Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Will the Kindle Fire HD challenge the iPad?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Looks good for the £££

Kryton57

I use a kindle anyway, and must admit I’m very tempted.

footflaps

Possibly, but not for long. If you look at the iPods, Apple started out with top of the range models and then migrated into the whole market with cheaper and cheaper models.

Cletus

No,

7″ tablets are a different class of device imo. If they (or Google) release a 10″ version for say £220 then it would eat into Apple’s market

Kryton57

Although Cletus is rumoured that there’s a 7″ Ipad “mini” on the horizon…

nealglover
    Free Member

Probably not no.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

7 inch IPad will be unveiled in October if not September.

legend
    Free Member

Will the Kindle Fire HD challenge the iPad?

only if they put an apple shaped logo on the back

epo-aholic
    Free Member

very nice, it will be popular but won’t affect iPad sales……rumour has it apple are bringing out a smaller 7″ iPad, they will need to get the price right as the competition is fierce.

trout
    Free Member

7 inch won’t get many older buyers eyes getting bad so need bigger .

andrewni
    Free Member

Just switched from a 7″ Samsung to an iPad sized iPad (don’t actually know what size it is??)

Found the Samsung wasn’t that much more portable, could just about get it into my back pocket without a case but had to remember to take it out before sitting down.

I’ve always been keen not to follow the herd so I’ve went for other brand mp3 players before getting an iPod, other brand phones before getting an iPhone and other brand tablets before getting an iPad – annoyingly apple just seem to do each in a more useable way (careful not to say better)

Good luck to amazon though I’m a reluctant apple fan at the minute…

grahamh
    Free Member

No doubt the apple lawyers are circling now..
    It’s rectangular with rounded corners.

Stoner
    Free Member
    jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Or maybe challenge the iPod Touch?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The Kindle Fire will bang heads with the Nexus, but Ipads are bought by folk who buy Apple because it has a fruit on it.

They don’t look any further than the brand; not even to see if the device is of use to them.

z1ppy

nice repetition of the myth there cegg’s, where as if you read Andrewni’s post you find the real answer.
    Try coming up with something original instead of touting the same old untrue crap

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as with everything one size doesn’t fit all. The I-pad is not for everyone, for all who want a 10″ tablet there a loads who don’t. The market is now producing tablets in all shapes and sizes just like people.

For those who don’t want an i-pad for a long list of reasons already listed on here and for those who are not fanbois there is now choice at a sensible price.

One hardware exec hit the nail on the head with the $200 price point – it’s cheap enough that the missus isn’t going to kill you. IE it becomes a spur of the moment have a go type of purchase.

In general most of the stuff I would use one for doesn’t need a super hi def screen and that crap. It needs to be functional portable and not cost a stupid amount of money.

Google Nexus/Amazon Kindle Fire/Samsung Note/galaxy etc are all hitting better price points and have appeal to people.

_tom_
    Free Member

Very interested in this! I’m after a good but cheap tablet I can take to work and read books/browse internet/watch tv stuff on in downtime and breaks. HDMI out makes it a bit more useful for a “portable media centre” type thing as well..

jam-bo

They don’t look any further than the brand; not even to see if the device is of use to them.

So imagine the pleasure when they open the box and realise they’ve bought the best device in the market. Double bubble….

shifter
    Free Member

I think they’ll sell like hot cakes. There’s millions of people who would buy & use something like this but not at £400+. The price of the Fire is perfect.

breadcrumb

but Ipads are bought by folk who buy Apple because it has a fruit on it.

I don’t like the way folk bang on about how great Apple are, but I was bought an iPod a few years ago and when I try some other brands now they just seem clunky.

A few months ago we went into Currys to get a Samsung Galaxy 10.1, after having a play on it we wandered over to the iPads. Walked out with a iPad 2.

I dislike how they control the market, but they do make slick devices IMO.

stuey
    Free Member

breadcrumb – iirc a lot of their slickness is due to them patenting ‘simple non-original ideas’ – eg scroll wheel on ipods; rectangles with round corners; point to choose(?)

GrahamS

breadcrumb – iirc a lot of their slickness is due to them patenting ‘simple non-original ideas’ – eg scroll wheel on ipods; rectangles with round corners; point to choose(?)

