Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Will is get better?
  • jcromton
    Free Member

Hello,

I think it might be an age old question, but here we are. Today I had to replace my chain, I didn't think my drivechain was that old, but naturally my chain gets horrific chain suck in the granny and the middle at the back skips like an otter. Will it get better as the chain stretches??

Also, I'd like to say thank you to the people who told me where to go today at Lee quarry. I was the one with gear issues.

Many thanks

Kevevs
    Free Member

adjust it properly? most bike mechanical stuff you need to know is here, pretty easy..

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

scaredypants

Might get better as the chain stretches but won't be "right" til chain is like the one you took off (which, presumably, is knackered ?)

How much wear did the old one have?

druidh
    Free Member

If you've left it too long, the old chain will have knackered the rest of your drive train. Put a new chain on and it will rapidly wear.

The most cost-effective option is to replace the whole lot, then remember to change your chain as it gets to the 75% worn limit.

jcromton
    Free Member

The old chain was working perfectly until I bent it. (Put a kink in it). It shouldn't have been knackered as I hadn't had it on for that long and so I wanted to change it before it got to this stage in order to maximise the life of my chainset.

Time to buy a chain checker.

theotherjonv

use a ruler as a first measure.

jcromton
    Free Member

druidh, this is what I was trying to do! But it seems I've left it too long. All this could be solved if I had a chain wear checker tool thingy. I replaced the whooole drive chain (dérailleur and all). Next time I'll get it right!

druidh
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    use a ruler as a first measure.

😆

druidh
    Free Member

£8 from Halfords – you know it makes sense 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Will is get better?’ is closed to new replies.