Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Will UKIP really split the tory vote and let Labour in?
  • kimbers

The irony of the symbolism of that graph

politics is like an Emperial Star Destroyer?

brooess
    Free Member

Show this video to anyone you know who thinks UKIP are anything original 🙂

Compulsory measurement of all adult British knees

bokonon
    Free Member

Sorry Ernie, but thats complete cobblers. I’m absolutely infuriated by the lack of policies. And politicians making vague, wooly noncommittal noises as a supposed substitute for them.

If people weren’t bothered, then people wouldn’t read broadsheet newspapers, watch Newsnight or Question Time, listen to the Today programme in the morning. Or generally get apoplectic with rage, and rant on internet forums

I disagree – there are parties with policies, and they are ignored, The Green Party has pages and pages and pages of fairly detailed in depth policies on everything you could imagine, all democratically agreed by the party as a whole at national conferences over a period of years – http://policy.greenparty.org.uk and yet people aren’t much interested – The Green Party is dismissed as being only about the environment, despite having pretty good evidence to the contrary, available to everyone, fairly easily.

people simply aren’t interested in “policies”.

Seems like a reasonable assessment of the situation. You can tell people what your policies are, but that won’t convince them to vote for you.

binners

bokonon – Thatis why I just filled my postal vote in for the Green party. Seems to me they’re saying a lot of things the labour party should be saying, if they weren’t like a rabbit in the headlights, too scared to utter a word

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having just gone through an election down here in Oz where policy was fairly scant and an opposition who won because they were not the government it’s a pattern all over. Soundbite headlines momentum it’s all you need to win. Even better if the lot who are in are unpopular. Ukip for the pissed off tory who won’t vote labour or the lefties who won’t vote tory. What’s the choice lib dem? They cover the I’m not racist but too. All based on nothing at all.

It was summed up that this generation would hit like on Facebook but not vote. Shout about it but not get involved. In some ways politics needs less tech and more time connecting to people.

bokonon
    Free Member

bokonon – Thatis why I just filled my postal vote in for the Green party.

It’s why I dedicate an inordinate amount of my time to campaigning for and working for (volunteering for) the party as well.

It is clear on the door step, that it is difficult to engage people in discussions about policies – the notion that “there is no alternative” is a very strong one, that governments don’t really have a choice, any government you elect will have to do these things – cut welfare, privatise more stuff, give tax breaks to rich people and decrease the amount of protection employees get – that all the major parties have signed up to this mantra is a real concern, that people generally are going along with it is even worse.

brooess
    Free Member

tbh the changes the West is going through (lower standard of living, lower levels of wealth and competitiveness) are way beyond the power of national governments – and no set of policies adhering to a certain political stance are likely to help us survive/thrive.

Essentially, globalisation and technology are wreaking havoc with the old world order and as the ones who have the most, we also have the most to lose. My view is that people are basically terrified about this loss of relative wealth and power – even though the reality may not really be that bad. The ageing population and obesity are added burdens that will inflict massive cost on the working population.

Farage is playing on this fear – nothing more – he has no better idea than anyone else how to maintain our standard of living.

Right now we need 2 things: 1) change our expectations of what the government can afford to provide for us at current levels of taxation 2) a technocratic government rather than a political one. Coalition might well be far better for us in the long run… party politics is all rhetoric and not enough pragmatism for the situation we’re in…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

….any government you elect will have to do these things – cut welfare, privatise more stuff, give tax breaks to rich people and decrease the amount of protection employees get – that all the major parties have signed up to this mantra is a real concern, that people generally are going along with it is even worse.

It’s the power of marketing.

And going along with what you’ve been told is far easier and requires much less effort than challenging it. Specially when there’s something vaguely entertaining to watch on the telly.

kimbers

The Greens would get my vote if it wasnt for their ludicrous science policy

fair enough they dont understand the need for animal testing, everyone loves fluffy animals?!?

but their stance on embryonic stem cells
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2009/jun/01/european-elections-science-stem-cells-gm?guni=Article:in%20body%20link

their confusion over nuclear power

and ultimately their dogmatic rejection and ignorance over GM crops

means an otherwise worthy party are best kept on the fringes IMHO

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

So are you voting Labour because you like their “science policy” ?

dragon
    Free Member

The problem with the Greens is their policies were salvaged from the old school Labour bin. A government wielding big stick approach to saving the environment isn’t going to work, the incentivised, competitive version of capitalism might, but the Greens for some reason can’t see that. It’s also pretty clear that a lot of ‘Green’ policies are doing more harm than good.

kimbers

as a scientist its important to me, and I was very impressed with the achievements under nulab, eg human genome, ITER investment etc

ninfan
    Free Member

I don’t know what UKIP policies are.

Really?

I thought they had one fairly substantive policy that they had clearly and repeatedly stated was their primary aim!

