Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • Will Tesco still be here in 20 years?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

I sometimes forget how snobby this place is…

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Nearest Tesco or Sainsbury is about six miles away, so tend to use the Waitrose that is a five to ten minute walk.

Wouldn’t mind trying any shop, but it would have to be local, shopping is bad enough without driving miles if you don’t have to.

grantway
    Free Member

Think the whole food market will change this year due China
    owning nearly the whole of Africa mainly for farming and i am lead
    to believe China are to be trying to set up supermarkets over here.

So unsure what the market changes would be here, but what i see in Spain
    Tesco should be worried if China come here.

bencooper
    Free Member

I use Waitrose, mostly because it’s cheaper. Veg from Tescos and Asda seems to go rotten really quickly.

Plus, I like how they trust their customers – walk in with shopping bags, put bags in trolley and get bleepy thing, stroll around scanning stuff and putting it straight in the bags, finish at the desk and pay what the bleepy device says. None of this “unexpected item in bagging area” that makes me quietly homicidal.

AdamW
    Free Member

Isn’t there meant to be some sort of supermarket ombudsman due to start soon? indie link

In Long Eaton there’s a big Tesco next to an Aldi. I am tempted to shop there but once got some sliced ham from them and it was crap, so am worried about the general produce. I may go in with my phone and compare prices.

konabunny
    Free Member

I believe they’ve suffered quite a large drop in profits this year

couldnt cut it in the US.

Yeah, but the US investment was never that large. It was vain for them to try.

Will Comet be still here in 20 years – I wonder if anyone asked that in 1992?

Comet was nowhere near as big and international as Tesco is, though.

China owning nearly the whole of Africa mainly for farming

Yes, that’s exactly what’s happening! 🙄

i consider it a common courtesy …He wouldn’t dare ban me or ask me to leave anyway, i’d drop him wi a head butt to his nose

lol!

konabunny
    Free Member

I would like to apologise for my comment above to grantway. I have no idea why I have to be so snotty all the time.

ojom
    Free Member

DO yourself a favour and find your local farm delivery people.

We use these guys here in Edinburgh and get a weekly drop. Super fresh, covered in mud, slugs and stuff but it all keeps well and is so much cheaper than the supermarket.

http://www.eastcoastorganics.co.uk/index.php?section=index

Then you just need the odd wee top up bit of fish or meat twice a week from a good shop on the way home from work/into work. Money saved = Massive.

I think wife n I spend about £50 a month on the farm shop thing and about £30 on meat/fish on top of that. Leaves more money for beer and stuff.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Tesco– just like any other big corporation– in it for their shareholders– will capitalism be here in twenty years ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They’ll die a death…. well maybe not a death but there popularity is on the wane and that can only be a good thing

I hope they go bust.

Really? I do hope the 472,000 (Yes, nearly half a million apparently) people they employ globally share your views. Put brain into gear, eh? That’s people earning a LIVING you want to put out of work. Phhhhhhhhhh…….

I’m sure you’d like to see other successful, long standing British firms go bust (First Tesco store opened in 1929) as well would you?

(Now I’m lumping all supermarkets together)
    See, it’s very easy to say “Buy your meat from the butchers and veg from the greengrocers” but I’d hazzard a guess that most people buy more than meat and veg in their weekly shop: What about bog rolls, toothpaste, cooking ingredients, tommy K, milk, washing powder, fish, bread, fruit juice, bin liners, rice, pasta, etc etc…..?
    I could trawl round the shops for it, sure, but the butchers is about a mile and a half from the hardware store that sells the bin liners, and I’d have to go to maybe a dozen or more shops and queue in each one for a couple of items. How long is that gonna take? More hours per week than 99.9% of people can be bothered with, that’s for sure.
    I can and do use the local butchers for meat (More of that later) but where is Mrs PP going to buy her Quorn products? And I simply don’t know of a fishmongers less than 20 miles away (Smelly Alley in Reading….)
    And that’s the first reason we all use supermarkets: Convenience/Ease/Speed

It was fine for the housewife pottering round town with a basket 100 years ago, but society has changed and we generally can’t do that anymore. 100-ish years ago the population of the UK was about 40 million, now it’s, what, 65 million plus? Things have changed. We have a lot of food to get to a lot of people, and quickly. We are an urban nation now, not a rural one.