Erm no, not really. ALL technology companies have rafts of patents just like that. Standard industry practise.

The slickness is mainly down to good design and keeping things locked down enough that they can make sure things “just work” and are consistent.

Kryton57

But are Apple falling into the same trap they fell into with the original Macintosh vs IBM’s PC? That is, making a “superior” device thats ignoring the marketability of selling it to “everyone”?

In those days is was software/format/price but this argument is more about price. Vis a Vis the price of the new ipad vs devices such as Kindle Fire HD may mean we don’t by the ipad.

Personally, I’m having the same argument with myself over a free phone upgrade – the iphone 4s and the S3 are free for me, but they are £36 or £26 per month respectively…… I’d like a 4S but i an extra £240 over the life of the contract.

zilog6128

I don’t like the way folk bang on about how great Apple are, but I was bought an iPod a few years ago and when I try some other brands now they just seem clunky.

Yes, it is a bit annoying when people steer you in the direction of a quality product. it would be much better if people kept their mouths shut so you could waste your money on something that turned out to be shit instead!

A few months ago we went into Currys to get a Samsung Galaxy 10.1, after having a play on it we wandered over to the iPads. Walked out with a iPad 2.

So you have a moral objection to Apple yet you buy their product anyway? Bit odd.

z1ppy

But are Apple falling into the same trap they fell into with the original Macintosh vs IBM’s PC? That is, making a “superior” device thats ignoring the marketability of selling it to “everyone”?

Please tell me what device is available for significantly less money that is a valid alternative to the ipad 3? (ok the phone market is NOW a different matter)

In those days is was software/format/price but this argument is more about price. Vis a Vis the price of the new ipad vs devices such as Kindle Fire HD may mean we don’t by the ipad.

The kindle fire is not an ipad alternative. If apple do bring out the rumored mini-ipad then the pricing of it vs the kindle and (brilliant) nexus 7 can be asked.

aP
    Free Member

The mini iPad is definitely coming, someone I know is already working on designing add-ons for it.
    The new kindle is obviously going to sell well, but it loses one of the main advantages of the kindle of huge battery life.

breadcrumb

Yes, it is a bit annoying when people steer you in the direction of a quality product. it would be much better if people kept their mouths shut so you could waste your money on something that turned out to be shit instead!

What I meant was the blinkered people that don’t even try other brands.

So you have a moral objection to Apple yet you buy their product anyway? Bit odd.

I wouldn’t go so far to say a moral objection.

My OH wanted to upgrade to an iPhone, but the increase in tarrif cost was a joke, so no sale.

But yes I can be a bit odd.

CountZero

From a review on ZDNet:

From a hardware, price, and services point of view, there’s a lot to like about the Kindle Fire HD. But there are some things that anyone thinking about buying one — especially if they don’t already own a first-generation Kindle Fire — need to know.

First up is the fact that the Kindle Fire HD is a vehicle for delivering you ads. Yes, that’s right. Every Kindle Fire HD that Amazon sells is ad-supported, those ads being displayed on the lock screen when the device is not in use, and in the corner of the home screen. If you’re comfortable with such things, fine; but if you’re not then this might be a black mark against the entire lineup.

Another downside is Amazon’s app ecosystem. While it certainly can’t be described as a bad, it’s not going to offer the same variety as Google’s Play store does, and new apps may take longer to become available from Amazon’s store. If you like to have the latest “must have” Android app as soon as possible, then an Amazon tablet might not be the Android device for you.

If you already own an Android or iOS device, then you should be clear about the fact that everything you’ve bought — apps, content and so on — can’t be migrated to the new platform. If the stuff you’ve bought is disposable then this won’t matter, but if you have apps or content that you turn to regularly, switching platforms will mean buying your stuff again.

It’s also worth noting that in order to make use of the 5GHz Wi-Fi, your router will need to support the 802.11n standard. If you’ve bought a new Wi-Fi router in the last couple of years then chances are good that you’re good to go; otherwise, you’re not going to get the full benefit of the technology packed into Amazon’s new tablet.

There’s no doubt that Amazon’s Kindle Fire HD family is great hardware, packaged and put together at a very competitive price. The introduction of these new tablets is going to be hugely disruptive to the Android ecosystem, and quite possibly put a speed-bump in front of the iPad. But as with most things, it’s not a one-size-fits-all tablet.

