagaingoesintoorbit

😉

mikey74
    Free Member

@ flashheart

I’m sorry, you’re going to have to explain that one.

@ NW:

Whilst I completely agree we shouldn’t be settling on other planets until we learn to look after our own, we aren’t talking about settlement: We’re talking about a field trip, to explore.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m sorry, you’re going to have to explain that one.

Reed the wordz thut ewe tiped.

Eduation. 😀

tjagain

Edukation my dear boy!

mikey74
    Free Member

Ah! The irony. I blame the red wine (it is my birthday, after all). My fingers move faster than my brain at the best of times

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

Happie burthdae.

mikey74
    Free Member

Haha cheers [hic]

6079smithw
    Free Member

WHISTLEBLOWER CLAIMS HE SERVED 17 YEARS AT SECRET MARS MILITARY BASE

http://exopolitics.org/whistleblowers-claims-he-served-17-years-at-secret-mars-military-base/

seadog101

Just getting to mars isn’t the end point though, is it?

Developing the technologies that will enable us to get to Mars will bring far more gains than what we do on Mars.

It’s a pretty inhospitalble place, despite what the Pop-sci brigade would have us believe, Bugger all atmosphere to use, for a start. Then there’s radiation levels well beyond anything a human can tolerate long term, even in suits and shielded habitats you’ll be carrying the dust in with you which you can’t just wash off easily.

The best we could hope for is a manned mission that orbits and sends down lots of robots and drones that they control directly to do the interesting stuff more efficiently than the current ones. The time delay limits our interaction with the current explorers massively, though they have done amazing things up there.

The moon was only visited a handful of times as the cost of getting there didn’t justify what we could find out about the place, sorry to burst the bubble, but scientifically speaking, it’s just not that interesting.

Northwind

seadog101 – Member

Developing the technologies that will enable us to get to Mars will bring far more gains than what we do on Mars.

Might as well just develop them then not go 😆

PrinceJohn

I’d be more worried about their chances of coming here first. I remember there old documentaries with Marvin the Martian, he seemed a pretty violent guy

petefromearth

How about an enormous space catapult, either in orbit, or on the moon (which with its low gravity might still work, and at least you could screw it down to something)

Mr Musk if you’re listening, and haven’t thought of that yet, I’d be happy to fly to California and show you a diagram / Lego prototype

seosamh77
    Free Member

seadog101 – Member
    Just getting to mars isn’t the end point though, is it?

Well I guess that’s the question isn’t it. Is it really viable to send people to live on mars for a year the very first time? tbh, first time, you’d think a few weeks would be the best bet. Gain the experience to plan for a 2nd/3rd journey.

Edit, though i guess first time will just be the journey there and back, mind you.

mikey74
    Free Member

😆 @ princejohn

He definitely seemed to have anger issues. I didn’t like the look of his friend, Gossamer, either. Competency was not his strong point, though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Will we get man on Mars in our lifetime?’ is closed to new replies.