Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • will mtb cranks work ok on a cx bike?
  • dobo
    Free Member

Anything to watch out for? Thinking of using a single ring on shimano xt cranks

scaredypants

weird chainline maybe ?

dunno what cx frames are designed for (or mtbs if I’m honest)

</gobshite>

dobo
    Free Member

nobody done this? think mtb cranks are wider than road so shouldnt cause an issue? might have to shim the ring to get a perfect chainline?

convert

Got an On One ti cross (sadly defunct but same geometry PX uncle john) that now has an XT “trekking” chainset (48-36-26). 68mm BB shell & 135mm dropouts. It gets used for “recreational” cross (mincing around the south downs mainly), winter road bike and touring bike and find this chainset combined with a mtb and road cassette does all that I need. Works a treat although setting up the front mech (you need to use a road triple front mech with stis to get the right amount of swing – mtb one won’t hack it) was a little fiddly. I ended up with the BB spacers the wrong way from conventional (2 on non drive side, one on drive maybe – can’t remember and it’s dark out- it was not the normal setup certainly) to tweak the chainline a little.

oldgit
    Free Member

Used a Raceface Evolve with a Blackspire, that ran a 108 bottom bracket. No issues at all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘will mtb cranks work ok on a cx bike?’ is closed to new replies.