Stoner
    Free Member

surely most of us in here considering the fire as opposed to the nexus would be planning on rooting it as soon as we get it anyway?

Kryton57

z1ppy – Member

Please tell me what device is available for significantly less money that is a valid alternative to the ipad 3? (ok the phone market is NOW a different matter)

The kindle fire is not an ipad alternative. If apple do bring out the rumored mini-ipad then the pricing of it vs the kindle and (brilliant) nexus 7 can be asked.

I’m not suggesting you’ve said anything wrong z1ppy, but it depends what you use it for. I’d guess most people don’t use an ipad to full capacity regarding its capabilities. I use my iphone (and would appreciate a bigger device) for a Phone, Facebook, Bike forums, gmail and the weather report and the odd “mid comfort break” game. Plus I carry a kindle for reading. I’d like to add video calling to talk to the family when I’m away fork work.

I could do all that on a Kindle HD, apart from the phone obviously, for a feww hundred quid less than an ipad.

I would point out I am an apple fan – i’d love to have an Iphone 5 and his and her’s ipads tbh.

Cougar

First up is the fact that the Kindle Fire HD is a vehicle for delivering you ads.

If past history is anything to go by, that’ll be US-only.

allthepies
    Free Member

Kindle Fire HD is available for UK preorder now. Or do you mean the ads part ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-fire-HD-tablet/dp/B0083PWAWU

Kryton57

I just looked through allthepies link. It connects to MS exchange also meaning just one device with work email too. Thats pretty much decided for me, I can cancel my out of contract phone subscription, buy one of the these and use the work Crackberry for personal calls (i don’t make many).

Excellent.

Kryton57

Ah, there it is:

“What are Special Offers?
    Special Offers are advertisements displayed on the lock screen of Kindle Fire. By delivering these advertisements, we are able to offer Kindle Fire models with special offers at a lower price.”

CountZero

I’m not suggesting you’ve said anything wrong z1ppy, but it depends what you use it for. I’d guess most people don’t use an ipad to full capacity regarding its capabilities. I use my iphone (and would appreciate a bigger device) for a Phone, Facebook, Bike forums, gmail and the weather report and the odd “mid comfort break” game. Plus I carry a kindle for reading. I’d like to add video calling to talk to the family when I’m away fork work.

I could do all that on a Kindle HD, apart from the phone obviously, for a feww hundred quid less than an ipad.

I’d like to see you put the entire UK OS 1:50k maps on it, which I was using both this afternoon and just a few minutes ago, plus I take all my photos off my camera straight onto the pad via the camera kit, which then shows them on my phone and computer via Photostream.
    I don’t doubt the Kindle Fire is a good machine, but it’s entirely about consumption from Amazon.
    The Pad is creative, despite more than a few who’ve swallowed whole the myth that the Pad is only capable of consumption.
    My mate Luke, and his mates, who are all musicians, would laugh loudly in the face of anyone suggesting that, they use iPads extensively for recording music.

Kryton57

My point countzero, which you missed is that for what it is that I want to do, its fine. I don’t need an ipad, and therefore a cheaper alternative has become available to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My point countzero, which you missed is that for what it is that I want to do, its fine. I don’t need an ipad, and therefore a cheaper alternative has become available to me.

No No No

All people are the same, Apple has checked we all need a Ipad sized tablet and the only sensible screen size is the Iphone.

thats it they CHECKED!

Anyway it may not rival the Ipad in the whatever size hi def artsy machine stakes but in the majority look at website, check mail do facebook area it’s going to be right up there.

Still not going to get me anywhere near a tablet have PC’s laptops and a nice big Galaxy S3. When I go away with work I take the laptop as there is no way I can do my work on a tablet.

If the next google Nexus has SD and a sim I may consider it but not yet

CountZero

a nice big Galaxy S3.

There you go, you’ve got a small tablet already. From what I’ve seen of the S III it’s too big to be a practical phone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    a nice big Galaxy S3.
    There you go, you’ve got a small tablet already. From what I’ve seen of the S III it’s too big to be a practical phone.

Cheers count I’ll take it back, glad to know there are people who know better than me what I need.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Will the Kindle Fire HD challenge the iPad?’ is closed to new replies.