Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Will Shimano SLX m665 brakes work with avid adaptors and rotors?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

As title really. Just picked up a bargin set of SLX m665 brakes and If possible i’d like to use them on my avid g3 rotors with the adaptors off my juicy 5’s. Any thoughts – Will I die?

stevious

Rotors yes, but adaptors no.

Rosss
    Free Member

Cheers thats Bugger! but on a cheaper level

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rosss
    Free Member

Anybody else? The calipers look strikingly similar and the way they bolt to the adaptor looks the same!

jonke
    Free Member

what size are the rotors?

Rosss
    Free Member

203 and 185 I believe

nick1962
    Free Member

YES. Got SLX brakes on Avid 185 adapters with Avid 185mm rotors on my Spesh no problem.You just need to experiment with the washers to make sure the calipers cover most of the disc braking surface and obviously check that the caliper doesn’t rub/catch thedisc or spokes as you would with any brake.Also ran with a 203 disc no problem. Anyway don’t listen to the STW contradictory massive just try it yourself,it’s pretty obvious if it works or not 🙂
    And I can guarantee if you fit the brakes,turn your bike upside and spin the wheel beforehand it will avoid any unecessary death on your part

Rosss
    Free Member

Thats a massive relief, Cheers Nick! 😆

billyboy
    Free Member

Fit it and see…I doubt the adaptors will fit but never tried myself…SLX adaptors will be for 180 so you’ll have to shim out with washers

jonke
    Free Member

I did a similar thing to get avid brakes to work with a 183mm Hope floating rotor (I’m vain and I thought they looked purdy). Ran it for many miles and worked just fine.

nigew
    Free Member

As Nick1962 said they will work if you use the washers aswell, ive got SLX running on 185 avid rotors too!

Dickyboy

Just this minute finished fitting LX m585 calipers with avid 185 adaptor onto formula 185 disc, looks okay to me – won’t let you know if I die this afternoon on the test ride though

I_Ache
    Free Member

Dicky did you die?

I’m thinking about doing the same.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Ross: leave the spacers out and boly your slx straight onto your mounts.

I have done exactly what you are asking on a couple of bikes (shimano brakes onto avid mounts) and they were just fine. Avid calipers are ‘spaced’ so that you need the conical spacers to set them right whatever mounts (and matching rotor size) you use, ie the difference is on the caliper not the adapter.

(The difficulty you may have later down the line is that shimano do not make a 185mm rotor. So if you replace your worn out or bent rotors with shimano 180mm, you will need a new front mount too as your brake will be 2.5mm too far away from the centre of the rotor. This becomes dangerous when you wear most of the pads except 2.5mm at the top and then those two ‘steps’ close against each other and the rest of the pads stop gripping the rotor and slowing you down.)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Will Shimano SLX m665 brakes work with avid adaptors and rotors?’ is closed to new replies.