Beyond that, perhaps everything else is bullshit, but it still leaves them with one overriding and heartfelt, genuine policy that people can get behind, and thats one more than any of the other parties that they are campaigning against…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah Z-11 “policies” is plural. Everyone knows one UKIP policy.

I don’t know what UKIP policies are and neither do you.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

binners, with soundbites like these

looks like he’s got more pressing concerns than sourcing fairtrdade humous in Islington

I wouldn’t trust him to run a bath

you could go into politics.

Hippies don’t do science, they do crystals and ley lines.

<runs>

ninfan
    Free Member

Everyone knows one UKIP policy.

Precisely

Beyond that, do the others matter?

Clearly not to a fairly significant proportion of the population

aracer
    Free Member

The trouble for the Tories is that some of those they would have considered to be rabid diehards have become swing voters who they have to appeal to – it does them no good if they win floating voters from Labour by moving to the left* if that results in them losing floating voters from the other side. If the Greens were to become a real force I imagine Labour might have to deal with the same issue.

*not that I’m sure whether Labour is actually to the left of the Tories or whether such a continuum is a useful description of politics nowadays.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

do the others matter?

Obviously I’m not expressing myself very clearly – I thought I had been making the point over several posts that the electorate aren’t interested in policies. So in answer to that question is ‘apparently no’.

And if you are suggesting that people are rushing to vote UKIP because of their anti-EU stand then that doesn’t explain why the highest vote they have received in their 20 years of existence was in last year’s local/shire elections.

Nor does it explain why there should be a sudden a surge of anti-EU feelings within the electorate.

The sudden increase in support for UKIP appears to have very little to do with the EU.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The sudden increase in support for UKIP appears to have very little to do with the EU.

Not sure I would agree with that? The anti-Eu sentiment is a common theme across Europe. UKIP have tapped into that (in terms of policy) and anti-political establishment (in terms of sentiment) rather successfully. So not exclusively EU but without that they are a little lost.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not sure I would agree with that?

Well there’s no point asking me – do you or don’t you ?

bokonon
    Free Member

fair enough they dont understand the need for animal testing, everyone loves fluffy animals?!?

This is an area where I disagree with party policy, I don’t support an immediate ban on animal testing, and wouldn’t want to lose it asa technique to use where appropriate – I don’t think the current government/previous governments have got it right either, there seems to be a massive focus on it as a technique when it’s not always that useful.

This is from 2009 – this is a long time in Green Party policy making (where policies can be revised at two opportunities every year) and much of the policy which informed that article is no longer party policy – that is the nature of a democratic decision making process – people who are informed about science, and are willing to sit down and put forward informed and useful policies.

The current policy on Stem Cells and research is:

“The Green Party acknowledges the existing and potential future benefits to humans and other animals from stem cell technologies, using both adult and embryonic cellular material. These benefits include direct medical advances, improved non-animal testing methods for new medical treatments, and the advancement of knowledge. However, we also emphasize the importance of continuing ethical regulation, adequate government funding, and transparency of research in the areas of embryonic and adult stem cell technologies, to protect donors and the public health.”

Which is a hell of a lot clearer than the policy of the Labour party, or any other party, who only have a vague mumble.

HE 324 from here: http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/he.html

their confusion over nuclear power

There is no confusion over nuclear power, The Green Party is opposed to it – and it’s a sensible position to take. Whilst other parties would not invest heavily enough in renewables to ensure that no nuclear meant more fossil fuels, the Green Party would invest enough in renewables to ensure that no nuclear did not require greater fossil fuel usage. I agree that other parties have to support investment (however you drew it up) in new nuclear, but that’s simply because they are not willing to invest in other sources of power, not because there is a predetermined course along which they must go.

and ultimately their dogmatic rejection and ignorance over GM crops

I agree, the policy on GM isn’t right, and needs sorting. I think the underlying problem with GM is not the science, it’s the politics – which is pretty well covered in Green Party policies:

“ST362 Control of research and the use of genetic engineering by a few multinational companies threatens the autonomy of farmers and health services and makes profit an underlying motive for the use of GMOs.”

The problem is not GM per se, but the fact that GM is currently being pursued to close down the autonomy of farmers and ensure a greater level of control by a smaller and smaller number of massive companies – that’s not healthy for anyone.

http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/st.html

means an otherwise worthy party are best kept on the fringes IMHO

Given that your impression of what Green Party policies are is, as far as I can tell, quite different to what they actually are, I’m not sure if your judgement is that great – particularly given that they are published online for all to see. As a scientist, I would expect you to base your decision on the best available evidence of what the policies are – rather than relying on old data.

The problem with the Greens is their policies were salvaged from the old school Labour bin.
    A government wielding big stick approach to saving the environment isn’t going to work,

I don’t think that’s true, and I’m interested in which policies you think best characterise that – http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/ The Green Party has more young members than most parties, and a large number of active members are not old enough to remember old Labour, I’m older than the author of the most recent Euro Elections Manifesto, and I wasn’t old enough to vote out the last Tory government Nu Labour is the only Labour i’ve ever known.

