Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Will that end in tears :=
  • juan
    Free Member

Well It's done I have my on-one track hubs build and the fixed cog in.
    However in my haste to try it I have the wheel with ONLY the fix cog, I am wondering how interesting the commute back home is going to be 😉
    Any tips I should be aware off?

fatboyjon

It's easy and you'll be fine. Remember – the safest way to stop at red lights is to sprint up to them, bunny hop as high as you can, lock your legs out in the air and pull up to a graceful stop.

slowrider
    Free Member

just stay on top of the gear, dont let it pull you along on the downs or slowing could be interesting. trackstanding is weird at first but way easier once you have a few goes at it. enjoy! (and dont try and dress like a messenger/ make your bike look like a messengers please!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IanMunro
    Free Member

Best thing to do is relax and completely forget about it.

brakeswithface

Trying to coast round corners is worth trying as well ;o)

juan
    Free Member

ok btw how do I do skids 😉

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

holy sh*t I think there may be an accident on the road tonight!!!!

juan
    Free Member

not tonight but tomorrow is another day

juan
    Free Member

Sp now a few questions
    How do you **** trackstand?
    And is there a technique to start and stop without looking like a duffer.
    Expect all that I quite like it, seems to be easier to pedal with to be honest

sc-xc

You soon get used to it. I find I can only go into a skid by pushing back on my right leg, experiment on a safe bit of road before trying it in traffic.

I have learned over the years to read the road a lot further ahead – try and modulate your speed so it's not all sop/start.

Corners and going past cars in tight spoys takes some getting used to – you can't time the pedal strokes.

Prepare for huge calves!

Stoner
    Free Member

Trackstand – turn the wheel 30degs to one side, rock back and forth on the pedals to balance.*

I think its the nature of fixed and it forcing you to ride with "la souplesse" http://www.londonfgss.com/thread14084.html

As you get better at it your riding style improves and your become more efficient, biomechanically.

* BTW I dont know why Im giving advice. I cant f***ing do it! 😉

sc-xc

and how to start….everytime i stop for longer than I can trackstand for…I lift the back wheel and spin the cranks round. It soon becomes second nature.

Stoner
    Free Member

what used to get me was trying to remember not to do that short freewheel when you've blown your lungs to get to the top of a sharp hill 🙂

I lock the front brake and push the bike onto the front wheel so that I can reset the pedal stroke to start off.

sc-xc

^ I find the downhills more interesting. I only forgot to pedal once! 😯

juan
    Free Member

Ok I'll try the rocking but I do find it to be very very odd to be honest, more than trackstanding with a free wheel.

Mind you fixed seems to be a lot easier to pedal, or it's a placebo

Stoner
    Free Member

Mind you fixed seems to be a lot easier to pedal, or it's a placebo

Its a psychological – since not pedalling is not an option, you've had to convince yourself you like to do it all the time now 🙂

juan
    Free Member

LOL yes but going up the hill this morning and coming back from work on tuesay eve seems to be easier than usual.

Another question now that I have the STWW Fixed bangwagon attention, how tight should the chain be as this morning I managed to have it fell out of the bike.

Stoner
    Free Member

it should be tighter than how you have it then.

I like it as tight that I cant deflect the chain vertically more than 1cm at the middle of the chainstay.

juan
    Free Member

Oh well spannering time then.
    Mind you the chain is new so very likely to over strech.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Will that end in tears :=’ is closed to new replies.