Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Will there be a Shimano Rival to XX1?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just looking at XX1 stuff and wondered if anyone had heard rumours of a Shimano equivalent or rival?

Seems to be that SRAM/Shimano usually offer direct competition to each others recent developments even if release time is not the same-e.g Shadow+ Vs Type 2 mechs, 10 Speed etc etc

So any work of Shimano 11 Speed? 12 Speed???

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Dura Ace is going 11spd, so it’ll be in the pipeline no doubt. Campag have had 11speed for a while. Alfined 11spd already if its just about gear ratios.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t think Shimano will do anything quite like it. They’ll go 11 speed, but I don’t think we’ll see the same design stuff, with the proprietary freehub body and that.

No fact behind it, just what I suspect.

The whole ‘you shouldn’t need a chain guide, unless you do’, isn’t very Shimano either, they’ll just do something more ‘safe’ that works perfectly for everyone.

Mackem

I think a winning idea would be to keep it 10 speed using existing hubs but have a wider spread of gears.

njee20
    Free Member

Or go 11 speed with existing hubs and a wider spread of gears. If it can be done, which I’m not totally sure about!

11 speed road freehubs are wider, but fit in the same dropouts. 11-42 cassette would be good, on a standard (ish) freehub body.

richard1972
    Free Member

I think 2×10 works so well and really can’t see what advantages 1×10 gives? I’ve used 1×10 in the past but always end up back on 2×10. I found the lower jockey wheel and chain would wear out very fast and for the small weight saving can’t really understand it.

Mackem

The advantage of 1×10 is that you dont have to put up with nasty horrible front mechs. It’s the range of gears that’s important to me. I run an Alfiine 8 btw but would be tempted by a 1 x 10 (or 1×9, 1×8 etc) if there was a wide range of gears.

richard1972
    Free Member

A well set up front mech is neither nasty or horrible, getting a wide range of gears is something 2X10 does very well for the average rider.

njee20
    Free Member

I think 2×10 works so well and really can’t see what advantages 1×10 gives

Gives the gears I want and saves half a pound?

I liked 2×10, but found myself riding in the big ring 95% of the time, but often at the top of the block, smaller single ring, sorted.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d happily run an 11spd rear cassette with a smallest tooth of 11t, so it fits on a normal freehub.

The benefit to me comes at the other end of the cassette. If they can make that work, it would be a better way of doing it, rather than pissing around with groupset specific freehubs.

fathomer

Hob Nob – Member

I’d happily run an 11spd rear cassette with a smallest tooth of 11t, so it fits on a normal freehub.

The benefit to me comes at the other end of the cassette. If they can make that work, it would be a better way of doing it, rather than pissing around with groupset specific freehubs. I agree, I’d love to ditch the granny but haven’t got the legs to do so, so adding a bigger sprocket would be a big benefit I think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Will there be a Shimano Rival to XX1?’ is closed to new replies.