The Greens are, by a long way, the most libertarian party currently operating in British politics – basically every single other political party is deeply authoritarian by comparison – the Green approach is broadly one of genuine decentralisation – unlike the current government who dress up moving more power to whitehall as local control – like Free Schools and Academies.

the incentivised, competitive version of capitalism might, but the Greens for some reason can’t see that.

I’m not sure what you mean by that – i’m happy to be a died in the wool anti-capitalist, so generally I disagree that capitalism can do anything useful for the environment – more competition means more growth, which means a greater degree of exploitation of the worlds resources – which is how we got into this mess in the first place – but i’m interested in hearing the arguments.

It’s also pretty clear that a lot of ‘Green’ policies are doing more harm than good.

This is interesting this – The ‘Green’ Party have to take the wrap for the ‘green’ policies of other parties – even if they are not what we would support or implement…I think there are some so called ‘green’ initiatives which are total crap, and are greenwashing for the sake of appearance, there are some ‘green’ policies which are excellent – I’m keen on the recent experiment in Paris with free public transport, for example…neither of them are Green Party policies, but both of them are ‘green’ policies.

jambalaya
    Free Member

ABSOLUTELY NOT

Excuse the capitals but this is a naive and optimistic view. UKIP is drawing votes from accross the spectrum. If it where true that UKIP supporters where coming purely from the Tories the Tories would be polling around 5-10% which they are most clearly not. In France the National Front (sort of a watered down BNP) has won a lot of votes from the extreme left. The realty is that those in low paid work have the most to fear from immigration as it’s those new immigrants which undercut their wages and take their jobs.

If Labour supporters are sitting back and ignoring UKIP on the basis that it’s the Tories who will suffer they are playing a very dangerous game

jambalaya
    Free Member

One of the reasons why the economy experienced difficulties is because instead of building a surplus during the boom/growth period they chose instead to implement vote winning tax cuts.

@ernie
    domestic tax policy made no difference. We could have had high/medium/low taxes and we would still have had a significant recession, the crises was the result of a spectacular obsession with borrowing money

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m talking about the deficit not the recession, hence my reference to “a surplus”. All recessions cause a deficit, one of the ways of minimising the effects of this is by building up a surplus during the good times/periods of growth.

New Labour chose not to do this because apparently there would be “no more boom and busts” and chose instead to follow the neoliberal and populist agenda of tax cuts.

No one, including the Tories, objected at the time, although later when things went tits up those same people castigated New Labour for not “fixing the roof while the sun was shining”.

There are no fundamental differences between the economic policies of the Tories and New Labour. Anyone who suggests otherwise is either in denial or being disingenuous.

If you want different policies then vote differently.

aracer
    Free Member

Sounds confused to me, given that however heavily you invest in renewables, they’re not going to provide sufficient base load (see http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/storing-renewable-energy for discussion of storage to try and help with that) in the medium term (within the timescale new nuclear will come online) to avoid increased fossil fuel usage. To imagine otherwise is wishful thinking. Hence why some Green party supporters who have a sense of reality have changed their stance.

I wish I could support the Green party as I like a lot of what they stand for (and the Green party councillors etc. I’ve come into contact with seem to be very intelligent and sensible people).

project
    Free Member

Probably only people suffering from an un diagnosed mental illness will vote con dem, and thats becase they cant see a gp due to the cuts.

Vote ukip or labour and show this curent gang of posh boys you have a voice and a wish to show them they have no idea how to run a country, let alone a political party of any standing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Probably only people suffering from an un diagnosed mental illness will vote con dem, and thats becase they cant see a gp due to the cuts.

You really are rather unpleasant, aren’t you? Or is joking about mental illness funny for you? Or is it the chip on your shoulder making you unbalanced?

kimbers

im not sure that public school educated millionaires farige or milliband represent much of a departure from the posh boys, project

project
    Free Member

im not sure that public school educated millionaires farige or milliband represent much of a departure from the posh boys, project

Vote ukip as a protest vote, and vote labour for real change, milliband is like hague,blair and major, just talking heads, easily shoved aside when the time comes, you need to vote for the party and its principoles not the talking head.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Vote ukip or labour ……

Vote UKIP for cuts in the NHS ?

Nigel Farage: ‘The Tories have failed; only Ukip dares cut spending on NHS and pensions’

…he hopes to cause maximum agony to David Cameron, by pressing the Tories harder on deficit reduction and spending cuts

His focus will be on spending cuts.

