Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Will this North Korea thing kick off?
  • Pook

Newsnight seemed a bit doom laden just then. Up until now I’ve taken it all as hot air.

yunki
    Free Member

I read it as the whole thing is just a smokescreen to get some new UK military policy through..

Did we not pay kim jong un all of our redundant stocks of printed jazz mags to say a load of stuff that makes Korea look scary, thus preparing our hearts and minds for some sort of ongoing arms trade with the US that will net CMD’s bosses billions of tax free moola..?

Or was that me reading between the bits between the lines..?
    Either that or we could be facing the prospect of this cold snap ending rather abruptly and dramatically, with searing winds from the far east.. and err.. west

BigJohn

It’s all like a massive chess game.

Korea moves big rocket to East coast, US moves big rocket to Guam. etc.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

If you need to ask on here then are you really interested in knowing?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Korea moves big rocket to East coast, US moves big rocket to Guam. etc.

Interestingly both sides announce very publicly what they are about to do. Which you have to admit is quite considerate – it at least gives the other side a chance to work out what to do next.

Bez

Newsnight’s *always* doom-laden. It’s like the front page of the Independent, but with people arguing about it.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

That’ll be Trident safe then.

nick1962
    Free Member

So Kim Jong-un says North Korea is at war with the west.He brainwashes,starves and brutalises his own people. They have tested nuclear devices and have intercontinental ballistic missiles to fire them across the world. They also have chemical and biological weapons and a mahoosive army.
    Tony Blair where are you?

wallop

What I want to know is – who is selling them all this shit?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Im sure no one has the minerals to start a nuke off

andrewh
    Free Member

Hope so Roger. It may be unpopular on here but I’m all in favour of keeping/replacing it (maybe with fewer warheads, but more submarines) I for one do not want to live in a world where NK have bomb, and are working on missiles, and Iran are trying to get, if we don’t.
    I know neither pose a direct threat to us now, but in 20yrs time? Who knows.
    We could meet our obligations under the NPT by replacing it with a system with fewer warheads, we don’t need enough to destroy the planet six times over, just a few would suffice.
    As for cost, £25bn. The national debt is well passed £1tn, £25bn would be a drop in the ocean.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was hoping so, what with no world cup or euros, no olympics July/August looks fairly quiet.

It all looks like posturing and the like but then again nobody quite knows how much of a nutter he really is (or those below him) In the end it would be good if they launched everything and it just fell over on take off.

yunki
    Free Member

Tony Blair where are you?

Blair may have cited all that kind of stuff as justification for the War on Iraq..

But it is obvious to all that he was really only interested in that belligerent moustache..
    Kim Jong Un’s baby soft skin poses no threat to UK masculinity

bwaarp
    Free Member

10 quid says it goes hot completely unintentionally

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I for one do not want to live in a world where NK have bomb

Funnily enough that is exactly the same argument that the North Koreans use, ie, the Americans won’t attack us as long as we have nuclear weapons.

Perhaps a few more countries can be won over by that compelling argument ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

an interesting documentary about the bomb…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gXY3kuDvSU[/video]

andrewh
    Free Member

That’s the problem Ernie. Once one counrty have it, everyone else wants it.
    Can we say no to them from a position on the moral high ground? No.
    Should we deny them the right to have it in our own self-interest? Yes.
    if we can’t uninvent it we can at least attempt to contain it to those who already have it. If we gave ours up would NK and Iran stop trying to make one? Unlikely, so we should keep ours. It’s a practical arguement, not a moral one.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As a signatory to the non proliferation treaty the UK has an obligation to pursue in good faith and bring to a conclusion negotiations leading to nuclear disarmament in all its aspects under strict and effective international control. (Article VI)

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

As a signatory to the non proliferation treaty the UK has an obligation to pursue in good faith and bring to a conclusion negotiations leading to nuclear disarmament in all its aspects under strict and effective international control. (Article VI)

Except international control gets ignored by tin pot dictators.
    But then I agree with scrapping Trident because it’s only ever going to come down to the big players anyway.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Except international control gets ignored by tin pot dictators.

Not just tin pot dictators. The US and UK have also ignored international treaty obligations

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I don’t have the time to argue with you Ernie, but yes to a point, but I think you’ll find that ‘that point’ was being made by the USA & us (us = a term loosely used by those in the UK).

nick1962
    Free Member

Let’s face it practically every country ignores treaties and conventions when the national interest and/or national security are at stake or perceived to be.

aracer
    Free Member

Not just tin pot dictators. The US and UK have also ignored international treaty obligations

You’re right – we can’t afford a tin pot.

Pook

There are echoes of the build up to World War One here though; America and North Korea playing the roles of Britain and Germany in the build up. This ‘game of chess’ mirrors what was going on back then

hora
    Free Member

South Korea cares about its people, the North doesn’t.

So if anything was to happen it’d be the North firmly starting it.

The South would definitely win but the biggest loser would be the South.

It will happen. Really really **** sad this. The North has no capacity at all to topple or top off their own leader. Madness.

Klunk
    Free Member

There are echoes of the build up to World War One here though; America and North Korea playing the roles of Britain and Germany in the build up. This ‘game of chess’ mirrors what was going on back then

that’s stretching it a bit, a conflict between Austrian-Hungarian Empire and Serbia set in motion a series of events which lead into WWI due to pre established treaties…. Russia mobilized to protect Serbia, Germany counters to side with Austria, France has a treaty with Russia… Britain declares war because Germany invades neutral Belgium.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

I don’t think it will kick off they’re pretty isolated, neither China nor Russia will back them this go round, it’s just the boy wanting to appear tough in front of all the old guard military.

Pook

indeed klunk – but rewind from that a bit and you have Germany and Britain playing chess, building up bigger and bigger navies, moving stuff about and generally just spoiling for a fight. Franz Ferdinand being shot was simply the fuse being lit.

Klunk
    Free Member

Britain was never spoiling for a fight in WWI.

hora
    Free Member

In the Korean war the North was backed (and included alot of) Chinese soldiers.

This time round there wont be any. True- China doesn’t want a heap of shit on its own borders. It also NEEDS the west for business/prosperity this time round too.

Pook

Britain not spoiling for a fight? We were in an arms race with Germany trying to retain our role as an Imperial super-power. WWI proved we weren’t.

Yunki +1

patriotpro
    Free Member

I have ‘Nukeproof’ components on my bike, I’ll be fine.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The Fat Boy is acting like a spoiled brat. I guess he’s grown up within the elite: sheltered, pampered and ignorant of reality. He’s probably surrounded by minders and sycophants, and kept ignorant of the starvation etc that is the lot of the common people. As happened in Romania, realty may take over in a short and brutal purge, especially if the Chinese get worried.

We live in interesting times again.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’m sure that there are ‘reformist’ tendencies in the DPRK. If KJU goes too far I’d imagine they’d act rather than see themsleves brought down.

hora
    Free Member

Good point. I wonder how much teeth they really do have. Seeing the pics of the heavily decorated senior officers running alongside him they look a cross between decripid/old or really subservient.

Or could they be actors dressed up?

stewartc
    Free Member

It will be interesting to see if they fire off a rocket at random i.e. a test missile into the sea, just to see what transpires.
    I speak from behind the supposed safety of the PLA…….

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No doubt there will be a DPRK rocket test. There will be the usual condemnations, and after a while KJU will claim to have ‘deterred’ the US.

Pigface
    Free Member

Well last year tey killed something like 50 South Koreans in sinking a boat and shelling an island so they have form, it does seem a bit more serious this time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Will this North Korea thing kick off?’ is closed to new replies.