Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • will they relaunch the car scrapage scheme?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Only just started looking for a new small car and only casually. Does anyone know if the scheme is about to start up again anytime soon?

kimbers

i hope not

ridiculously wasteful and unenvironmentally friendly policy

since its ended 2nd hand car prices have gone back down again too

ddmonkey

I very much doubt it. A one off IMHO.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Shame. While I agree it was wateful, it would actually benefit me right now (possibly). Be nice if I actaully managed to gain from one of these inititaves at some point!

donsimon
    Free Member

From an economic point of view, I hope not. Never understood it myself.

tinsy
    Free Member

Kimbers, explain how it affected the 2nd hand car prices?

uplink
    Free Member

Because any car 'scappaged' had to be scrapped that reduced the number of available 2nd hand cars – short supply usually means higher prices

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

It hasn't affected the used car prices at all, in fairness quite the opposite. The cars that were scrapped had little or no value at all. The whole "Scrappage Scheme" was a complete nightmare from the start last year, totally mis-managed by the government, without talking to the manafacturers.
    What has resulted, is all the cheaper cars have been sold because the makers were not able to build cars in advance, which in turn has lead to massive lead times for new vehicles – currently 5 months for a new Polo, I know other manafacturers are in a similar situation with all their smaller cars.
    It was also an absolute Paperwork nightmare, plus all documentation has to be held onto for a further 7 years, during which any dealer can be audited.
    The cost was also hidden as the government only paid the dealers between £850 and £870 depending on the VAT rate, the rest came from the manafacturer and this will have been passed onto the dealer without a shadow of doubt.
    We definately don't want it to come back.

kimbers

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/6178246/Scrappage-scheme-second-hand-car-shortage-causes-prices-to-soar.html

and yes i was looking for a 2nd hand car late last year and noticed a jump in prices of cars of a certain age

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘will they relaunch the car scrapage scheme?’ is closed to new replies.