Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • will i wreck my frame if i put the front mech over a bottle mount hole
  • well, as the title says.
    i have a new s-works alu frame and with the 48t large xt chainring, the xt conventional front mech needs to be positioned where the bolt hole is for the bottle carrier. trouble is is that the hole thread sticks out of the frame by half a mm or so an i dont want to push it in and weaken the frame.
    anyone knows?

if it's a non-starter, what should i do? use a low swing or e type? what are the differences?

thanks

bristolbiker
    Free Member

To the original question – IMO, yes, it would be a very bad idea…..

As to what to do, others will be along shortly….. 😉

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Change the front mech type, your frame might have been designed for an E type/low swing mech. Shifting will be the same. E Type have a bracket that mounts to the BB, low swing simply have the clamp lower. Thats the type I'd use.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had that problem on a DMR switchback designed for the newfangled swingy mechs that last 5 minutes in the mud. To fit a conventional one i carefully filed down the potruding bit (took a while on steel, should be much easier on aluminium) and put some black lecy tape over the hole (mech only half covered it).

Was fine for years, your experience may vary.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I'd try a different swing mech if it was me…

bobster
    Free Member

Had sim problem fitting a top swing to frame, prefer them as mud doesn't get caught in it leading to early demise.

Dremel to the band to cut a small semi circle cutaway, and hey presto band up snug to hole. Been running for a year.

tron
    Free Member

I'd file the mech band.

allthepies
    Free Member

I'd get one which fits properly 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘will i wreck my frame if i put the front mech over a bottle mount hole’ is closed to new replies.