Like I said, I use my local butchers (Woods in North Camp. Superb) but to say it’s no more expensive than a supermarket is utter tripe. It’s around 50-100% more to buy meat there.
    Mrs PP is veggie and even so, every couple of weeks I spend £30-ish on myself. And I don’t eat meat every day, and that’s not all the meat I buy anyway. A single rib-eye costs more than a whole (Battery) chicken from a supermarket, and if you don’t earn as much as we do, or have 2 kids to feed (We have none) what’s your meat bill alone gonna be from Woods? £80/week? I reckon so. Not everyone can afford it. In fact, I think MOST people won’t pay that, even if they can afford it. Yes, its fantastic quality. But that’s luxury pricing, so it is.
    So that’s the second reason we use supermarkets: Price

Yes, there are other options, and I admire those that can stay away from supermarkets all together, but we live in a crowded, urban, environment. There’s a lot of us. And, generally, we’d rather spend our leisure time with out friends and family than and extra 2-3 hours a week yomping round the shops.

(For the record, we use every supermarket. Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, Aldi, Lidl, Co-Op, occasionally Morissons or Waitrose, and pick and choose different stuff depeding on the store)

molgrips
    Free Member

Veg from my garden is flippin terrible.

phil.w
    Free Member

I sometimes forget how snobby this place is…

This place is nothing compared to Bath council.

Tesco’s tried have wanted to build a supermarket on two different sites in the last 20 years and were told in no uncertain terms to jog on; and other supermarkets went there instead.

They are now trying again. Well, I say now, they’ve owned the site for 5 years or so but can’t get planning.

All they have in Bath is a petrol station and a couple of corner shops.

binners

Apparently the biggest problem the major supermarkets have got is, somewhat perversely, online grocery shopping. Which has put Morrisons, who don’t do online shopping/home deliveries, at a distinct advantage.

They’re charging £5 for home grocery deliveries. But the orders, with delivery, are costing £15-20 each to process. And that cost isn’t going to move. But people won’t pay that. They’ll pay £5.

So…Potentailly… if we all decided right now to do all our shopping with Tesco online, we could potentially bankrupt them 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

We must be the only town without a big Tesco but we do have two express shops, great little places and very handy. We have a Tesco RDC within a few miles that employs a hell of a lot of people. I really hope they don’t go down the shitter because I don’t think the local farm shop will take up the slack. Tesco direct is great as well as I can stuff delivered to the local store without having to wait in for Mr Postman.

joao3v16
    Free Member

They’re charging £5 for home grocery deliveries. But the orders, with delivery, are costing £15-20 each to process. And that cost isn’t going to move. But people won’t pay that. They’ll pay £5.

So…Potentailly… if we all decided right now to do all our shopping with Tesco online, we could potentially bankrupt them

The other element of profit that Tesco et al are losing because of online shopping is that people will generally spend less online as they’re not walking around a store putting extra things in their trolley that they didn’t actually go in for.

We always end up spending an extra £20 or so in-store than when we shop online.

Which is why I don’t mind paying £3-£4 delivery, as overall I save (plus it costs me £1.50ish in petrol to get to the supermarket and back).

LMT
    Free Member

I really doubt tesco will be gone in 20 years, if anything will be more successful than ever, and im not saying that because i work for them, and im sure im not the only one on here that does. Currently Tesco is currently re-modelling its UK business, less new store openings, refit and refurb of tired old stores in the UK, pulling out of non-profitable situations such as Japan (last year i think it was) and US being wound down at the moment. The board have accepted they have ignored the UK market too long and the coming years will focus on regaining the UK as its an important part of the business. Early reports show Tesco won christmas this year at 1pc growth, while JS at 0.97pc and Morrisons and Asda at negative year on year growth. So goes to show they are getting something right.

Can you imagine the UK’s second biggest employer going belly up? it would kill the economy again.

konabunny
    Free Member

100-ish years ago the population of the UK was about 40 million, now it’s, what, 65 million plus? Things have changed.

That’s not that big of a change in comparison to other countries, though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bust open a pack of chicken bought on saturday with a sell by of the 10th from tesco by the mrs.