Mr Farage intends to “outline the absolute necessity to cut government spending”

Mr Farage will strike out in favour of cuts to the NHS, pensions, and all the other protected areas of public spending.[/b]

Don’t like Tory austerity measures ? ….then vote UKIP and support them in their attempt to take us back to the 19th century.

chewkw
    Free Member

OP,

I hope they don’t let Labour in for at least 3 terms as they already had their fill.

😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are no fundamental differences between the economic policies of the Tories and New Labour. Anyone who suggests otherwise is either in denial or being disingenuous.

I didn’t say their policies where the same what I said was whoever was in government and whatever their tax policies where we would have had a recession / crises.

bokonon
    Free Member

To imagine otherwise is wishful thinking. Hence why some Green party supporters who have a sense of reality have changed their stance.

I wish I could support the Green party as I like a lot of what they stand for (and the Green party councillors etc. I’ve come into contact with seem to be very intelligent and sensible people).

Energy is by far and away not my area – however, the full policy is currently being revised in quite some depth, I can send over a copy along with the background paper if you like – it’s to be voted on in September.

The basic idea is a decrease in electricity use by increased efficiency by a third in order to decrease the base loading, then phase out Nuclear and fossil fuel.

jambalaya
    Free Member

In today’s Guardian, UKIP is splitting the Labour vote

UKIP divides the Left

binners

I read that as the people who voted for Blair because they correctly identified him as being a better Tory than the Tory party was at the time, are now going to vote for a different party that looks better at being Tory than the present lot of Tories

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Excuse the capitals but this is a naive and optimistic view. UKIP is drawing votes from accross the spectrum. If it where true that UKIP supporters where coming purely from the Tories the Tories would be polling around 5-10% which they are most clearly not. In France the National Front (sort of a watered down BNP) has won a lot of votes from the extreme left. The realty is that those in low paid work have the most to fear from immigration as it’s those new immigrants which undercut their wages and take their jobs.

If Labour supporters are sitting back and ignoring UKIP on the basis that it’s the Tories who will suffer they are playing a very dangerous game

This ^^^

UKIP are giving Labour voters who would never ever vote Con a potential way of ‘protesting’ against any perceived immigration / EU stance that they actually agree with.

The danger for Labour is that the ex-Con UKIP voters go back to Cons for a General Election (as they recognise UKIP won’t win any election/seats), but stick with UKIP instead of going back to Labour.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

In today’s Guardian, UKIP is splitting the Labour vote

UKIP divides the Left

I read the article up to this point “In 2010 Labour was at a low ebb” and decided to stop there and not waste my time any further.

2009 was when the Labour Party suffered its worst post-war election result. By 2010 Labour had staged a remarkable recovery and it is for this very reason that the Tories failed to win the 2010 general election and were forced into coalition with the LibDems.

The Labour “low ebb” was in 2009 not 2010 otherwise we would have a Tory majority government today. If the authors of the article fail to understand this simple analytical fact then they clearly have little creditability. Well as far as I’m concerned anyway.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Borrowing skills?

jambalaya
    Free Member

The rationale I have had explained to me for what is happening in France (far right taking votes from far left) is that the far left say they will protect your job with a strong union (and generally national protectionism) whilst the far right say they will protect your job by keeping the foreigners out (and national protectionism). Its quite clear many people in France feel their employment is threatened by immigrants undercutting their wages/employment prospects despite the country having strong unions and a relatively high minimum wage, hence someone swings from far left to far right.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This is from a blog somewhere so not claiming accuracy or lack of bias but…

The amazing thing about UKIP supporters is that so many of them are left-wing, yet they support a party that is significantly more right-wing than the Tories. A recent YouGov poll showed that the average UKIP supporter is significantly more left-wing than the average Lib-Dem or Tory voter and almost as left-wing as the average Labour supporter.

It’s also worth noting this small coincidence

From a slightly more removed perspective now I’m down here in Oz…
    We have a very right wing government (right wing enough to make some of it’s own members a bit uncomfortable) a center left with some very left bits and a bunch of independants. The greens hold a decent balance of power due to an ability to provide and promote a balanced view on most things and have a full manifesto. It’s interesting to hear the UK greens have the same but still seem to struggle to get the message out. One of the hardest things for a party like that is to stop being known as the “NO!” party objecting to everything and move into a more real world space. Minority parties need to get a foot hold in the process to start and effect change, you can’t get it all on day 1, it will be a long time before anyone elects a majority green government for instance. It will be interesting to see how the Lib Dems play their success’s at the next election, like the minority green part of the governments down here they could be seen as part of the problem and marginalised at the next election.

The final point about European elections is that once you understand it’s not going to go away and learn to embrace it, it makes more sense to elect people to represent you and do a good job over in Brussels rather than a bunch of crack pots and idiots who want to tear the whole thing down. When Farage whines on about the EU doing all these things remember he is part of it and did nothing constructive to help the UK.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Will UKIP really split the tory vote and let Labour in?’ is closed to new replies.