Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Will self determination ultimately undo Alex Salmond?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Will self-determination be taken to the logical conclusion of allowing the Orkney and Shetland islanders to vote separately on what part of the Union, if any, they want to be a part of?

If the article in today’s Torygraph is to be believed, they do not want to be governed by Edinburgh. They prefer either (1) the Union or (2) independence themselves. At the very least, they want to extend Salmond’s principles further along the curve to say that they should have a much greater portion of oil and gas revenues for themselves.

Why should Salmond be the only politician who is able to use oil wealth to argue for self-determination?

Or maybe, they should rejoin Norway (based on the same historical arguments put forward by the SNP) and they could have the revenue!!

Interesting irony to all of this!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the article in today’s Torygraph is to be believed

Its not.

there is no significant independence movement on the islands.

should Glasgow get a separate vote? Berwick?

binners

They could set up an ‘Arc of Prosperity’ with the Falkland Islands 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrecker
    Free Member

Its not.

Well that’s that sorted then!

Not yet

The british govt will be encouraging the S&O isles to push for this. If the islanders decide that they want a vote, then they should absolutely get one.

hora
    Free Member

Class, 2 mins after posting and TJ’s there! 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

?

binners

jota180
    Free Member

The biggest issue will remain the EU

They will have to go into the referendum without knowing whether or not they’ll stay as an EU member, have to re-apply, take the € or stay with the £
    The EU have already said they can’t make a decision until after any referendum

Too many unknowns IMO – it’s going to end up like a Rumsfeld speech

hora
    Free Member

have a much greater portion of oil and gas revenues for themselves.

One day its going to run out…..what will happen then if they stand alone? Be a Golf resort?

wrecker
    Free Member

Be a Golf resort?

Is it hilly? I may have an idea…..

jota180
    Free Member
    ohnohesback
    Free Member

They’ll fall for the Great Windpower Con…

binners

One day its going to run out…..what will happen then if they stand alone?

They’re going to put 7 wind turbines in everyone’s back garden, and supply the rest of Europe with renewable energy

Oh…. and shortbread. Don’t forget the shortbread exports

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    If the article in today’s Torygraph is to be believed
    Its not.

Ah, Sophism isn’t dead, phew!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

should Glasgow get a separate vote? Berwick?

Scotland, Cornwall….?

Very convenient for Sturgeon to categorically state that the islanders are, “not a nation” (even though the SNP had previously recognised their right to decide their own future). Hmmmm……

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Given that it takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown… is it possible that there is an untapped energy source here?

konabunny
    Free Member

ha ha ha @ tsy!

They will have to go into the referendum without knowing whether or not they’ll … take the € or stay with the £

As an aside, it would of course be open to an independent Scotland to form its own currency or adopt a foreign currency that is neither the pound nor the Euro. On a practical basis, I doubt that would happen.

druidh
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    If the article in today’s Torygraph is to be believed,

That’s your problem, right there.

BikePawl
    Free Member

And to go one better than Braveheart, the Scottish Government are promoting a Disney film

I think we’ll all have to wear government issue “see you jimmy hats” in the future

jota180
    Free Member

As an aside, it would of course be open to an independent Scotland to form its own currency or adopt a foreign currency that is neither the pound nor the Euro

I guess that would depend on the terms of any EU deal [possible compulsory €] – which the good folks of Scotland will be unaware of until after the referendum

druidh
    Free Member

International law suggests that the Orkneys and Shetlands would be treated as an enclave on the “Scottish” continental shelf and would only have mineral rights over an area some 12 miles out from their coast – i.e. an area which currently contains no oil or gas fields.

http://www.ejil.org/pdfs/12/1/505.pdf

wrecker
    Free Member

So everyone is wrong about the S&O’s oil/gas entitlements then?
    I don’t think so.

aracer
    Free Member

International law suggests that the Orkneys and Shetlands would be treated as an enclave on the “Scottish” continental shelf and would only have mineral rights over an area some 12 miles out from their coast – i.e. an area which currently contains no oil or gas fields

Ah – so Scotland is actually an enclave on the UK continental shelf – it seems they’re a bit stuffed.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks for posting that druidh, but not sure about your conclusion. This is one person’s interpretation of IL, not IL itself surely?

(page 104?)

druidh
    Free Member

thm – law “is” opinion 🙂

The “in my opinion” comment seems to refer to the possibility of extending the O&S rights beyond the minimum in order to safeguard some rights for them and to prevent a dispute with Norway and Denmark. Or have I read it wrong?

konabunny
    Free Member

International law suggests that the Orkneys and Shetlands would be treated as an enclave on the “Scottish” continental shelf and would only have mineral rights over an area some 12 miles out from their coast

That’s not what the article says – it says there are several models which might be applied and that the enclave model wouldn’t necessarily be 12 miles. See p.103.

wrecker
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take it too seriously anyway. It’s one paper written by a scottish based lawyer with more expertise in religion than in international boundaries.

konabunny
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take it too seriously anyway

Did you actually read it or just google the author’s name?

druidh
    Free Member

konabunny – Member
    Did you actually read it or just google the author’s name?

If he read it after I first posted the link then he has some pretty impressive fast reading skills.

Kit
    Free Member

I’d like to know how oil and gas will support Scotland beyond 20-30 years, to be honest…

Production Data by Ginger F0x, on Flickr

(2011 data only to June)

wrecker
    Free Member

Kit seems to like female midriffs……. 😀

Kit
    Free Member

Kit seems to like female midriffs…….

You’re not wrong there 😉

druidh
    Free Member

It’s the bits above and below he’s uncertain about.

jota180
    Free Member

You seem to need a yahoo acc to access that graph

Kit
    Free Member

jota – you can basically read it from my post – volumes of oil, gas, associated gas and gas condensate produced from the UK North sea from 1976 – 2011, in millions of cubic meters. The trend is downward with only around 20 years worth of production left at current rates. This assumes no significant new discoveries (highly unlikely) and no CO2 enhanced oil recovery (still too expensive).

jota180
    Free Member

jota – you can basically read it from my post

Not with my eyes you can’t 🙂

anyway, I guess it’s much the same detail as in the link I posted earlier

Kit
    Free Member

Not with my eyes you can’t

Sorry about that 🙁 And yes, the Bloomberg report cites DECC data, from which my graph was drawn.

bigjim

Well, there will be a lot of money in decommissioning oil fields, so that’ll provide some income for a few years, though the work is already under way for some fields. Some fields are having their lives extended and new areas like the deep west of shetland waters are being moved into, so there is some life in oil yet, but not much.

Independance would be a disaster for Scotland and would set our ‘poor man of europe’ status in stone for generations.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Independance would be a disaster for Scotland and would set our ‘poor man of europe’ status in stone for generations.

Bollocks.

bigjim

Bollocks.

I know, its scary innit!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Will self determination ultimately undo Alex Salmond?’ is closed to new replies.