Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Will my broadband still work if I cancel my BT phoneline?
  • AB
    Free Member

I have Orange broadband connected through my phoneline, but would like to cancel my BT phone line as I think they are robbing Bar Stewards.

If I cancel my phone line rental with them, will my broadband still work?

If not, are there any other alternatives?

Thanks

jam-bo

no. not unless you have cable in your area.

mudshark
    Free Member

My neighbour uses these guys and is happy

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/products/broadband/switching-provider

mudshark
    Free Member
    stumpy01

We've just switched to TalkTalk.

Now it's up & running it's pretty cheap – we are paying £22/month for 8Mb broadband + phone with free evening & weekend calls. This includes 'BT line rental' that you sometimes have to pay on top with other companies.

Only drawback seems to be that when you sign up you have to pay this fee/that fee etc. and so the first couple of months seem to cost an awful lot.
    Also make sure that they do cancel your broadband, as they switched us over, but didn't cancel our previous contract (which they said would happen automatically) so we ended up paying 2 months of Orange Broadband we needn't have.

AB
    Free Member

Does switching telephone line rental providers affect your existing broadband service?

BoardinBob

Sky are offering their own line rental too in place of BT

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/skytalk/linerental

stumpy01

AB – it shouldn't do.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

If you cancel your telephone line it will cease your broadband. If you are into a 12 month contract with BT for your BB then they will expect you to pay for the remaining contract term.

I would look into your BB contract first and if possible cancel this before your telephone line.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Sorry didn't read original post. You may want to check with Orange whether your BB account will remain open or will be cancelled due to lack of facilities i.e. telephone line.

If not then you can cancel your line with BT, get another provider, and reactivate your bb on this line.

Although thats generally how it should work i think you are in for a lot of headaches and swearing and lack of bb.

devs
    Free Member

In answer to the original question cancelling the line will cancel all services on it including BB. Thats the theory, in test I have known BB still be live on a dead line but I wouldn't bank on it.
    If you tranfer the line to another provider it is possible to keep the BB on it but again I wouldn't bank on it particularly if you go to TT or Piscali who are driving an LLU campaign implemented by imbeciles, controlled by monkeys and supported by buffoons. You almost definitely waste far more money on the phone trying to explain what you want and trying to get someone to rectify it. Wait untl your contract is up would be my advice then swap lock stock and barrel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Will my broadband still work if I cancel my BT phoneline?’ is closed to new replies.