• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Jase.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Will the Garmin plastic HRM solve my HR issues?
  • Jase
    Free Member

Getting fed up with the erratic readings that my Garmin (premium version) is giving.

Have fitted new battery and washed etc.

Before I just buy a Polar watch is it worth trying the older style plastic Garmin strap that is more akin to the Polar ones, which I’ve found very good in the past?

Ta.

mintimperial

Yes, very probably. I had the same issue with the fancy premium one, readings all over the shop when doing over 20mph or so. The old bog-standard one has been rock solid since I got it. Not uncomfortable at all, either.

Jase
    Free Member

Just what I wanted to hear, cheers.

rickmeister

Is this the same as the one that comes with an Edge 800 ? If so… I have one I will never use if your interested. Still in the wrapper… as is the cadence thingy.

stevious

Rickmeister – I’d be interested in the cadence thingy if you have it going spare…

eyerideit
    Free Member

Balls! beaten to it, I’ll wait second inline for the cadence sensor if stevious doesn’t have it.

That’s if you’re selling it that is.

Sorry for the Hijack 😳

Jase
    Free Member

I’d imagine the one with the 800 is the premium one I have.

Jase
    Free Member

Just been told that the garmin one should clip in to the Polar soft strap so will look at that too.

leffeboy

Getting fed up with the erratic readings that my Garmin (premium version) is giving.

I only have the basic version which works well so can’t comment from experience, but if you read the amazon reviews of the premium version it is indeed complete pants and you are much better with the cheap version. The newer version of the basic model also seems more comfortable than the original that came with my Edge gps

CraigW
    Free Member

Just been told that the garmin one should clip in to the Polar soft strap so will look at that too.

See this page: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html
    It says you can fix the problems with the Garmin premium HRM by replacing it with he Polar strap.

FWIW I’ve only used the basic/plastic Garmin HRM and never had any problems with readings (apart from when the battery is running low).

Andy-W
    Free Member

Get in touch with Garmin like i did and they may just send you a new strap (thanks Garmin!!)

I also got one of these and it works fine with the Garmin HRM

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/polar-spare-elastic-strap-wearlink-plus/

rickmeister

Stevious, ygm… and I also have a couple of HRM sensors that came with lidl HRM watches… will these work with Garmin kit ?

Edit: cant see a mail address in your profile… can you pm me please….

Rick

Jase
    Free Member

Cheers, about to order the Polar strap and give that a go.

jota180
    Free Member

I use to have similar issues and I narrowed it down to layers of loose clothing causing some sort of interference.

richardk
    Free Member

The Garmin basic one works really well for me – much better than my Polar one.

stevious

Rick, ygm.

Jase
    Free Member

Have used the Polar one now for over a week and is much better, think I’ve had one instance of high reading due to jersey flap but I can live with that.

Thanks all.

njee20
    Free Member

I bought a new Garmin premium one last week and it’s different to the older one. Instead of having a popper closure it’s got a little loop thingy much further round, then the ‘sensor’ bit poppers to the front, but it’s a separate piece. I’d talk to Garmin, maybe they’d had problems.

MrGreedy

Yes, sounds like they’ve redesigned the premium strap recently – mine was bought a couple of months ago and is as Njee describes. So far it’s been just as reliable as the Polar I had previously.

Jase
    Free Member

Cheers, thats interesting to know.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Will the Garmin plastic HRM solve my HR issues?’ is closed to new replies.