• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Will summer 09 be a wet one again?
  • nasher
    Free Member

Thinking of bringing some italian friends to the UK for some biking in august, but they hate rain..

So whats the likelyhood that summer 09 will be like the previous two.

Anyone got links to sites with long term forecasts, what the cyclones etc.. are doing?

Ta

kimbers

well the sun is chillaxing this year apparently
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8008473.stm%5D

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Who cares… I’m off to Oz for a year. It can rain all it likes here :p

druidh
    Free Member

Jees.Us.

They can’t get the weather right for tomorrow, let alone four months hence. There is no such thing as a “long range forecast” – it’s purely guess work.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I’m guess there could be rain for me, given that I will be in the rain forests for July and August. 🙂 Hope it’s a ncie one for you guys

jam-bo

maybe, maybe not.

ask me in september.

nickc

OK, I’ll make an educated guess about this. Last couple of years we’ve been suffering the effects of La Nina. (low pressure in the eastern pacific) one of the results of this is that it pulls the Jetstream south, and one of the effects of that is that the Icelandic low pressure region fills, and the Azores high pressure region (what makes our summers) moves further south. and the upshot of all that is mild and wet weather. Now, the La Nina weather effect has decreased, hence the colder winter we’ve had, so if everything being normal, we should see a return to more usual summer weather patterns.

Mostly

Oxboy
    Free Member

erm Is that a wet or sunny summer then nickc??
    I’m guessing you meant sunny??? . . . . mostly

nickc

Yeah, sorry, Azores High normally fills in after the second European “monsoon” (From late may through June) from about Mid July (if we’re lucky) all they way through to mid September, all those long lazy hazy humid summer days are the Azores High.

nasher
    Free Member

Nick

Thats very interesting, have you any links to sites.

I was hoping the azores high would be back to normal as we hare in Italy have experienced wet springs (whilst hot and sunny in the UK) then come June we did not have a single drop of rain until the 3rd week in September (When the Mleh guys came to visit!!!!) whilst the UK ws wet!!!

terrahawk
    Free Member

Dunno if it’s going to be wet or dry, but I do know that I’m going to be WELL PISSED OFF IF IT’S AS WET AS THE LAST 2 SUMMERS.

nickc

Sites for long range forecasting? None that are worth the name. That far ahead it’s trends and (not so) educated guesswork I’m afraid. the science is sound, and the “general situation” will be as I describe. the devil, as they say is in the detail…

james
    Free Member

Assume it will be wet, then when it is, you can’t be (as) dissapointed, if its sunny its a bonus

Doesn’t really help planning your meetup though

IdleJon

Due to the short term forecast that I am reducing my working hours to 16 per week as of 30th April, leading to an increase in availability for cycling and surfing and related activities, I would predict the worst, wettest, muddiest, flattest surf summer for a century.

juan
    Free Member

nasher it’s not like it’s bone dry in Nice at the moment 😉
    Are you thinking of bringing peo and co?

nasher
    Free Member

Hey Juan

Yeah, however they have heard of the past two summers and are not too sure.

We are having a lot of guys from Nice over at the mo…you plan to come visit?

juan
    Free Member

well I am nowhere good enough to ride down triora at the moment 🙁
    I am not even good enough to ride the switch 🙁

RepacK
    Free Member

Dont mention the R word! DONT mention the R word!! NO its been done we are doomed!!! DOOMED I tells ya!!!! Aaaaaggghhhhh…… 😕 :mrgreen: 😈

alpin
    Free Member

the weather here in germany has been spot on for 2-3 weeks. it has rained once and that was continuously on saturday. other than that it has been between 20-27oC.

the UK really does get a battering from the jet stream. rain i can deal with it is the low grey cloud and lack of blue i don’t miss….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

August 22nd / 23rd is guarenteed sunshine* for the http://www.bigbikebash.co.uk/

*If sunshine is unavailable alternative weather will be supplied

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There is no such thing as a “long range forecast” – it’s purely guess work.

No, not entirely……
    🙂

hora
    Free Member

Sadly its going to be the other way this summer, a heatwave so we will suffer. Trust me. I can’t tell you how I know this, I do.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Will summer 09 be a wet one again?’ is closed to new replies.