Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Will offset bushings reduce stand-over height Orange Five?
  • jonperry
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Currently have an 18″ Orange Five, it’s a little too big. Would adding Offset bushings to the rear shock lower the standover height. Anyone have any experience with this?

Looking at purchasing a set from http://www.offsetbushings.com/

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

clubber
    Free Member

It’s unlikely to change it by enough to really make a difference.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

how much do you need?

If you sac is catching then probably not enough

roverpig

In theory, yes, as they basically lift the swingarm up a bit. So head and seat angles are reduced, as are BB and standover height. But not by much.

scruff
    Free Member

It can lower the BB and alter the angle of the dangle, it may be half an inch lower at most.

legend
    Free Member

If its too big offset bushes won’t help. Yes it’ll be lower but everything else will be exactly the same

jonperry
    Free Member

Ideally I’d want to reduce by an inch but at the cost of a new frame I’d rather try offset bushings first.

Sac doesn’t catch that often [touch wood]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sac doesn’t catch that often [touch wood]

PMSL

nick1962
    Free Member

Maybe you’d be better borrowing a pair of 5 tens to see if increasing your height helps and/or maybe lower profile tyres,might just do the trick.The next size down Orange frames is a 17 inch with only 20mm more standover.My 5:tens make me an inch taller!
    Mind you if the frame is too tall then you really need a frame with a lower standover height

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Offset bushings are for slackening everything out, not for making wrong sized frames fit people. Do you want to slacken everything out as well?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh, and plus I find I hit my cranks on stuff on my Five more than any other bike I’ve ever owned. Lowering the BB height would be the last thing I’d want!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Offset bushings are generally 2mm or 3mm. A pair of 3mm bushes leads to a reduction in effective eye to eye of 6mm, so at rest it’s equal to the current shock compressed by 6mm.

Orange 5 has 140mm from a 51mm stroke shock is approx 2.75:1 – so a 6mm shock drop would move the wheel up by about 16mm.

That’s at the rear wheel – the drop at the top tube would be about half that so nowhere near the inch you desire.

Plus above, slacker, lower, possible clearance problems…

jonperry
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments, I think a new frame would be the most effective option.

What to buy, smaller Five or something else. SB-66 looks tempting 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Will offset bushings reduce stand-over height Orange Five?’ is closed to new replies.