Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 229 total)
  • Will it kick off big time in Londn tomorrow?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

From one of the Sky reporters twitter

juliareid21Overheard one protester to another… What is that? Oh that is the bank of england…#g20

Classic! 😆

pk-ripper
    Free Member

plenty of suits happily wandering around between Swiss Re and Lloyds.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

peaceful protestors always wear hoodies and scarves. muppets.

More people on protests have taken to concealing their identities, due to the proliferation of surveillance by the police. Many believe this is a violation of their civil liberties, so take appropriate action. This is not illegal. The police have, in the past, removed identification from their uniforms, during protests and demonstrations. What’s the reason for this? Are they muppets too?

If people want, I can nip round to the chemists, and stock up on Imodium, and come and deliver it to your offices. PK; can I put you down for an extra-large pack?

I’m hoping to nip over the Canary Wharf, later, see what’s what, maybe take some pics.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Now then, do I have champagne at lunch, or a bottle of the Corner Shop’s rather decent Claret?

kimbers

it seems to be kicking off a bit on the bbc some shoving of the police
    but seem to be nearly as many journos, especially photographers as demonstrators

pk-ripper
    Free Member

CF, I’d actually be tempted by a bottle of Lebanese over lunch, plenty there to spark the palate.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Flashy; I could meet you!

I’ll bring the kebabs, you supply the wine!

You want chilli sauce with that?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I’ll skip the Beluga today

kimbers

well this is turning out to be a rather entertaining inaugural financial fools day

GrahamS

I’m hoping to nip over the Canary Wharf, later, see what’s what, maybe take some pics.

Don’t take any pics of police officers or you’ll be charged under the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008.

Farticus

No point coming to Canary Wharf. It’s as dull as usual round here, much to the disgust of the security people. A couple of rolling road blocks aside it’s a normal, beige day here.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s some scruffy oik with a megaphone outside the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street trying to whip up a frenzy.

Anyone care to place a bet on the nature of his education and family background? Trustafarian, I’d wager….

And, as to the issue of all the other great unwashed dressed in their black hoodies, balaclavas and the like….Intent on a peaceful protest? Bullsh1t. They’re just the usual rent a mob who turn up at anything looking for a fight. **** the lot of them.

yossarian
    Free Member

police being forced backwards now, many many more people here than anticipated i think

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hang on, Flashy! That means you’re blaming…

…the Middle Classes.

Dear God.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed I am. Arriviste scum the lot of them. 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

it’s a normal, beige day here.

Are there any protesters there, though?

I really don’t fancy being in the scrum at Bank, tbh. Fluffy and peaceful suits (!) me…

The-Beard

*loads tear gas into grenade launcher*

Wait ’til you see the whites of their eyes, boys!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

They’re just the usual rent a mob who turn up at anything looking for a fight. **** the lot of them.

I agree. But most people there seem to be just normal bods. A lot of ‘studenty’ types, it looks like, but you’ll always get the young idealistic people at things like this. And quite right, an’ all. Plenty of healthy young energetic shouty people!

Farticus

Nothing I can see, Rudeboy. They couldn’t cope with the wall of indifference, I suspect.

nedrapier

“A lot of ‘studenty’ types”

Probably dressed down city workers come to see what all the fuss is about.

Anyone fancy a pint in the Lamb?

aP
    Free Member

Any excitement going on as I’m about to head off, suit ‘n’ all.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I really do hope it does not in any way kick off, because undoubtedly, innocent people will get hurt. And as for those who’d attack someone in a suit, well, I see that as akin to racism; acting with prejudice towards someone for their appearance, opinions and way of life. That’s not right. Good to see so many people defying ‘police advice’, and just wearing what they choose to. Fair play to them.

Not everyone in a suit is a ****. Likewise, the same goes for people with dreadlocks, hoodies, dogs on string etc.

andywhit
    Free Member

“1230: City workers have been leaning out of windows to wave £10 notes at G20 protesters on the streets below, the Press Association reports. Demonstrators responded with jeers and shouts, their reporter says.”

lol

Stoner
    Free Member

well that’s inflation for you. In 1999 it was £50 notes 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

It’s kicking off now

MrSmith
    Free Member

i’m off in a few minutes with my ‘get a job you workshy soapdodger’ placard.
    i couldn’t get a bowler hat to go with the suit though.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes, there’s some scuffling developing. Seems to stem from one or two individuals, who are goading the police. This is just the kind of thing that is not needed. It just takes a tiny spark, then you’ve got mass hysteria, and it all goes horribly wrong.

i’m off in a few minutes with my ‘get a job you workshy soapdodger’ placard.

I’m assuming that’s a joke, but is not that just antagonistic, and adding fuel to the flames?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Hopefully. It’s deadly dull at the moment. We need more violence. All those camera crews and journalists are going to be very peeved if it doesn’t kick off 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

I’m assuming that’s a joke, but is not that just antagonistic, and adding fuel to the flames?

I’m sure the protesters aren’t keeping track of this thread on their iPhones, so don’t think that comment will act as any sort of catalyst for trouble or violence.

robdob
    Free Member

I wish I was in London to back you up Mr Smith. I’ve got a spare “get a job, get a haircut” placard I haven’t used for a while. 🙂

duckman

Rudeboy in adding fuel to the flames comment, oh the irony!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’m sure the protesters aren’t keeping track of this thread on their iPhones, so don’t think that comment will act as any sort of catalyst for trouble or violence.

Probbly right, but it does point towards the animosity between people, which is understandable, and has been intensified by the media.

Of course, nothing is actually stopping you from forming your own counter-protest. In fact, please do, as it can surely only contribute toward the democratic process; good to have as many diverse opinions as possible, surely?

I’m afraid there will be a bit of a mark-up on the Imodium; supply and demand, ‘Market Forces’. I’m sure you understand that. 😉

Rudeboy in adding fuel to the flames comment, oh the irony!

Shhhh….

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I just wandered down to bank, in my suit and tie. not really much happenning at all. the police are keeping them pretty well penned in.

Plenty of people in suits etc right up close to the action, and no ill feeling there. Business as usual as far as all but those in the square are concerned.

nickname
    Free Member

I feel a bit left out as I’m in Barbican, nothing ever happens here 🙁 All I get is the buzz of the chopper hovering over Bank.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve just rode around the BofE – it’s mostly city workers taking pictures on their mobiles of the police, photographers and the odd brick thrower

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Right it’s official going tits up. The RBS building being assulted is on my route to the station!

Farticus

That’s good, pk-ripper. When my offices were in the City I joined the 2000 protest – well, it was the only way to get across Cornhill to the Mont Blanc shop 😀 Wierd experience – naked people, some up lampposts, ambled along in a carnival atmosphere (OK, those up the lampposts sort of hung around, but you get the picture). Very nice – hardest thimng I had to do was to talk my way back into work past the over-zealous security people.

Anyway, all quiet on the Eastern Front still.

duckman

Any live feeds on any of the news channels?

nickname
    Free Member

Any live feeds on any of the news channels?

Nah, they’ve gone all modern with twitter these days dontcha know 😉

Not sure to be honest 🙂

Shandy
    Free Member

Raving loons out the front of RBS. There seems to be a fair mix of genuinely concerned people, knobs out to casue trouble, and students with nothing better to do.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘Will it kick off big time in Londn tomorrow?’ is closed to new replies.