Rancid smelling as soon as i opened the pack , stringy fatty red bits – all hidden by other bits of chicken on top

yummy – straight in the bin.

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s one chicken out of thousands (millions?), trail_rat.

…plus it gave you an anecdote to post a on here. So not a complete loss.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have bought countless chickens and chicken breasts from Tesco and loads of other retailers. Only had one bad pack that I can remember, can’t even remember where it was from.

binners

Was the chicken delivered before or after your eggs?

donks
    Free Member

I think wife n I spend about £50 a month on the farm shop thing and about £30 on meat/fish on top of that. Leaves more money for beer and stuff.

That’s £80 on veg and meat but what about the few hundred quid on all the other bits the average family needs. I must spend 120 a week (there,s 4 of us plus animals) and that’s not including the little extra trips to the coop for milk etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its a sample of 1 ive had from tesco in the last year.

so thats 100% failure rate

even better – it was replaced by a pack of frozen oak ridge chicken breast 😉

ojom
    Free Member

That’s £80 on veg and meat but what about the few hundred quid on all the other bits the average family needs. I must spend 120 a week (there,s 4 of us plus animals) and that’s not including the little extra trips to the coop for milk etc.

There is just the 2 of us – no kids. No pets etc.
    We buy a ton of shittickets at a time, washy stuff etc. We actually don’t buy a huge amount of other things preferring a pretty simple home life and making do etc. If i put the wheely bin out more than once a month i get a bit worried we are going through too much stuff if you know what i mean.
    Wife does seem to buy a huge amount of scouring pads though to be fair. I suspect a few hundred pound a week on those 🙂

Our milk comes once a week in the basket with 6 eggs and some cheese. We don’t use all that before the next one arrives generally.

Jamie
    Free Member

shittickets

?

molgrips
    Free Member

shittickets
    ?

I think he means toilet paper.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbc costco is your friend for cheap shittickets(that are not like scouring pads for your arse)

Jamie
    Free Member

I think he means toilet paper.

Ah. Now it makes sense.

Another brusque Scottish colloquialism learnt learned lernered learnerised 8)

ojom
    Free Member

Sorry, that’s a sweary word! Apologies mods.

I meant dual ply toilet tissues.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve done some work for Sainsburys in the past. They aspire to be Tesco. Recruiting Tesco management is seen as a major win.
    I understand that the express stores were a major gamble which could have put them down. It paid off, so it seems.

hora
    Free Member

Tesco’s meat isles shock me. Overpriced, small etc etc etc. Then theres ALL the whole chickens with their feet cut off to hide the piss burns from being squashed/not being able to stand with ‘freedom’ etc labelling..

Of course they will be here in 20yrs. Our expectations will continue to be much much lower..

binners

Hora earlier today….

As a youth I used to weep in butcher’s shops.

nealglover
    Free Member

ALL the whole chickens with their feet cut off to hide the piss burns from being squashed/not being able to stand with ‘freedom’ etc labelling..

I’ve never bought a chicken with feet still attached, and mostly I buy meat from my local farm shop (their own free range /outdoor chickens, reared on site mostly)

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh i really wouldnt want to buy a chicken with the feet on ….. im not of far east origins.

hora
    Free Member

Oops I mean the lower legs. Just after the ‘knuckle’ you’ll sometimes see dark stains, like burns on the skin.

Jamie
    Free Member

I will be near my local Waitrose later. Might just pop in to check out the chicken feet.

philconsequence
    Free Member

what supermarket do you buy chicken with their feet still on hora?!

its horrible cutting the feet off birds, if you knick the tendon then the craws clench and it feels like its grabbing your arm despite being dead.

chvck
    Free Member

Then theres ALL the whole chickens with their feet cut off to hide the piss burns from being squashed/not being able to stand with ‘freedom’ etc labelling..

I believe that the battery hen cages of old are now illegal in the UK (bought in from abroad is another matter) and that they do have some space to move around (although they are still in cages…).

binners

joao3v16
    Free Member

If it’s chicken feet you’re after, Wing Yip’s sells bags of them in the freezer section …

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Will Tesco still be here in 20 years?’ is closed to new replies.