Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Will this be beyond the knowledge of STW?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

OK, seeing as this is the fountain of all knowledge, I thought I'd ask.

Does anybody know what the maximum distance between the telcos NTE and a PBX is for an ISDN30 (Q.Sig)? Also, what difference would using shielded CAT6 versus unshielded make?

I await amazement

Stoner
    Free Member

4'6" and lots of wahwah

mafu26
    Free Member

hmm i'll have a guess at the second one. you can run lots of shielded cables together without the risk of interference?

i have absolutely no idea what the jibberish in the first question is on about.

woody2000

Have you checked the IEEE site?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Pi

bigyinn
    Free Member

Depends how its presented to site. Copper, Fibre or even Radio.
    Bit more info about why you need to know would be useful. Is it for voice or data application, or even VoIP?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Actually,re-read your Q and my reply doesnt really help.
    I'll ask around. Less than 100ft I would have thought, but you may be able to do something through fibre optics.
    What sort of distance we talking here?

MrGrim

It depends on where the cable runs from and to, how it is terminated, how much interference is likely to be experienced on the run – will the cabling be bundled running above/below multiple rooms?

Because you are using Q.931, the quality of the link is really important. Q.931 doesn't re-transmit and there is no flow control.

Cat6 should be fine for 2-300 metres, but in my opinion you want to make it as short as possible.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Four medium sized free range eggs and 100g of good quality OO flour. Sorted.

scaredypants

if all you're doing is binding hands & feet, there'll be no problems at all

proper hog-tying needs something with a little less "give", I find

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I think you need to know how far the lol is from the BBQ, and see if it reports to the BBC properly. Don't forget to calculate the square root of WTF for complete accuracy. This is of course IMHO standard 5 on the ANC vs IRA scale.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Mr Grim speaks sense

Trouble is it's a new building in Luxembourg that I've never seen before. Our office space is on 2nd Floor and the NTE is in the 'basement' so lord only knows how long the run is. No doubt the run will be shared with 3 phase and all sorts of other nastiness! All I know is when I install my gateway out there, if I have any problems with the PRI everyone will assume it's my fault. Think I'll have to raise this as a risk in the morning!

Cletus

Hi,

Check out page 4 section 4-4 of the document at the link below:

http://www.btwebworld.com/sinet/232v5p1.pdf

The requirements for the cabling between the CPE and the NTTA are specified in prEN 50098-2. As an example, these requirements will be met using unscreened twisted pair (UTP) Class 5 cable of up to 200m in length.

So it looks like 200 Metres for Cat 5. If you want to know more you can purchase the full standard document at the link below:

http://shop.bsigroup.com/en/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000000863272

I have installed quite a few Cisco gateways in similar circumstances to what you describe and have not had any problems to date.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wesley Snipes

pk-ripper
    Free Member

and a bucket of sick.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Thanks Cletus – spot on!

*shuffles off to see if we have a copy of BS EN 50098-2

toby1

SO the answer is once again proven to be available on STW!!

ononeorange

Yes. With a crown race.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Mornington Crescent – I win

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Will this be beyond the knowledge of STW?’ is closed to new replies.