Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • will this work?
  • StuF

Off to the alps in the summer, only 1 bike allowed so the road bike is coming with me but I’m tempted to try lowering the gearing from the current 34-28 to 34-30 to give me a better bail out gear.

Could I take a 30 off my tiagra 10 spd cassette and add it to my 105 11 spd 11-28 cassette (removing 1 of the smaller sprockets)?

Will the 11spd chain go on the 10spd sprocket or will it just jump around horribly?

I thought I’d ask on here before spending time trying it.

Thanks all

amedias
    Free Member

34-28 to 34-30

that’s such a small difference it will barely be worth making

Could I take a 30 off my tiagra 10 spd cassette and add it to my 105 11 spd 11-28 cassette (removing 1 of the smaller sprockets)?

possibly, if you take the single 30t cog off your Tiagra, if you lose the 11 you’ll need a different lockring, if you lose something else you’ll have an annoying jump, also see above, probably not worth it

Will the 11spd chain go on the 10spd sprocket or will it just jump around horribly?

Will probably work, for a given value of ‘work’ but again, see above.

Basically it’s an awful lot of bodgefaffery for minimal if any gain.
    Whack a 11-32 (or bigger) cassette on, or man up. Where do you normally ride? Road climbs in the Alps aren’t normally steep, just long….

simondbarnes

No. The top 4 or so cogs on the cassette are attached together, not separate.

amedias
    Free Member

No. The top 4 or so cogs on the cassette are attached together, not separate.

Not on any of the Tiagra* cassettes I’ve seen, they’ll all individual cogs and riveted though, grind/pop the rivet and they come apart.

*HG50/4600 and earlier, might be different on the new 4700 but I don’t think so…

StuF

Sounds like a dose of mtfu to save a lot of bodging. 🙂

Usually ride around south east peaks / belper so more used to the short steep stuff.

Bez

You’ll be fine. If it all gets too much the worst case scenario is you just sit and enjoy the view for a few minutes.

simondbarnes

Not on any of the Tiagra* cassettes I’ve seen, they’ll all individual cogs and riveted though, grind/pop the rivet and they come apart.

So joined together then 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

Ah! I thought you meant like 105+ on an Alu carrier where you can’t separate them, but yes I see what you mean, they are joined, but not like the posher ones.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘will this work?’ is closed to new replies.